Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

suggestions for travel January 2008?
Old 01-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #1

suggestions for travel January 2008?

Hi All!

Next year for my 40th b-day I want to go somewhere fun and invite any/all of my friends/family to join me. I was hoping to get some ideas of places to research further from the board.

I plan to go away for ~ 1 week. I'm interested in something either in the Carribean area or Mexico - basically some place a fairly close flight to the USA to keep costs down, which I'm hoping will encourage more friends/family to join us.

I love to snorkel, so this is really important. We also like to hike, bike, and like the beach. A cruise is a possibility, but still unsure about this as I did get seasick once on a sailboat DH and I are somewhat of the explorer types on vacations...like to find things a little off the beaten track.

I also want to look at options for group rates, so if anyone has any tips on this that would be great. Trying to keep the vacation reasonable for others.

Thanks!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: suggestions for travel January 2008?
Old 01-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where is departure point? That does impact for pricing suggestions.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You might enjoy St. Lucia. Lots to do, very scenic and friendly people who speak English. There is a big wedding industry so they have a lot of experience with groups. There are daily flights from Miami and flights several times weekly from other US cities. Most of the resorts are on the western (Caribbean) coast of the island and include Sandals and the Windjammer.

St. Lucia Tourist Board - don't forget to download the music files to play while you browse!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
Where is departure point? That does impact for pricing suggestions.
Well, multiple places, since friends/family are all over the country. Can include PA, CA, MS, NH, FL. PA would likely be departure point for most (Pitt for some, Phila for others).

Old 01-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Cruises are very inexpensive in January .I did a group cruise with my family for my mother's birthday and we all had a ball.Plus they do give group rates.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
A cruise is a possibility, but still unsure about this as I did get seasick once on a sailboat
Modern cruise ships are much more stable than sailboats. Most of the time you can't tell the ship is moving. Nevertheless, a minority of people do get queasy when there is a swell. Chances are you would be fine.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 PM   #7

some people who get seasick just get sick at the start and then they are ok. also there are lots of remedies these days. i like the eastern caribbean better than the west though you'll find great snorkling throughout. we lived on st. croix usvi for a short time while i was in high school so i used to snorkle right in my back yard. that was back in the 70s though & i understand they've lost a lot of reef since then.

sounds like most of your family is on the east coast. so the nearest best area would likely be the bahamas. you could get a boat that would accomodate everyone (if they are very friendly).

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would suggest Vieques or Culebra. These are known as the "Spanish Virgin Islands" but they are actually part of Puerto Rico. I've been to Vieques (several times) but not Culebra. Fantastic snorkelling, lovely beaches, and very relaxed atmosphere. Reasonably priced, and if you have a sizable grup you can rent a house.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #9

Thanks all for the suggestions! I'm going to check out some travel books from the library and do some more online research.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:52 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, it's January. What did you decide?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Well, it's January. What did you decide?

We decided on a cruise and had a BLAST! Now I can't wait to do the next one!

I felt a little queasy the first night when the seas were sort of rough (ever try dancing when the floor is moving?) However I just took a little medicine and wore those wrist bands, and I was completely fine.

Fun, fun, fun!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I would suggest Vieques or Culebra. These are known as the "Spanish Virgin Islands" but they are actually part of Puerto Rico. I've been to Vieques (several times) but not Culebra. Fantastic snorkelling, lovely beaches, and very relaxed atmosphere. Reasonably priced, and if you have a sizable grup you can rent a house.
You beat me to the suggestion. I've been both to Vieques and Culebra many times (in fact, I'm looking across the sea at both islands as I type this), and both would serve the purpose well.

Culebra is a little more built out than Vieques, and it's smaller, without as many remote areas to be alone in. However, there is a smaller island, Culebrita, a mile off Culebra that is uninhabited and can only be reached by boat. There's a water taxi that will drop you off for the day and you can hike on the hills, go to deserted beaches, and snorkel until he comes back to pick you up. Since he is the only way to get back, I note everyone is super nice and courteous to him. Culebra itself has one of the nicest beaches in the caribbean -- in fact, it was named a top 10 beach in the world by the travel channel.

Here are some links.

Culebra, Puerto Rico - The Island Travel Guide
Visit Culebra, Puerto Rico - the best kept secret in the Spanish Virgin Islands
A Vieques Island Travel Guide, Puerto Rico Caribbean
Vieques Island Puerto Rico. Vieques PR Hotel / Lodging Guide. Vieques beaches

simple girl if you're interested, PM me and I will give you some suggestions of where to stay.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep cruises are a blast, wife and I taking a 2 week southern/western Caribbean cruise next week!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
Yep cruises are a blast, wife and I taking a 2 week southern/western Caribbean cruise next week!
Ooooh, I'd love to do a 2 week cruise sometime, especially if they gave you more time in ports. What ports are you visiting? We went to Roatan, Santo Tomas (Guatemala), Belize, and Cozumel.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

A nice cruise is Bermuda .They spend a few days in each port .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

St. John, USVI is fairly easy to get to. The good thing is that a majority of the island is owned by the US Park Service, so it's not totally overpopulated. It's a clean, safe island and it has really good snorkeling. You can rent a villa/house right on the water that sleeps as many people as you can bring. I've seen some houses for rent there that would sleep 24. There are also several resorts. Personally, I'd rather rent a villa and car and travel around the whole island snorkeling at the various ideal locations, rather than sit on one tiny piece of the island, but that's just me.

It may not be your thing. It's definitely not a ritzy place, but it's clean and not packed with tourists from cruise ships. It's laid back. If you like beer, burgers and snorkeling, it's a great little island.

It's easily accessible, too. You can take a flight from Miami straight into St. Thomas and then a short ferry ride right onto St. John.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Ooooh, I'd love to do a 2 week cruise sometime, especially if they gave you more time in ports. What ports are you visiting? We went to Roatan, Santo Tomas (Guatemala), Belize, and Cozumel.
Miami
Samana
Tortola
Antiqua
barbados
St. Lucia
Cozumel
Grand Cayman
Curacao