Join Early Retirement Today

Summer brushfire season
Old 08-18-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Summer brushfire season

Our property is a cul-de-sac at the end of the neighborhood overlooking a gulch. The surroundings are mostly conservation/agriculture land and old military property.

Not an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon... both a CH-46 and a CH-53 were dropping water on the next ridge while we waited to see where we'd be spending the night.

All things considered I'd rather deal with hurricanes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brush fire.JPG (53.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Brush fire helicopter.JPG (31.3 KB, 60 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Summer brushfire season
Old 08-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #2

That was the scene from our old house on Oct 19, 1991. The next day the fire rekindled and became the Oakland Firestorm, and our house burned along with those of hundreds of others.

Based on that my advice is to copy all your pictures to a CD and mail them to someone, then go through your house with a video camera and document all your stuff so you know what to write down on the insurance claim forms if worse comes to worse.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm with Al on the video inventory.

When I lived in the mountains, 3 fires merged in the canyon behind my house and we were evacuated twice within a week or two. We were out for a full week the last time before they got the fire out. It's so scary. Makes you realize a home is only that. It's the people who count (and some stuff).
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Up until about a year ago we lived next to a cane field. These photos were taken from a small deck off the kitchen. The big problem is that the field extends upwind of our place. For a few days a year we had to leave because of the smoke. Afterwards everything in and around the house was filthy. Got me thinking about the meaning of 'raising cane'.

[img width=562 height=421]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/jbgrge/paiafire1.jpg[/img]
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
Afterwards everything in and around the house was filthy.* Got me thinking about the meaning of 'raising cane'.
And then there's the temporarily-dislocated critters that move in with you...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We do the drill - evacuate for hurricanes with 'some' frequency.

Three things really count - clean underwear, a good credit card, and the family pictures.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
And then there's the temporarily-dislocated critters that move in with you...
Nords: Yesterday I had a 'Trombone Al moment' with you in it. I can't remember who said they thought of 'T-Al in the grass' while wandering around a Saturday rumage sale. Anyway, the judge was lecturing us yesterday morning about evidence. He turned into you. Bad juju for me.

--Greg
Old 08-18-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I just went camping among the biggest fire in British Columbia. Oddly enough I have a very similar picture to what you took of the helicopter picking up water to drop, right in front of where we were beaching. You can read about it and see the pics on my blog at*Fire and Icey Cold Water