Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Summer is finally arriving in Wisconsin. Was a very cold spring but things are coming up fine now. I actually like hot humid nights now that I'm retired. Can sit on the porch for hours sipping on a good bourban and wondering what I'm going to do the next day. Unfortuneately, the DW (who alas still works) reminds me of all the honey do lists I have for the next day. . . .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #22

Summer is here in Ill - tons of yard work to do. I noticed I had 2 pics taken from the same point - 1 in winter during the 2011 "blizzard" - and another taken today after hard day of yard work.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I managed to get the front and back lawn mowed again yesterday...in 86F sunny weather before it poured buckets again.
I got a very minor sunburn on my back and a nice tan on my arms and legs. Once I have tank top tan lines, it is officially summer.
Now I have to lose the tan lines. My back deck in my fully private backyard (tree and wooden fence bordered) awaits...

FIRE is so wonderful.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #24

Broke 50 today, summer is here (again)
Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just checked our local weather channel and the current temperature is 79 in downtown Tampa at 10PM. Forecast is for 90 every day next week and a low of 71. That's closer to the water so the temps are lower. Inland you can add about 5 degrees. As they say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. When the humidity is up, you can work up a sweat just getting the newspaper. One thing I like about this area is you very seldom see the temp above 94 or 95. That's about as hot as it gets. We golf early, tee off about 8AM and drinking a beer at noon with lunch. The high heat hits about 4PM. Y'all stay cool.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in the Pacific Northwet, it was 58 yesterday, 8 degrees below average. So far in May we have had only 3 days without measurable precip, and we have consistently been 6-8 degrees below average. This, after the coldest April in 126 years of recorded data.

My back grass is black from spraying moss killer, but its so wet you can't rake out the moss. I need three dry days in a row so I can mow. It might be 62 tomorrow......

The gas company here is making record profits because everyone still has their heat running.

Well, got to get it in gear and get my walk in.....supposed to start raining at one pm.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Here in the Pacific Northwet, it was 58 yesterday, 8 degrees below average. So far in May we have had only 3 days without measurable precip, and we have consistently been 6-8 degrees below average. This, after the coldest April in 126 years of recorded data.

My back grass is black from spraying moss killer, but its so wet you can't rake out the moss. I need three dry days in a row so I can mow. It might be 62 tomorrow......

The gas company here is making record profits because everyone still has their heat running.

Well, got to get it in gear and get my walk in.....supposed to start raining at one pm.
I'm visiting family in Westchester Co NY. We got rained on pretty well at my niece's graduation, and it's been very warm and pretty humid here the last several days...it's quite a shock to the system to come here from Seattle where the newspaper headlines when I left last week were "Will Today be the Day [we finally top 70 degrees]? It's fun to visit family but I'm looking forward to returning to the Pacific NW climate. After almost 30 years in Washington I've mostly lost my ability to cope with high temperatures, especially when it doesn't cool off much at night.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, at 6:45 this morning it was 72.9 in the house and 74 outside - so I shut up the place for the day. That black dead moss thing is just so darn familiar - should be back up and freezing and soggy in 10 days or so.... I sure like sleeping cool though..
Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I think we moved to the Pacific Northwest when we weren't paying attention. Turned the heat back on Thursday when indoor temp fell to >60 (high of 42 outside), rain every single day.... But like weather everywhere, wait a day and it'll hit 80-90 here in Chicago.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Summer is here in Ill - tons of yard work to do. I noticed I had 2 pics taken from the same point - 1 in winter during the 2011 "blizzard" - and another taken today after hard day of yard work.

Great pics! You have a nice place, summer or winter.

Ha
Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It got really nice around noon yesterday, I left to visit my friend about 3:30. By the time I got to her place about 3:45, it had clouded over and started to get chilly. I had promised some halibut which I bought in the ID in the morning, but forgot and left at home in my fridge. So I told her I would walk down to QFC which had new run sockeye @ $15 (or $5.99 if you could take the whole fish). Left her place at 5, cloudy, half block later it was raining like crazy and pretty breezy too, so I popped my umbrella which waS hard to keep from inverting. Rained until I got home 45 minutes later, then got sunny again for a few hours before dark.

I am beyond caring. The main thing I like is that we don't lose ourselves or our friends to tornados or hurricanes. It is horrible what is happening to people all around the country from rogue weather.

Ha
Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Great pics! You have a nice place, summer or winter.

Ha
Thanks Ha,

But yesterday we went through an all day gnat, mosquito and rainstorm that made staying outside miserable.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #33

Here in Hong Kong temperature is between 88 deg (in the afternoon) and 75 deg (at night/early morning). Humidity is high - feels like you are always half towelled dry after a shower. However, inside most offices and shopping complexes the temperature is quite chilly due to Hong Kong's uncomfortably cold air conditioning setting - explains why ladies carry a shawl or scarf around during summer. Pollution is at its worst. Thankfully my home faces the sea and I get a good natural air circulation and I don't have to commute to work anymore.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday, was our third dry day in a row, so I was able to get the mower through the mush in the back even though I left these awful tracks. I then raked moss in the front.
Filled one barrel, and called it a day. Still too wet to rake in the back. Guess we need to move to Alaska.....will be 81 in Fairbanks today. 73 in Juneau. We are expecting 61 and rain for the next four days. Might be over 70 on Sat., but you can never count on these forcasts.....
Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

90F in the shade right now, bright sunshine.
No push mowing or weedwhacking is planned for today.

Our little window 8000 BTU AC unit is cranking out just enough cool air to keep the living room at 72. Fans are reversed and distributing the air around 3 adjacent upstairs rooms very nicely.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Go Gators! (Check the beer glass!)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

Is that a med I see? I would love to live on a lake one day.

I played 9 holes this morning and not only does it feel like summer, it feels like late summer. Temps suppose to be near 100 today. Looks like it's going to be a long hot summer.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #38

Mom moved to the Tampa Bay area last October after living in Seattle for about 70 years. The lack of rain and the abundance of sunshine has her a little homesick. We read her the Seattle weather report a few days ago and the high was going to be 56 which is a lot lower than our recent lows. She brightened up a bit!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Is that a med I see? I would love to live on a lake one day.

I played 9 holes this morning and not only does it feel like summer, it feels like late summer. Temps suppose to be near 100 today. Looks like it's going to be a long hot summer.
It officially reached 100 today in New Orleans, and 98 out at the airport in Kenner. Both of these broke records, and it was hot, hot, hot! We haven't had much if any rain lately to break the heat, either.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It officially reached 100 today in New Orleans, and 98 out at the airport in Kenner. Both of these broke records, and it was hot, hot, hot! We haven't had much if any rain lately to break the heat, either.
Just like living in TX - but with a lot better food!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote