Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like football and I don't like our national anthem. Football is just guys crashing into each other between long breaks. The national anthem is unsingable by us regular folks. And no, I am not a communist and I do love America.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am with you Orchidflower I thought Jennifer Hudson did a great job. I all I know is 30 odds folks playing poker and watching the game at the SB Party, stopped talking and play cards (very rare) to listen to her.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From the original article which said she (and most others) Lip Sync it - recorded earlier. Why don't they just Video it along with the recording and just play that at these things - that is what they did for some at the Olympics.

Hudson performs for 1st time since Oct. slayings

Although entertainers can perform live, Minor insisted that Hudson and Faith Hill, who sang "America the Beautiful" before the national anthem, use the tracks the NFL requires them to submit a week before the game.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I don't like football and I don't like our national anthem...and I do love America.
Folks, here is yet another example of the side effects of eating lutefisk...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
REWahoo: I think Maya Rudolph is the late Minnie Ripperton's daughter who could hit 5 octaves. She died of cancer very young, unfortunately. That crazy Maya...what a hoot!
HaHa: If you think that gal does it for you in French, you must absolutely have heart palpitations when you hear Edith Piaf? Try her.
Well, I do get the point that maybe (just maybe) the National Anthem should be sung in a traditional manner, but I still liked it (say I guiltly with hung held down..).
Did you see the movie " La Vie En Rose" about Edith Piaf? It was fantastic. I am sure you would enjoy it.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #26

CuppaJoe,
Liked the music, but how come they had that chef directing it? However the British National is singable.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #27

Quote:
REWahoo: I think Maya Rudolph is the late Minnie Ripperton's daughter who could hit 5 octaves. She died of cancer very young, unfortunately. That crazy Maya...what a hoot!
HaHa: If you think that gal does it for you in French, you must absolutely have heart palpitations when you hear Edith Piaf? Try her.
Well, I do get the point that maybe (just maybe) the National Anthem should be sung in a traditional manner, but I still liked it (say I guiltly with hung held down..).
Maya Rudolph is Minnie Ripperton's daughter. And here's Ripperton's classic:
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM   #28

As I remember, Riperton had Maya with her Jewish manager or somesuch. Such talent. Such a loss for us all.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I much prefer the traditional (non jazzed up) version of the NA. It seems that anyone that is boroght in to only sing the NA these days feels obligated to add a lot of ruffles to the piece, especially near the end when they will get a big ovation.

It all about the singer, not the patriotic moment. The girl last night did indeed lip sync the NA...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

A vote here for a traditionally-sung anthem with which the audience can (at least try to) sing.

BTW, Francis Scott Key's poem had four stanzas, but most people know only the first one. Isaac Asimov was a very big fan of the national anthem, and explains the origin of the poem in a short article written many years ago. I prefer the longer version of the poem. I'm not religious, but I do like the last stanza a lot:
Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation,
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n - rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, for our cause is just,
And this be our motto--"In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Well.. I guess I can be the lone voice of dissent here. I am regularly asked to sing the national anthem at various events and there are almost always strings attached. Loads of history about this song - based on an old pub tune.

Often I am contractually required to follow the provisions laid out in the National Anthem Committee (NAC) code (1942).

It lays out the proper key for performances (A-flat or B-flat), requiring no liberty be taken in either style or substance with the approved version of the National Anthem, the requirement of an announcement before the anthem for the assembled to join in singing, mandating the tempo of the anthem, and specified that on the metronome—settings 104bpm for the verses and 96bpm for the chorus.

There is a lot of controversy about this as the Congressional adoption of this code (June 1942) left out many of the details recommended by the committee and included the phrase—with the right hand over the heart—which was not contained in the NAC document. This decision was almost immediatly denounced by various stake holders.

Personally I like the song plain and undecorated. The words are good and should be able to stand on their own. The intent of the old code was that the song shine - not the performer. When the song is sung in a nonstandard way, you can't sing along and this is our song, a participatory anthem and a straight forward version gives you a fighting chance of singing along.

Still - I hope that she was well paid for this harrowing 90 seconds or so. The stakes are very high for the performer...
Yep.

heh heh heh - but I who cannot carry a tune in a bucket shall remain otherwise - I never sing along, except silently - vote for the plainest version possible.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
A vote here for a traditionally-sung anthem with which the audience can (at least try to) sing.

BTW, Francis Scott Key's poem had four stanzas, but most people know only the first one. Isaac Asimov was a very big fan of the national anthem, and explains the origin of the poem in a short article written many years ago. I prefer the longer version of the poem. I'm not religious, but I do like the last stanza a lot:

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war's desolation,
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n - rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, for our cause is just,

And this be our motto--"In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Try fitting those words into the tune, and you'll see why nobody sings them.

It is a beautiful poem, though.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:02 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
CuppaJoe,
Liked the music, but how come they had that chef directing it? However the British National is singable.
This one is also not a national anthem, but may be an equivalent to "God Save the Queen." And it's done in black tie! BTW, I spent an unforgettable Fourth of July in the room in this video.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Was anyone but me just overjoyed by the phenomenal rendition of the National Anthem sung by Jennifer Hudson

As she sang, I rtold DW that was the best rendition I had ever heard -- ranking up their with Jimmy Hendricks.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #35

I think this seems to be a case of either you just loved it or hated it. Seems no mid-ground opinions on this issue.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #36

Well, as I said, I prefer a more classic version, but hate would be a little strong when you have one like this to compare it with:

Old 02-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #37

Quote:
For our British and Canadian friends, do you see God Save the Queen sung in wildly different formats?
I'm not sure about "God Save The Queen" since we typically sing "Oh Canada" ;-). (I don't even think I've ever heard the former sung). Yes, the format is usually pretty similar :-)
Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #38

I figured you would hear 'Oh Canada' more often, but might be more likely to here 'God Save the Queen' more often than those of us to the south.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #39

Quote:
I figured you would hear 'Oh Canada' more often, but might be more likely to here 'God Save the Queen' more often than those of us to the south.
LOL. True but the attitude the last few years has been "God Save The Who" Oh, you mean the old lady whose face is still on the paper money?? Now I know who you're talking about! BTW, WHY is her mug still on our money anyway :-)
Old 02-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
LOL. True but the attitude the last few years has been "God Save The Who"
Too late. Two of them are already dead.