Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl View Post
LOL. True but the attitude the last few years has been "God Save The Who" Oh, you mean the old lady whose face is still on the paper money?? Now I know who you're talking about! BTW, WHY is her mug still on our money anyway :-)
Probably for the same reason her mugs in on the British pound, Queen Elizabeth is your head of state. Something which evidently most Canadians are ignorant of as this article demonstrates
A Dominion Institute survey conducted by Ipsos Reid during the December constitutional crisis and released just before Christmas reveals that an alarmingly sizable proportion of Canadians are woefully ignorant of how Canada's parliamentary system is structured, with slightly more than half of respondents believing our prime ministers are directly elected.
In fact, Canadians vote for their local Member of Parliament, the only ones casting ballots directly for the prime minister being voters in his or her own riding. The leader of whichever party wins the most seats in Parliament is invited by the Governor General to become prime minister.
Nearly as many (42 per cent) erroneously believe the prime minister is Canada's head of state, while one in three (33 per cent) mistakenly think that office belongs to the Governor General. In fact, Queen Elizabeth II is Canada's Head of State, something only 24 per cent of respondents affirmed correctly. Four in 10 surveyed were unable to correctly identify Canada as a "constitutional monarchy."
Who thinks it is funny that I knew more about Canadian government than 76% of Canadians. .

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!