Super Bowl's National Anthem by Jennifer Hudson

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Was anyone but me just overjoyed by the phenomenal rendition of the National Anthem sung by Jennifer Hudson at the Super Bowl? Honestly, I thought that that was the BEST version with the best voice singing that song I ever heard. Made me feel a combination of thrilled and proud so much that I actually started applauding...and I was at home in a room alone.:)

Here's a YouTube posting of her singing today:

watch

I've never liked her. I was all ready to bash the NFL for having her sing just because every one feels sorry for her. I didn't think she deserved it. She proved me wrong. That was one of the best renditions i've ever heard. Well done!

Was anyone but me just overjoyed by the phenomenal rendition of the National Anthem sung by Jennifer Hudson at the Super Bowl? Honestly, I thought that that was the BEST version with the best voice singing that song I ever heard. Made me feel a combination of thrilled and proud so much that I actually started applauding...and I was at home in a room alone.:)

Alone? You shouldn't have to watch the super bowl alone!

Well.. I guess I can be the lone voice of dissent here. I am regularly asked to sing the national anthem at various events and there are almost always strings attached. Loads of history about this song - based on an old pub tune.

Often I am contractually required to follow the provisions laid out in the National Anthem Committee (NAC) code (1942).

It lays out the proper key for performances (A-flat or B-flat), requiring no liberty be taken in either style or substance with the approved version of the National Anthem, the requirement of an announcement before the anthem for the assembled to join in singing, mandating the tempo of the anthem, and specified that on the metronome—settings 104bpm for the verses and 96bpm for the chorus.

There is a lot of controversy about this as the Congressional adoption of this code (June 1942) left out many of the details recommended by the committee and included the phrase—with the right hand over the heart—which was not contained in the NAC document. This decision was almost immediatly denounced by various stake holders.

Personally I like the song plain and undecorated. The words are good and should be able to stand on their own. The intent of the old code was that the song shine - not the performer. When the song is sung in a nonstandard way, you can't sing along and this is our song, a participatory anthem and a straight forward version gives you a fighting chance of singing along.

Still - I hope that she was well paid for this harrowing 90 seconds or so. The stakes are very high for the performer...

Still - I hope that she was well paid for this harrowing 90 seconds or so. The stakes are very high for the performer...

Don't they prerecord it and just lip sync it now days? I remember watching Willie Nelson sing it many years ago, and he got all out of whack. I remember the football players were laughing on the sideline. Pretty funny.

Don't they prerecord it and just lip sync it now days?

Probably. The best piece of advice I ever got about this song was to keep going if I botched it - half the audience will never notice:whistle:

What I always notice is how many people don't place their hand over their heart or face the flag while the anthem is sung. Poop.

I've never heard of her before, but she did a nice enough job. She's no Marvin Gaye, though. I do think the SSB is overdone these days in the big games. Everyone stand up, hand over heart, sing the daggone thing, and play ball!

Personally I like the song plain and undecorated. The words are good and should be able to stand on their own. The intent of the old code was that the song shine - not the performer. When the song is sung in a nonstandard way, you can't sing along and this is our song, a participatory anthem and a straight forward version gives you a fighting chance of singing along.

Hear, hear. That was my feeling about it as well. She has a beautiful voice, but I didn't at all like the fact that she didn't sing the National Anthem as written.

She sang some other song.

I hate football, so I was alone in a room watching something else--except when entertainment or those great commercials were on I flipped to the football game (I could hear it in the other room as everyone else was there watching the game).
From watching her when the camera panned to her waiting to sing, she looked like a scared rabbit, took a big sigh and then the camera panned off her. If it was prerecorded, she surely looked nervous.
Okay, some people like the standard way to sing the song, but I stand by my opinion (which is why God invented chocolate AND vanilla). I thought she was phenomenal, and this is the first time I ever remember really enjoying the song at all, since I really never was enamored with the song itself ever.
Standing, hand over heart? I just don't agree with you that that is unimportant. Some pomp and tradition should be retained for a sense of national togetherness I think, but, again, that is just my opinion. Dissenters are welcome (this IS America).

It is the 'National Anthem'. It is nor Hound Dog, Love Me Tender or I did it my way. It is not, IMHO, sung for entertainment. When singers adapt the National Anthem to reflect some pop culture, or show case their talents, I think it is wrong. For me, it was too slow and too over the top. I doubt there were many singing it with her, as, IMO, should happen at sports arenas.

For our British and Canadian friends, do you see God Save the Queen sung in wildly different formats?

Interesting that there's a protocol for singing the National Anthem--who knew? It probably should be followed--there are many other patriotic songs to gussy up.

Hudson's from Chicago and her mother, brother, and nephew were murdered in October--this was her first performance since then.

It sounds like a Superbowl producers made the call on the the style of singing and the use of the voice over (VH1.com : Jennifer Hudson : Jennifer Hudson Lip-Synched Super Bowl Performance - Rhapsody Music Downloads

Hudson was hired by the pre-game show producer Rickey Minor, who is also the musical director for American Idol, the reality TV singing show which launched her career.... “She's from the church,” Minor said. “So we wanted to give it a gospel feel, use a little organ, rhythm and really give it a feel that matched Jennifer. We wanted her to emote the lyrics and connect with the song.” At his request, Hudson lip-synched the anthem to a previously recorded track.

Interesting that there's a protocol for singing the National Anthem--who knew? It probably should be followed--there are many other patriotic songs to gussy up.

My feelings too..... Just as the flag is displayed following protocol, the National Athem should be sung within guidelines. As you say, tons of other patriotic songs and symbols to be "creative" with.

IMO all this "creative singing" is just one more example of an empire going down. And I must say, going down in excruciatingly bad taste.

Here's another pop singer, in another post-empire nation, singing her anthem as it should be sung. Absolutely stirring!

YouTube - Mireille Mathieu sings La marseillaise

Agree, excellent. I picked Mireille only because she does it for me, and because she shows that pop singers can also do anthems.

Ha

REWahoo: I think Maya Rudolph is the late Minnie Ripperton's daughter who could hit 5 octaves. She died of cancer very young, unfortunately. That crazy Maya...what a hoot!
HaHa: If you think that gal does it for you in French, you must absolutely have heart palpitations when you hear Edith Piaf? Try her.
Well, I do get the point that maybe (just maybe) the National Anthem should be sung in a traditional manner, but I still liked it (say I guiltly with hung held down..).

I don't like football and I don't like our national anthem. Football is just guys crashing into each other between long breaks. The national anthem is unsingable by us regular folks. And no, I am not a communist and I do love America. :)

I am with you Orchidflower I thought Jennifer Hudson did a great job. I all I know is 30 odds folks playing poker and watching the game at the SB Party, stopped talking and play cards (very rare) to listen to her.

From the original article which said she (and most others) Lip Sync it - recorded earlier. Why don't they just Video it along with the recording and just play that at these things - that is what they did for some at the Olympics.

Hudson performs for 1st time since Oct. slayings

Although entertainers can perform live, Minor insisted that Hudson and Faith Hill, who sang "America the Beautiful" before the national anthem, use the tracks the NFL requires them to submit a week before the game.

REWahoo: I think Maya Rudolph is the late Minnie Ripperton's daughter who could hit 5 octaves. She died of cancer very young, unfortunately. That crazy Maya...what a hoot!
HaHa: If you think that gal does it for you in French, you must absolutely have heart palpitations when you hear Edith Piaf? Try her.
Well, I do get the point that maybe (just maybe) the National Anthem should be sung in a traditional manner, but I still liked it (say I guiltly with hung held down..).
Did you see the movie " La Vie En Rose" about Edith Piaf? It was fantastic. I am sure you would enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom