Join Early Retirement Today

Super Bowl's National Anthem by Jennifer Hudson
Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Super Bowl's National Anthem by Jennifer Hudson

Was anyone but me just overjoyed by the phenomenal rendition of the National Anthem sung by Jennifer Hudson at the Super Bowl? Honestly, I thought that that was the BEST version with the best voice singing that song I ever heard. Made me feel a combination of thrilled and proud so much that I actually started applauding...and I was at home in a room alone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a YouTube posting of her singing today:

Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #3

I've never liked her. I was all ready to bash the NFL for having her sing just because every one feels sorry for her. I didn't think she deserved it. She proved me wrong. That was one of the best renditions i've ever heard. Well done!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Was anyone but me just overjoyed by the phenomenal rendition of the National Anthem sung by Jennifer Hudson at the Super Bowl? Honestly, I thought that that was the BEST version with the best voice singing that song I ever heard. Made me feel a combination of thrilled and proud so much that I actually started applauding...and I was at home in a room alone.
Alone? You shouldn't have to watch the super bowl alone!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Administrator

Well.. I guess I can be the lone voice of dissent here. I am regularly asked to sing the national anthem at various events and there are almost always strings attached. Loads of history about this song - based on an old pub tune.

Often I am contractually required to follow the provisions laid out in the National Anthem Committee (NAC) code (1942).

It lays out the proper key for performances (A-flat or B-flat), requiring no liberty be taken in either style or substance with the approved version of the National Anthem, the requirement of an announcement before the anthem for the assembled to join in singing, mandating the tempo of the anthem, and specified that on the metronome—settings 104bpm for the verses and 96bpm for the chorus.

There is a lot of controversy about this as the Congressional adoption of this code (June 1942) left out many of the details recommended by the committee and included the phrase—with the right hand over the heart—which was not contained in the NAC document. This decision was almost immediatly denounced by various stake holders.

Personally I like the song plain and undecorated. The words are good and should be able to stand on their own. The intent of the old code was that the song shine - not the performer. When the song is sung in a nonstandard way, you can't sing along and this is our song, a participatory anthem and a straight forward version gives you a fighting chance of singing along.

Still - I hope that she was well paid for this harrowing 90 seconds or so. The stakes are very high for the performer...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Still - I hope that she was well paid for this harrowing 90 seconds or so. The stakes are very high for the performer...
Don't they prerecord it and just lip sync it now days? I remember watching Willie Nelson sing it many years ago, and he got all out of whack. I remember the football players were laughing on the sideline. Pretty funny.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Don't they prerecord it and just lip sync it now days?
Probably. The best piece of advice I ever got about this song was to keep going if I botched it - half the audience will never notice
Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

What I always notice is how many people don't place their hand over their heart or face the flag while the anthem is sung. Poop.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've never heard of her before, but she did a nice enough job. She's no Marvin Gaye, though. I do think the SSB is overdone these days in the big games. Everyone stand up, hand over heart, sing the daggone thing, and play ball!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Personally I like the song plain and undecorated. The words are good and should be able to stand on their own. The intent of the old code was that the song shine - not the performer. When the song is sung in a nonstandard way, you can't sing along and this is our song, a participatory anthem and a straight forward version gives you a fighting chance of singing along.
Hear, hear. That was my feeling about it as well. She has a beautiful voice, but I didn't at all like the fact that she didn't sing the National Anthem as written.

She sang some other song.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #11

I hate football, so I was alone in a room watching something else--except when entertainment or those great commercials were on I flipped to the football game (I could hear it in the other room as everyone else was there watching the game).
From watching her when the camera panned to her waiting to sing, she looked like a scared rabbit, took a big sigh and then the camera panned off her. If it was prerecorded, she surely looked nervous.
Okay, some people like the standard way to sing the song, but I stand by my opinion (which is why God invented chocolate AND vanilla). I thought she was phenomenal, and this is the first time I ever remember really enjoying the song at all, since I really never was enamored with the song itself ever.
Standing, hand over heart? I just don't agree with you that that is unimportant. Some pomp and tradition should be retained for a sense of national togetherness I think, but, again, that is just my opinion. Dissenters are welcome (this IS America).
Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #12

It is the 'National Anthem'. It is nor Hound Dog, Love Me Tender or I did it my way. It is not, IMHO, sung for entertainment. When singers adapt the National Anthem to reflect some pop culture, or show case their talents, I think it is wrong. For me, it was too slow and too over the top. I doubt there were many singing it with her, as, IMO, should happen at sports arenas.

For our British and Canadian friends, do you see God Save the Queen sung in wildly different formats?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting that there's a protocol for singing the National Anthem--who knew? It probably should be followed--there are many other patriotic songs to gussy up.

Hudson's from Chicago and her mother, brother, and nephew were murdered in October--this was her first performance since then.

It sounds like a Superbowl producers made the call on the the style of singing and the use of the voice over (VH1.com : Jennifer Hudson : Jennifer Hudson Lip-Synched Super Bowl Performance - Rhapsody Music Downloads

Quote:
Hudson was hired by the pre-game show producer Rickey Minor, who is also the musical director for American Idol, the reality TV singing show which launched her career.... “She's from the church,” Minor said. “So we wanted to give it a gospel feel, use a little organ, rhythm and really give it a feel that matched Jennifer. We wanted her to emote the lyrics and connect with the song.” At his request, Hudson lip-synched the anthem to a previously recorded track.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hudson was hired by the pre-game show producer Rickey Minor
Shoulda' asked Maya Rudolph to sing it...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Or, alternately, instead of a solo, try a more singable tune, at 3:49 into this:

Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Interesting that there's a protocol for singing the National Anthem--who knew? It probably should be followed--there are many other patriotic songs to gussy up.
My feelings too..... Just as the flag is displayed following protocol, the National Athem should be sung within guidelines. As you say, tons of other patriotic songs and symbols to be "creative" with.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

IMO all this "creative singing" is just one more example of an empire going down. And I must say, going down in excruciatingly bad taste.

Here's another pop singer, in another post-empire nation, singing her anthem as it should be sung. Absolutely stirring!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #18

Or maybe this

Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Agree, excellent. I picked Mireille only because she does it for me, and because she shows that pop singers can also do anthems.

Ha
Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #20

REWahoo: I think Maya Rudolph is the late Minnie Ripperton's daughter who could hit 5 octaves. She died of cancer very young, unfortunately. That crazy Maya...what a hoot!
HaHa: If you think that gal does it for you in French, you must absolutely have heart palpitations when you hear Edith Piaf? Try her.
Well, I do get the point that maybe (just maybe) the National Anthem should be sung in a traditional manner, but I still liked it (say I guiltly with hung held down..).

« For the cop/judicial types on the forum | The Day the Music Died »