Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Super cheap laptop
Old 04-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So what you're saying is that 8 months ago when you were using...what was it? *A 333MHz machine with 96MB of ram that you said was 'perfectly good' for everything you wanted to do except play "doom3", that you were mistaken then?
Almost a grain of truth there My old 600MHz P3-based lappy running Win2K in 256MB is adequate for web browsing and light-weight apps.

That's because Win2K has a smaller footprint than XP. If you're running with 256MB RAM, I'd highly recommend Win2K. They are basically the same OS, but Win2K has less bloat/fluff.

And it's true that relatively few apps are CPU bound these days (pssst, don't tell Intel!). Games are driving the need for both faster CPUs and faster GPUs.

But, if you can get a faster, cooler, better, longer running system for about the same price as some doggy dog, why wouldn't you? All I'm saying is that you can get better bang for about the same buck.

As for me, I'll admit I got caught up in the GPU arms race. I've upgraded a few times in the last 6 months. But now I'm able to play pretty amazing games at 1920x1200 native resolution with really good frame rates on my laptop.

This is certainly nothing I *need* to do, but try playing Half Life 2 on a 9300 with go6800 and WUXGA. I dare you! I can never go back....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #42

FYI ... the ($250) coupon expired .

Old 04-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #43

Ok ... just bought the 1200 from the bussiness side with 512 RAM, external floppy (don't LAUGH), and extended warranty, shipped for $680.91 (after $100 mail-in rebate).

Is the wireless connection SAFE to be paying bills from??

(TH, thanx for the lead)
Old 04-29-2005, 02:27 PM   #44

Quote:

Or are you just...what is the nice term for it...'playing devils advocate'?
WAB/TH--The "exchange" between the two of you has been great--perhaps announce the next round in advance and sell tickets?
Any rate, i learned lot from your exchanges and glad to see the good humor in the process. (now I have to decide if the value of what I learn will last past next week m:-) )
Nwsteve
Old 04-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #45

I am running XP/sp2 with 256MB. It's fine.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm running XP pro/sp2 with 1GB -- it's a pig.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:05 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
I bought a high-end 9300 for myself (WUXGA, nvidia 6800) for around $800, and a lower-end 9300 for my wife (WXGA+, X300) for $550.
Were those prices after using a coupon code?

My girlfriend's PC died & she needs a laptop sooner than I. Checked the outlet, and prices are currently about twice that ($989 for cheapest 9300; most expesive is $1689 for WUXGA with X300)

She also cares about the screen--tho doesn't need 17"WUXGA like me, she'd like higher res than XGA.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #48

The outlet prices and promotions are pretty random, but they have a good sale about once a month. The better sales tend to be towards the end of their fiscal quarter.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks.

There's another coupon tomorrow morning, $600 off $1500 inspirons.

She'll probably get a $924 9300 1.6PentiumM 17"WUXGA X300 256Meg, or maybe spend another $50 to double memory. (another 256 of 533mhz.)

Basically the same deal I looked at a month or so ago, but I was going to pay $975 and get a better video card. (She games even less than me.) I don't recall how much RAM was in that deal.

Other options for her is a 15" for $500 with desktop chip (she's concerned about heat, me about fan noise) or $625ish? for 15" CeleronM, but she says the XGA screen is too blocky. 9300 will have bigger and much higher res screen, may run a tiny bit cooler? than CeleronM, and more future proof.

Here's the coupon code: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=475065
Old 05-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Bad math: if prices don't change, the deal is $1024, not $924.

$100 more than a month ago for same (or maybe better) system.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #51

Dell has a great return policy -- you can return a laptop for any reason within 21 days from the invoice date. With that in mind, I think you should try the 9300 with WUXGA. Personally, I love it, but some people find it too big, others find the resolution too high (i.e., fonts too small), some don't like the glossy LCD, etc. Laptops are all about personal preference.

The nice things about the 9300 are: great build quality (magnesium alloy base and lid mean that it's rigid, strong, and relatively light for its size), large high-rez display, subwoofer (one of the best sounding laptops on the market), DVI-output (rare to find on laptops, and great for use with an external LCD), good performance, quiet, cool, and the battery life with the X300 is outstanding.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:41 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday
a 15" for $500 with desktop chip
Which laptop does dell make with a desktop chip? I wasnt aware that they were putting a desktop chip into any of their mobile products...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, I'm exagerating. Not sure if any of the $500 deals (not just DEll) have true desktop chips in them. The $500ish laptop deals lately, mostly have the "mobile celeron" discussed earlier in this thread, which IIUC is more like a desktop chip than the cool running pentium Ms.
I believe the celeron-M's start at about $650ish now, including shipping.

My girlfriend bought the 9300 this morning, $1074 with 512meg. She's aware the same laptop was at least $100 cheaper a month ago, but doesn't want to wait. Will take about 3 weeks to ship though! Maybe if a better deal comes, will cancel the order. (I'm thinking HP or other company.)
Old 05-21-2005, 12:38 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Price dropped and computer better!
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=476269
With above coupon, 999+tax no rebates, free shipping. 17"Wuxga, 512mb, faster Pentium M 1.73ghz,free "deluxe" case,free combo dvd&cdrw. Makes it a little better than the "hot" deal a month ago, best deal I've personally seen for a 17"wuxga. Cancelled the old order, and ordered this one.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

What's a Celeron D versus M versus Pentium M versus 4 versus Centrino?

Sorry, lost the hardware plot in recent years, it was easier when chip clock speed double every couple of years. Need to purchase a euro zone laptop for a family member . . .

Would like the best technical bang for the buck Dell, (closest to desktop spec) 512MB main memory min, and best combination of CPU/cache/FSB

The rest isn't important i.e. LCD size, HD size, DVD spec, heat/fan issues.* Anyone have a table of H/W comparison perhaps?
cheers
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:49 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday
Price dropped and computer better!
Good deal. I priced a 9300+go6800+WUXGA for about $1050 during that promo, and that's about as cheap as they get for a new system.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:03 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER@40
What's a Celeron D versus M versus Pentium M versus 4 versus Centrino?

Sorry, lost the hardware plot in recent years, it was easier when chip clock speed double every couple of years. Need to purchase a euro zone laptop for a family member . . .

Would like the best technical bang for the buck Dell, (closest to desktop spec) 512MB main memory min, and best combination of CPU/cache/FSB
Yeah, I had that same problem. I avoided buying new computers for about 4-5 years, so I had to come up to speed on all of the new Intel marketing speak.

Ignore the Celeron-D. Please.

The Pentium-M is the best laptop CPU Intel currently ships. It has an efficient core, lots of L2 cache, and nice power-saving features.

The Celeron-M is a neutered Pentium-M. Same core, but they killed half the L2 cache and disabled the power-saving features. Still a nice chip, though.

Centrino is a "platform" that consists of Pentium-M + mobo chipset + wireless card. Basically, you get a "Centrino" sticker if you buy the Intel wireless card, which I personally find to be a poor performer compared to just about every other wireless card available. Get the Broadcom (TrueMobile) card if you're buying from Dell.

"Sonoma" is the code name for the latest rev of the Centrino platform. Basically, it boosts the FSB to 533MHz from 400MHz, adds support for DDR2 RAM, and adds PCI-express support. None of those new features are very useful (yet).

The 9300 we've been talking about here will give you the best bang/buck for a DTR. Although most Intel desktops use a P4 CPU, the Pentium-M actually performs *much* better clock-for-clock, so don't be fooled into buying a faster-clocked P4-based laptop. The 9300 also has video card options that will outperform most desktops, if that matters to you.

If you don't want some of the 9300 features (17-inch display, subwoofer, DVI, etc), then the 6000 is a good value too.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can make it even simpler.

Unless you're a top-line 3d first person shooter gamer or you encode video every day (capturing with a dv cam and converting to mpeg4 or wma, etc etc), you dont need anything more chip-wise than the cheapest thing you can find. The performance of a 'bottom rung' celeron-D 2.4GHz chip is far more than you need for any application at all other than the two I mentioned, and its adequate for those.

Furthermore, unless someone drops the new application concept that nobodys ever thought of, its going to be good enough for 3-5 years at least.

The pentium-m is more efficient on power and cooler. If you run away from AC outlets all the time, its probably worth a little extra money. If it spends most of its time on a table plugged into the wall, chip type is irrelevant.

Buy the screen you want, the peripherals you need, and dont worry about the dang chip.

Past that, yes, you can split hairs indefinitely on the differences between a pentium-4, pentium-m, celeron-xyz etc.

I have a pentium-4 2.4GHz desktop, a Celeron 1.6GHz laptop and a celeron-d 2.0 GHz desktop. Cant tell the difference between them except when doing video and fps.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER@40
Need to purchase a euro zone laptop for a family member . . .

The rest isn't important i.e. LCD size, HD size, DVD spec, heat/fan issues.
Depends a lot on what the laptop would be used for and how long want to wait before upgrading it.
Desktop spec has a wide range.

You didn't mention if used on the go. Battery life will depend on the chip, among other things.

For me (and to a lesser extent to my gf who just bought) ergonomics are important, so screen,heat,noise,keyboard,mouse are crucial. If these things really aren't important to the family member to use the laptop, that opens up option to buy whatever's cheapest.

There's also build quality. My anchient laptop retailed for about $7500 when new, and is built like a Lexus. Some I've played with in stores feel pretty cheap.

When I got it January 1999, it was obsolete (discontinued old model) but was much faster than needed for internet, email, spreadsheet, word processing. But the internet has changed. Within a few years, it was slowing down my surfing. Now, it is absurdly underpowered. I can click a link, and while waiting for the screen to be drawn and/or the website's server to respond, try to open a new tab to open another link while waiting, but often get no response. I used to be able to easily open several websites at a time, and while waiting for a server, switch to another site. Using firefox and shutting off ads doesn't help much.

I imagine that any new or recent chip will work fine for basic tasks today, and probably for the immediate future. But who knows down the line. Economically, it might make sense to buy the cheapest, and if it's too slow in a few years, just get a new one then. That might even mean a $500 laptop today, and a $200 laptop in 3 to 10 years from now.

There's another Dell coupon, might be able to get a decent laptop for about $750 after coupon, on the morning of the 24th: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=477102

If anyone is looking for a $1000ish 9300, this deal looks a little worse than the last one I posted, maybe $50-$100 worse depending on your choices. But it might be excellent for a $750-$800 laptop; I'm not sure.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, sorry to keep posting this thread, but I believe this is a new price point for a low-end laptop with a Celeron M, instead of a Mobile Celeron which supposedly runs much hotter/short battery life. 14.1" LCD and 512MB, Inspiron 2200

$550 after $100 rebate, +tax +$49 shipping, for Celeron M Dell:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...0505u2&x=7&y=6
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/477128/

I've heard Dell is good about paying their rebates, just need to be careful and keep copies as always.