Obama 30 36.14%
Romney 8 9.64%
McCain 21 25.30%
Huckabee 6 7.23%
Paul 5 6.02%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Super Tuesday Poll
Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Super Tuesday Poll

How about a poll to see how close the ER forum comes to the actual voters? Simply choose one of the six and we can compare to the actual spread.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a decline to stater. In the CA primary, I can get a dem or am indep ballot. Normally I'd take the opposite side of what my wife votes to cancel her out . But she hasn't decided. So I will only vote the props.

What I think we need is a combo of prop 92 and 94-97. Just put the indian slots directly on the community college campuses and lower the gambling age to 18. That way the students can have a shot at tuition and book money directly.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
What I think we need is a combo of prop 92 and 94-97. Just put the indian slots directly on the community college campuses and lower the gambling age to 18. That way the students can have a shot at tuition and book money directly.
you're hilarious - i'm so sick of those gaming prop commercials!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So I will only vote the props.
This year the props are especially difficult to make heads or tails of. Can you imagine how most uninformed voters deal with these? Bad system.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #5

With all the talk on this board about the need for Universal Healthcare, I'm surprised Obama is leading Clinton, given that Clinton is the UHC candidate.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the chance to vote for Ron Paul - where my not voting for someone else doesn't matter. Against some of his views (abortion for instance), but it's good to see a gadfly.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #7

You forgot "None of the above".
Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interesting how much higher Obama is polling than Clinton here. That contrasts significantly with the national polls but they are always a little behind the momentum - I bet Obama does better than expected. Also interesting that the Dem/GOP split is nearly 50/50 (so far). And a lot you conservatives are always complaining about the left bias on this board. No foundation - just like the complaints about the liberal media.

Quote:
With all the talk on this board about the need for Universal Healthcare, I'm surprised Obama is leading Clinton, given that Clinton is the UHC candidate.
Not much light between them even on this topic. There are a lot of us here who wish we could get a single payer health care system like any sensible society but we understand that no one will campaign on that. Clinton isn't calling for true universal health care just universal insurance. Obama says he wants the same but wouldn't mandate coverage to the point of garnishing wages. The ultimate proposal (assuming the dems win) will undoubtedly be some compromise.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #9

Im really torn on my choice. I need to decide tonight too
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im really torn on my choice. I need to decide tonight too
Get it down to two possible choices. Assign one to heads and one to tails. Flip a coin and while it is still in the air you will know which way you want it to land -- that is your choice.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #11

For me the choice was as easy as ABC!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I'm a decline to stater. In the CA primary, I can get a dem or am indep ballot. Normally I'd take the opposite side of what my wife votes to cancel her out . But she hasn't decided. So I will only vote the props.
Ok, I've puzzled over this statement for several minutes and still can't figure out why anyone would want to vote just to vote the opposite of their spouse. Could you explain, or were you kidding?
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This year the props are especially difficult to make heads or tails of. Can you imagine how most uninformed voters deal with these? Bad system.
Just said that to my wife the other day. With the ability to look into ALL of the info and pro's/con's, I formed a rather different opinion about the props than I'd gotten from the voter info booklets, tv ads and mailings.

Its disappointing to see how much the average person is manipulated come election time.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Also interesting that the Dem/GOP split is nearly 50/50 (so far). And a lot you conservatives are always complaining about the left bias on this board. No foundation - just like the complaints about the liberal media. .

AHHHHHHH... even the media did a story on the left leaning of the media... IIRC, something like 95% of them voted Dem about 8 or 12 years ago...

Kind of hard to dispute that left lean if this is even close to true...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

So who won??:confused:
Old 02-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

It appears we overestimated both Obama's and McCain's pull. The pundits say that highly educated people lean to Obama and independents to McCain so maybe we are overrepresented in both categories. The other possibility is we reflected the momentum of both candidates in our choices but with early voters and the unregistered newbies that momentum wasn't yet reflected in the results
Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #17

I find it interesting that, despite all the opinion polls on Iraq, each party's leading candidate in delegates is the most hawkish (within his/her party) on the Iraq war.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
Ok, I've puzzled over this statement for several minutes and still can't figure out why anyone would want to vote just to vote the opposite of their spouse. Could you explain, or were you kidding?
It's an inside joke between us as we often take opposite sides of the slates and find out we might as well have stayed home. So I ask her who she is supporting and teasingly tell her I'm going to cancel her vote. In reality I got a Dem ballot and did just that. Not to be mean to her though.

On another note, at the poll there was an older lady going off on the workers because they gave her a Dem ballot. She was actually registered Dem, but apparently didn't want to be. Maybe she was unclear on the concept, but man was she raising a ruckus over it.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'm just unclear on why it'd be considered rocket science to just give EVERYONE a ballot that would let them vote for ANY of the candidates.

Of course, I thought I was smart to register "unaffiliated" to avoid being pestered by party telemarketers.

Instead I was barred from voting for the candidate I decided I liked, and pestered by independent voter telemarketers.

Much better.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I find it interesting that, despite all the opinion polls on Iraq, each party's leading candidate in delegates is the most hawkish (within his/her party) on the Iraq war.
Is this accurate?

On the Democratic side, I believe Hillary is leading Barack in the delegate count at the moment. I also thought she wanted to pull the troops out ASAP, whereas Barack was wanting a pullout by late 2009.

I could be wrong on any of those three points, though.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote