Join Early Retirement Today

Supreme Court turns down investor class-action lawsuits
Old 03-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Supreme Court turns down investor class-action lawsuits

Looks like the Supreme Court thinks that shareholder class-action lawsuits in the states are a waste of time... for the legal system anyway.

On one hand it removes a litigation threat from big businesses. OTOH it keeps investors from piling in and then claiming they were too stupid to understand what they were doing in the first place. But I think that the typical class-action member was a shareholder who was pushed into it by a lawyer to see what he could get.

It doesn't seem to keep individual shareholders from filing suit. Of course few have the assets or the resources to do so.

So maybe this will cut back on the ambulance-chasing by the financial legal industry, which isn't such a bad thing. As for the poor retail investor, the brokerage & investment firms care for them as much as they ever have. Caveat emptor.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Supreme Court turns down investor class-action lawsuits
Old 03-22-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dont think I ever saw a class action lawsuit that benefitted the people who got screwed anyhow. I've certainly participated in a few of them. In one case, defective siding on my mcmansion. I got a check for a couple of hundred bucks. $8-10k for new siding. Gee Thanks.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A few years back, either my grandmother or mother (forget who owned it at the time) ended up being the beneficiary of a class action lawsuit against GM, for owners of those pickup trucks with the "saddle tanks" mounted outside the frame rails. You know, the ones you have to hit at around 73 mph to get them to blow? Or use an igniter, like Dateline did? :

In the end, we got a rebate voucher for $1000 off on a brand-new GM product. After a certain timeframe it went down to $500, and then expired. I think it just expired recently. Anyway, I still have the truck, and couldn't care less, really, about the lawsuit. That $500 or even $1000 rebate would've ended up costing me more like $15-16K or more if I went and bought a new truck with it!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I once got about $600 from a class-action settlement related to title insurance premiums.* Until then, wasn't even aware of the lawsuit.* It had something to do with un-notified kickbacks between the real estate agent and the title insurer.* Was the lawsuit justified?* I have no idea.* But I cashed the check.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My deceased brother may have been an exception to the poor pay offs for class action lawsuit participants. He received almost $300,000 in a class action suit against State Farm Insurance several years ago, shortly after he retired. But I've never heard of anyone else collecting anywhere near that kind of money from them.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Usually its one free cd/movie rental or a coupon for $10 off your next version of windows... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny
... or a coupon for $10 off your next version of windows... :P
And we all know what inflation will do to that coupon while we're waiting for the next version of Windows.

Hmmmm... but if it's a much better version of Windows, shouldn't there be a hedonic adjustment to the value of the coupon?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Nah, that'll just get used to drag down the coupon on your ibonds and tips so you cant afford the rest of the cost of the s/w. Its a win/win.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nah, that'll just get used to drag down the coupon on your ibonds and tips so you cant afford the rest of the cost of the s/w.* Its a win/win.
What a relief. I wasn't sure how to account for having a 64-bit chip with a flawed 64-bit OS and no 64-bit software to run on them.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Easily. Take your current application performance and decrease it by 5% or more.

Same thing happened when we went from 16 bit to 32 bit. Only everyone was so excited to get their snazzy new 32 bit processors that by the time they noticed they were slower than molasses running uphill on a cold monday morning, the clock rate came up high enough to compensate for it.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Easily.* Take your current application performance and decrease it by 5% or more.
Gosh, I just assumed that was the effect of running Quicken & TurboTax at the same time.

Thanks to this board, I've managed to avoid using either one of them today!

Old 03-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, the 32 bit vs 16 (and the 64 bit vs 32 bit ones as well) have more registers and some other potential performance improvers, but overall, everything being equal, apps run slower on 'wider' processors. The very simplistic and not entirely accurate (but good enough) explanation...most of the stuff the poor cpu has to do involves moving twice as much...instructions, addresses, etc are all now 64 bit instead of 32. So unless you're using a specific enhancement that is offered by the 64 bit processor (which usually has nothing whatsoever to do with its "bitness"), its probably going to run slower.

Unless your app requires more than 4GB of ram to run, in which case the longer addressability of the 64 bit processor will help.

At a higher clock rate, with faster ram, with optimized operating systems, drivers and applications, it'll end up faster. Nearly none of that has to do with the 'bitness'.

This is why Intel resisted doing 64 bit. It really doesnt make sense at the desktop and barely at the server...at least for a few more years out. Then 3-5 years for the software to catch up.

It never ceases to amaze me when I look back at the devolution of a thread and how perfectly rational the walk away is. Then again, sometimes its just bombed with a boob or a squirrel or beaver.