Join Early Retirement Today

Surface tablet anyone?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Surface tablet anyone?

Is anyone going to buy the new Surface tablet ? Microsoft Store Online

I think I may get one, even if I bought an iPad a few months ago...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm anxious to see one, along with Windows 8 in person, but I'm reserving judgement. My '08 Dell PC and iPad are serving me well enough...so I'd probably have to be blown away by Microsofts new products.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

Yup, but waiting for Windows 8 compatibility. Looks like only Windows RT is available for the tablet initially.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I like the fact it has HDMI, a USB port, and micro-SD. The lack of some of those makes the iPad less attractive for the way I would want to use it (more like a 'regular' computer from time to time).

But I'll probably hold out for an Android or other Linux-based tablet, but I'm in no rush.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I like the fact it has HDMI, a USB port, and micro-SD. The lack of some of those makes the iPad less attractive for the way I would want to use it (more like a 'regular' computer from time to time).
-ERD50
I agree. No rush to buy but happy this product & feature set are coming to market.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #6

Surface is not running Windows 8 ? Not sure if I am missing something... According to CBS News, "Microsoft's Surface tablet features a 10.6-inch display, a full version of the Windows 8 operating system, Gorilla Glass, a built in kickstand and a tactile multi-touch keyboard."
Microsoft Surface tablet, Windows 8 coming Oct. 26 - CBS News

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Yup, but waiting for Windows 8 compatibility. Looks like only Windows RT is available for the tablet initially.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #7

Microsoft's site is currently accepting pre-orders for the Surface w/RT only. Unless I missed it, the Surface with Windows 8 says "Coming Soon". Perhaps that will be Oct 26; I saw no specific date at Microsoft's site.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #8

I just checked Microsoft's website. You are correct.

Help me choose which Windows tablet is best for me - Microsoft Surface

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Microsoft's site is currently accepting pre-orders for the Surface w/RT only. Unless I missed it, the Surface with Windows 8 says "Coming Soon". Perhaps that will be Oct 26; I saw no specific date at Microsoft's site.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably get some kind of Windows tablet after Win 8 is out for awhile. I'll let others work the bugs out (I happily skipped right over Vista), avoid the early-adopter "tax" on new hardware, and buy from a reliable non-Microsoft hardware manufacturer. A "when you need it" keyboard with the thin-ness and touch-screen of a tablet sounds great, especially if I can get the USB port my iPad lacks.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

They're thicker and heavier, especially the Pro versions.

But yeah if you want to run Photoshop or some PC program, they do offer an alternative.

I think they're more suited for using on tables instead of being held though. Some W8 tablets are being called "tabletops."
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #11

It's not clear to me what this would offer over an iPad. Given the large body of apps already available for iOS and the existing integration I don't see a compelling reason to switch.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #12

There are some applications such as Practice Fusion EMR which I need to access remotely. Practice Fusion is not available on IPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy
It's not clear to me what this would offer over an iPad. Given the large body of apps already available for iOS and the existing integration I don't see a compelling reason to switch.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
There are some applications such as Practice Fusion EMR which I need to access remotely. Practice Fusion is not available on IPad.
I take it this isn't it iPad EMR | Secure iPad EHR Software.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #14

I actually called them a few weeks ago. Practice Fusion is not ready for iPad yet. The only way to run PF on iPad is to use a link application onto a PC which you access remotely from your iPad. Too much of headache for me, so I will wait for Surface instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
I take it this isn't it iPad EMR | Secure iPad EHR Software.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Ding ding ding! Nokia and RIM have already discovered the power of a fully fleshed out ecosystem. Its not about the device anymore.

I suspect these will be a niche product for people who need a specific application that you can really only get on windows. The non intel hardware and new version of windows for it means lots and lots and lots of compatibility issues, without reducing the cost or providing any meaningful advantages over more mature products from companies with an actual ecosystem, like apple, amazon and google.

It seems that microsoft's product strategy is "wait for years after someone has a working product, then clone it, shove windows onto it and hope for the best".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have some folks using eclinicalworks. They were sold it with the promise you could use it on an IPAD ( haha ). I've been trying to explain to them why it doesn't work. You could remote desktop from it via terminal server but that requires all the setup/hardware for that.

I think windows 8 will be right up there with windows ME as a flop. I've been running prerelease 8 on some standard hardware. I don't see any business user moving to it because you can't do any work with it.

I think you might try something with Win 7, in either a tablet or tablet PC form.

For a cheap android tablet, this looks interesting...

Amazon.com: Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II 1GB RAM/ 16GB Android 4.0 Tablet PC, Dual Core 1.5GHz CPU & GPU Structure: Computers & Accessories
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I think windows 8 will be right up there with windows ME as a flop. I've been running prerelease 8 on some standard hardware. I don't see any business user moving to it because you can't do any work with it.
I agree, its ME and Vista all over again, although vista was somewhat less crappy than ME.

I don't see much reason to go to win8 unless you have more than 4 cores (the win8 scheduler is better) or you're hankering for a small improvement in kernel speed. I ran the preview for a while...basically win7 with an annoying phone interface wrapped around it, and with the phone interface turned off, its windows 7 only with compatibility issues and bugs.

They should call it 'windows meh'.

I'll keep 7 on my existing machines that are all newish, and see whats around in ~3 years when I buy or build again.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'll keep 7 on my existing machines that are all newish, and see whats around in ~3 years when I buy or build again.
I use linux for the most part and would get more people to switch to if wasn't for the fact that most small bizs are setup around using a specific piece of software. For accounting, billing, practice management, inventory... you name it. It's likely a windoze only product, a lot times it's still only supported on XP ( which is fine, since it works ) so they ain't movin...
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I use linux for the most part and would get more people to switch to if wasn't for the fact that most small bizs are setup around using a specific piece of software. For accounting, billing, practice management, inventory... you name it. It's likely a windoze only product, a lot times it's still only supported on XP ( which is fine, since it works ) so they ain't movin...
It always sounds good, but I've never been able to install linux on a machine without hunting for drivers and editing 12 configuration files, plus getting razzed by teenagers on support forums when you ask a question.

I've had all sorts of issues ranging from "There is no driver for that device" to "there is one, but its not open source so its not included, and you have to download it by hand and tweak the configuration files to make it work".

I'm sure if I did it 30-40 times, I'd get the hang of everything thats needed. I've been using unix products since the '70's, so basic understanding isnt the problem.

I've actually had better luck hackintoshing machines instead of putting ubuntu on them.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Supposedly iPads are popular with doctors. But maybe more so for browsing and entertainment than actual work software?

Though there are suppose to be apps. for viewing X-rays and MRI scans and such.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote