Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This cracked me up. My good friend and long time surfing buddy and I are literally the guys in every picture (well, I've been circled by sharks but not attacked, knock on balsa wood).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Surfersjpeg952.jpg (56.6 KB, 44 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, thanks, ronin, I've been looking for that!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Old 05-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #244
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First surf session of the season today, and boy are my arms tired.

SurfTripSkeg.jpg

I actually got some good rides, even though the waves were small. Water temp 48, air temp 53, with a wicked, gusty wind.

It's interesting that the softrack rises up significantly when driving.

SoftrackStill.jpg

SoftrackMoving.jpg

I think it's secure, but a strap on the underside tends to vibrate -- it took me a long time to determine the source of the vibration.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #245
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

I think it's secure, but a strap on the underside tends to vibrate -- it took me a long time to determine the source of the vibration.
I had the same problem in my 84 Dodge Aries station wagon. We used to stuff dirty socks under the boards to prevent banging on the roof of the car. I lost so many good socks on the highway!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #246
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I wonder what that does to the board over time... microcracks leading to water leaks?

We've been using Handiracks for several years now. We get more of a pneumatic shock-absorber effect, but the boards stay in contact with the racks. My daughter took my set to use on her college car, so I just treated myself to a new set for $90 on Amazon.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I wonder what that does to the board over time... microcracks leading to water leaks?
I don't think so. It's very gentle; the board, strapped to the pad, simply floats up an inch or two, and settles down when we slow down. The vibrating straps probably don't do any damage either.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

I passed today because although the waves were pretty good, I would have been the only one there in an area that has had shark attacks.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:56 AM   #249
Full time employment: Posting here.

I need to get a rise outa you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Talk, talk, talk, talk, taaaaalk, and, talk, talk, talk, taaaalk,....and no action shots! You're depressing me. Any action picture is worth 5,000 words
Well, it's been 5 years. How we doin here?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of action shots, I came across this interesting technology, which unfortunately, is pretty useless:

SOLOSHOT - $50 off Limited Quantities

You put a device on your arm, and the camera base tracks you.

I say it's useless because who is going to leave a $400 device and a video camera unattended on the beach? Great idea, though.

--------------

These shots really make me want to go to Waikiki again. But I don't understand where all the other surfers are.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Speaking of action shots, I came across this interesting technology, which unfortunately, is pretty useless:
SOLOSHOT - $50 off Limited Quantities
You put a device on your arm, and the camera base tracks you.
I say it's useless because who is going to leave a $400 device and a video camera unattended on the beach? Great idea, though.
Quote:
SECURITY: For those situations where there is no one around to lazily read a book while SOLOSHOT does all the work, SOLOSHOT has built in security features that allows your camera to be locked to SOLOSHOT and the SOLOSHOT TriPod can be locked to any permanent or semi-permanent structure (such as a large pieces of driftwood, lifegaurd stand, park bench... so be creative!).
I think it fills a gap.

Last year we spent a couple hundred bucks for prints and high-res images from a beach photographer. He invested a few thousand in housings, tripods, & lenses. But best of all, he caught my daughter and me in the action shots that had eluded our DIY attempts for a decade.

If I screwed a GoPro into the nose of the board, or even used that bowsprit extension to get it out in front of the board, then the shots would just show closeups for the whole surf set. I'd also be fiddling with the camera all morning long. I like the idea of setting it up on the beach and then just surfing.

It could inspire some creative photography, too. Imagine if you hooked the remote to the dog's collar and turned it loose in the yard while the camera output was connected to an Internet feed.

Quote:
These shots really make me want to go to Waikiki again. But I don't understand where all the other surfers are.
It's a problem. Technically a surfing contest can't prohibit anyone from surfing on the break. Realistically, though, the lifeguards and the jetski safety crew will make sure you don't catch a wave.

Every year the North Shore communities and the state regulators have prolonged disputes over the contest schedule. The guys have more competitions than the women. The adults have more than the kids. The shortboarders get more than the longboarders or the SUPs or the boogieboarders. Some sponsors get more special treatment than others. Millions of dollars are at stake, and the infighting gets pretty vicious.

People have learned to stay away from the beach on competition days unless they want to watch the competitors have all the fun. You also learn to be very aware of the winter competition schedule before you drive up to Haleiwa, or you'll end up driving into a parking lot before you even get to the outskirts of town...

Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Talk, talk, talk, talk, taaaaalk, and, talk, talk, talk, taaaalk,....and no action shots! You're depressing me. Any action picture is worth 5,000 words

Well, it's been 5 years. How we doin here?

It was really fun to finally get a picture of myself surfing. Usually the waves are just too far out.

This is in Brookings, Oregon, and I had the place to myself. The waves looked too small to go out on, but I wanted to try out this new spot.

Water temperature around 52 and the air was 55 with clouds. I had a great time.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Water temperature around 52 and the air was 55 with clouds. I had a great time.
Yikes.

I've lost all thermal resistance out here. Even 70 degrees feels like torture now.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #254

Quote:

Woohoo! Soloshot would be great for shallow water stuff we do.

Quote:
If I screwed a GoPro into the nose of the board, or even used that bowsprit extension to get it out in front of the board, then the shots would just show closeups for the whole surf set. I'd also be fiddling with the camera all morning long
Professional photographers? Good grief, you attach it, flip it on, go ride....... Hard to beat the impact of an in-the-action closeup. Shore shots are great but GoPro surf vids I've seen are amazing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-18-11c.jpg (47.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #255
Give me a forum ...

BTW, I tied the board with a cord to the front of the car and there's no more humming.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Seen here.
Attached Images
File Type: png image-4037345596.png (528.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #257
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Shore shots are great but GoPro surf vids I've seen are amazing...
I think mine would be more like "Look, he's paddling into a wave... he caught it! Now he's standing up... he's standing up... he's almost up... there, he's up! Look, he's turning left! And right! And left again! One more right, and here's the cutback! Ooooh, that's going to leave a mark. You hate to see that happen to a surf geezer..."

Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #258

Quote:
I think mine would be more like "Look, he's paddling into a wave... he caught it! Now he's standing up... he's standing up... he's almost up... there, he's up! Look, he's turning left! And right! And left again! One more right, and here's the cutback! Ooooh, that's going to leave a mark. You hate to see that happen to a surf geezer..."
Oh contraire, I'd would seriously luv every second of it! Nords, we're all gettin older, and any action is great action, wipeouts included!

My family was just laughin away at my first pathetic attempt at boat wake surfin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boatwakesurf.JPG (211.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

My air horn arrived today. Now Lena can signal me when I'm out on the waves. Three blasts will mean "Get you butt in here." Super blaster pump model.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #260
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My air horn arrived today...Super blaster pump model.
Perfect accessory for your bicycle.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote