Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Surfing Thread
Old 09-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The second I felt the pain I thought "Well, I've learned another way not to fall."

It happened because (1) I dropped right into the most violent part of the wave, and (2) this back muscle has been strained about 8 times in my life.

In fact, since I can do nothing but sit here and write, let me tell you a story about how my straining this back muscle got put into a song played on the national radio program "A Prairie Home Companion (APHC)."

In 1997 we went to Club Med in Xtapa.* While there we got to be good friends with Pat Donohue and his family.* He's the guitar player in the Guys All-Star Shoe Band on APHC.*

While sailing a small boat, and ducking under the boom, I pulled this same muscle in my back.* When I mentioned this to Pat, he got that lightbulb expression on his face, and said "You just helped me get another line for a song I'm writing."

Next week he sings his funny parody song "Mexican Vacation" on APHC, and it's got the line:

"While dancing the rumba, I damaged my lumbar, and cried 'Ah, Carumba, I'm dying...'"

So, that's my name-dropping story of how this muscle was immortalized in song.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
In fact, since I can do nothing but sit here and write, let me tell you a story...
Get well soon, Al!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Martha, Cut-Throat, I take back all the mean things I've said about Great Lakes surfing...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...609030310.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Martha, Cut-Throat, I take back all the mean things I've said about Great Lakes surfing...

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...609030310.html
A documentary film was made called Unsalted, about surfing the Great Lakes. Part was filmed a few blocks from where I live.

View the trailer and watch the surfers walk through the snow: http://www.surfline.com/video/video_...id=1895&mv=trl

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Ye gods, I'll never complain about cold water again.

How can those guys be getting tubed without 25 other surfers paddling through?

Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

My earlier comments about close encounters were a little too prescient-- my longboard got its first serious ding.

I've had this nine-foot Keola Rapoza board for 3½ years. It's survived parking lots, high winds, and our kid's careless attempts to carry it. However it couldn't survive a kook.

We had great surf a couple weekends ago and our kid was a monster on her 7'9" molded board. She'll be 14 in two months, and she seems to have grown into her shoulder muscles while perfecting the art of the lazy no-paddle takeoff. She must have caught 15 rides in an hour and we were having a wonderful time catching father-daughter party waves.

The guy who hit my board was paddling out through the weekend crowds about 30 feet in front of us when he decided that he just had to have the next wave. He managed to turn around and paddle his longboard into a nice right, but for some reason he decided to go left. We had already turned in that direction but we kept going while expecting him to turn back to the right. However he never turned and, when he finally saw us, he never even popped up. It was like a slow-motion train board wreck as he first narrowly missed my kid and then headed straight for me. I bailed at the last second (in disbelief) under my board and felt his fin crunch to a halt in my rail.

He got off his board, I surfaced and asked him if he was all right, he said he was OK, and he paddled back out. Not even an "Eh, sorry brah", let alone something like "Gee, I'm an idiot, let me give you $50 for the damage and inconvenience I've caused."

We paddled in and brought the board home to dry out. It took over two ounces of UV-cure resin to fill the hole. I still have a couple dimples to smooth out but the board surfed fine today in 5-7 feet. We'll have another good swell this weekend, and I'm going to be a much more defensive paddler!

I've also added a nose bumper and ordered a set of Proteck safety fins. I don't want to hear that crunching noise ever again.

I was also surprised to learn that UV-cure resin can harden inside the container over the course of a couple years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ding closeup before 64K.JPG (59.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Ding closeup after 64K.JPG (63.5 KB, 89 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Ding closeup before 64K.JPG_thumb (27.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb Ding closeup after 64K.JPG_thumb (35.5 KB, 0 views)

Old 09-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a nice south swell on the way from New Zealand. The equatorial bouy is showing long 19-24 second intervals. Unfortunately, there's a box jellyfish warning forcasts for the same time that we'll see waves. These critters usually come to south and west side beaches 8-10 days after the full moon.

The first time I was stung by a Portuguese Man o' War it hurt so much that I screamed. I may becoming immune to the venum because the stings aren't nearly as painful now. Once I was stung on the foot while doing a 4 mile upwind windsurfing run. The lymph nodes in my groin swelled up and it was so painful I could barely walk. I had to come in and call for help.

It's always a tough call whether or not to surf when there are jellyfish around. If they are swarming I stay on the beach. If they are scattered I'll go out with a long sleeve rash guard and try to paddle around them. A friend tells me some surfers use nylons on their legs for protection.

The good news is that we also have a NW swell on the way. Might be able to save on some gas and jellyfish stings.

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
I'm 47 and I know plenty of kiters in their 60's. Make sure to take at least a few days of professional lessons (never self teach). Here is one school example (http://www.realkiteboarding.com/) but you can learn just about anywhere. Traveling with gear is a snap (one golf bag for planes) and rigging takes 10 minutes. Need about 12 mph to get going. Wind is about 23 mph in the picture. Over 35 mph and I'm on the beach with a beer.
Thanks for the link Dave. DS and I are going down to Hatteras next Thursday for a three day individual "zero to hero" clinic. I will report back on the results.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Warren Bolster dies

Pioneer surf/skateboard photographer Warren Bolster died of a self-inflicted gun shot wound in Hawaii. If you get a chance check out some of his images. He was a great photographer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warrenbolster1.jpg (42.5 KB, 68 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb warrenbolster1.jpg_thumb (28.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Finally surfed again after pulling that muscle in my back. 7-8 foot waves, and I sure felt old and tired. Will see how the back feels after the ibuprofen wears off.

Funny thing that happened was this young diving sea bird (Murrelet?) swims over while I'm waiting for waves. Wants to get on the board, so I pick it up and hold it for a while. It's perfectly happy, looking around, not scared at all.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Funny thing that happened was this young diving sea bird (Murrelet?) swims over while I'm waiting for waves.* Wants to get on the board, so I pick it up and hold it for a while.* It's perfectly happy, looking around, not scared at all.
I bet it could hang ten, too-- that would've been a picture!

Old 09-22-2006, 02:22 AM   #52

Quote:
My earlier comments about close encounters were a little too prescient-- my longboard got its first serious ding.

I've had this nine-foot Keola Rapoza board for 3½ years. It's survived parking lots, high winds, and our kid's careless attempts to carry it. However it couldn't survive a kook.

We had great surf a couple weekends ago and our kid was a monster on her 7'9" molded board. She'll be 14 in two months, and she seems to have grown into her shoulder muscles while perfecting the art of the lazy no-paddle takeoff. She must have caught 15 rides in an hour and we were having a wonderful time catching father-daughter party waves.

The guy who hit my board was paddling out through the weekend crowds about 30 feet in front of us when he decided that he just had to have the next wave. He managed to turn around and paddle his longboard into a nice right, but for some reason he decided to go left. We had already turned in that direction but we kept going while expecting him to turn back to the right. However he never turned and, when he finally saw us, he never even popped up. It was like a slow-motion train board wreck as he first narrowly missed my kid and then headed straight for me. I bailed at the last second (in disbelief) under my board and felt his fin crunch to a halt in my rail.

He got off his board, I surfaced and asked him if he was all right, he said he was OK, and he paddled back out. Not even an "Eh, sorry brah", let alone something like "Gee, I'm an idiot, let me give you $50 for the damage and inconvenience I've caused."

We paddled in and brought the board home to dry out. It took over two ounces of UV-cure resin to fill the hole. I still have a couple dimples to smooth out but the board surfed fine today in 5-7 feet. We'll have another good swell this weekend, and I'm going to be a much more defensive paddler!

I've also added a nose bumper and ordered a set of Proteck safety fins. I don't want to hear that crunching noise ever again.

I was also surprised to learn that UV-cure resin can harden inside the container over the course of a couple years.

Talk, talk, talk, talk, taaaaalk, and, talk, talk, talk, taaaalk,....and no action shots! You're depressing me. Any action picture is worth 5,000 words.

Just so I don't sound hypocritical (though it's not quite the same impressive sport)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windsurfing-fun.jpg (59.2 KB, 57 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Windsurfing-fun.jpg_thumb (30.7 KB, 0 views)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Talk, talk, talk, talk, taaaaalk, and, talk, talk, talk, taaaalk,....and no action shots! You're depressing me.* Any action picture is worth 5,000 words.
Screw that-- it's easier to buy a plane ticket and I'll give you the directions to the beach.

It's been a solid 4-8 feet every day for two weeks... no way am I wasting my time playing surf photographer!

I appreciate your point, but taking pictures has just become too darn hard for me. We took a Pentax W10 "waterproof" surf camera with us on our July vacaction and shot a couple hundred priceless scenes. We came home and I didn't download anything because I was too busy with other after-vacation stuff. A day later we went surfing with my nephew the Army Ranger (his first time) and our kid appointed herself the surf photographer. We got more priceless shots but her misguided attempt to delete one picture resulted in wiping the entire card.

I'm presbyopic enough that I either have to wear prescription goggles in the surf or set the camera on shore (wearing my glasses) and then not mess with it in the water. Frankly I can't even see the #$%^ing 2"x2" LCD display clearly enough (despite its backlighting) to be confident that I've framed the shot. Either system does not make ol' surfer dudes into chick magnets.

So I've stopped trying to capture the action and decided to enjoy the conditions. If our kid wants to take more surf shots then I'll be a cooperative model. But I'd rather enjoy some parent-kid waves with her instead.

Speaking of which, our kid wants a ride to school this morning and it's 4-6 on the south shore. So I'll drop her in the parking lot and then drop the longboard in the water! Later...

Old 09-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #54

bastard!!!! My mental image of you while we are grinding away at our desks:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg noseride1.jpg (36.4 KB, 67 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb noseride1.jpg_thumb (31.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
My mental image of you while we are grinding away at our desks:
Well, if it's any consolation, I pearled one so hard I thought my eyes would be bloodshot. I managed to pull it out but later on the beach I leaned over and nearly a half-cup of water drained out of some sinus cavity... never had that happen before!

Sorry to say I haven't hung more than five yet. I'm doing it on a 9'0" and I'm 190 pounds so hanging ten will continue to be a struggle...

Hey, the stuff we've had this week should be over at your place by now!

Old 09-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #56

Quote:
I leaned over and nearly a half-cup of water drained out of some sinus cavity...
Was taking a zoology lab exam in college and leaned over the lab bench and spilled a half cup or so and everyone jumped back in horror.* Not to worry, sinus flush is good for you.* Had some laser turbinate reduction and my ENT said surfers heal the best due to our natural, power sinus irrigation.* I think the swell is starting to back down... find out tomorrow AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #57

Quote:
Screw that-- it's easier to buy a plane ticket and I'll give you the directions to the beach.
Your on. On one of my ever so fun biz trips to the Far East I'll make a detour and bring the kites and camera with me.

It's been a solid 4-8 feet every day for two weeks... no way am I wasting my time playing surf photographer!
Your right, I'd rather be on the water and doing things rather than spending 2 hours a day posting-surfing on this site occasionally recording events with my kids. :P Actually, both my kids love photography (my 16 and 8 yr old took all the pic's I've been attaching) as much as participating in activities, so it's all part of the grand picture for us Different strokes for different folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hannah-in-action.jpg (57.7 KB, 38 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Hannah-in-action.jpg_thumb (26.3 KB, 0 views)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Your right, I'd rather be on the water and doing things rather than spending 2 hours a day posting-surfing on this site occasionally recording events with my kids.:P
The vast majority of my posts here are done before sunrise & after sunset (when the sharks aren't feeding). In fact most evenings I can tell when Dory's server is doing its daily maintenance.

Our kid's turned into a real surf animal-- she's grown a lot of shoulder muscle in the last year, she's a much more efficient paddler, she's retired her paddling gloves, and she's starting to work on her angled takeoffs & bottom turns. I'm actually feeling a little jealous that she's discovered all these activities at her age!

Old 09-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

After two weeks off because of a pulled back muscle, I found I'd lost a lot of my paddling strength and endurance.* I found this set of excercises that I think will help me keep those muscles conditioned:

Paddling Muscle Exercises

Exercise 4 seems like the best one, since it most closely emulates the motions of paddling.* In fact, I've tried it bent over the entire time, and alternating arms, just like real paddling.*

Quote:
...her paddling gloves
What's the story on these?* When my wet suit gloves wear out, I'm thinking of getting a pair of webbed wet suit gloves.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Paddling exercises...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dominatrix-with-paddle.jpg (21.0 KB, 20 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb dominatrix-with-paddle.jpg_thumb (28.0 KB, 0 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote