Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Surfing Thread
Old 09-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
What's the story on these?* When my wet suit gloves wear out, I'm thinking of getting a pair of webbed wet suit gloves.
They're Aquasphere swim gloves, neoprene with webbing that forces your digits apart, so you have to get used to paddling with your hands spread open like duck feet. It's like paddling with a ping pong paddle in each hand.

She had a very inefficient paddling stroke (didn't focus on cupping her fingers) so the "cool gear" factor at least kept her in the water until I could teach her a better stroke. (Now she's cupping her fingers, digging all the way in, and learning the s-curve.) The resistance of the paddling gloves may actually put more strain on your rotator cuff than you want, but it'll certainly build up your shoulder muscles. However the gloves have open fingers so I'm not sure whether there's enough neoprene to maintain bloodflow. You might find something better in freediving or triathlon gear.

We bought them in the aerobics section of Sports Authority.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:16 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm considering.* Like these.* *Anything that will help me catch more waves.

By the "S-curve" you're talking about bringing your hands somewhat under the board in the middle of the stroke, yes?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I just got back from Kiteboarding (next post) and saw the call for action shots. I don't have many since who carries a camera. But I have a couple of me (jibing) and my son Toby (crashing) while windsurfing in Aruba:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d4.jpg (17.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg t4.jpg (14.5 KB, 33 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb d4.jpg_thumb (36.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb t4.jpg_thumb (25.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, that's the kind of thing I'm considering.* Like these.
Those look much better-- but I'd hate to be a member of the North Wales Surfing Club!

Quote:
By the "S-curve" you're talking about bringing your hands somewhat under the board in the middle of the stroke, yes?
Yeah, I either read about it or learned that somewhere in a swimming class. It must use different muscles than a straight shot down; I switch between the two on long paddles and can actually get the board up on plane a little.

If I surf 2x/week I can paddle well. If I surf 3x/week I can really tell the improvement in paddling strength & acceleration. Of course by then I'm starting to skip yardwork, take longer naps, and move a lot slower in tae kwon do... but I have a smile on my face!

Our kid saw a Ben Aipa stinger on the beach last weekend-- $600 three years ago, which actually seems cheap for his reputation. http://www.benaipa.com/ Nice-looking board...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:05 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Kudos to TargaDave for the link to Real Kiteboarding in Hatteras. My son and I just spent the weekend down there. For anyone thinking about it, kiteboarding is fun but it is not easy. Learning to control those big animals is a trip. And trying to control the kite while launching and riding a board is a double trip.

We spent one day with no wind learning the theory and polishing out board skills behind a jet ski. That was a lot of fun. The second day blew perfectly -- about 15mph. The morning we spent on land with a trainer kite (learning basic control) and then on the water with a real kite again just learning some control. The afternoon was back on the water doing body drags behind the kite (you learn to control the kite while being pulled through the water - and occasionally into the air), upwind drags, etc. Loads of fun. We finished off with a few attempts to get up on the board. We were unsuccessful - probably because we were doing it like you would with a wakeboard -- leaning back against the sail too much. The outer banks is perfect for this because there are miles and miles of waist deep water. You can virtually always stand up. Couple that with an instructor on a jet ski and you have the perfect learning environment.

Yesterday morning we went back out in about 20mph. The instructor got us to do a more windsurfer waterstart like approach where we rolled up onto the board. Son Toby, did great. He got right up and got some fairly long (20 seconds) runs and a few spectacular launches (fifteen feet in the air - board left behind). Sure wish I had the underwater housing and camera. I did not do as well (58 YO body vs 32). I could drag along with the board in front of me with good control of the kite. But when I dove the kite to get power and came up on the board, I quickly lost control of the kite and crashed. I too enjoyed some spectacular launches sans board. After a long morning session the wind started to climb rapidly toward 30mph. DS and I decided to call it quits. We both were sore and realized we would probably not continue learning.

We plan to return in the spring and see if we can get our skills up to the sailing back and forth level. Toby will definitely get there quickly and I am optimistic about myself. To compare this to windsurfing I would say this is just as hard but quicker. By that I mean that combing handling a kite and riding a board is a tricky combination. I would expect most people would need two to three good days on the water - surfers would probably benefit well from their twichy board muscles. The good side is that once you are up and able to sail at all, you are flying on a plane -- loads of fun. With windsurfing, in comparison, most people can get the board up and puttering along fairly quickly but it takes a long time to build skills to the point that you can get back in the straps, hooked in and planing which is where the fun really begins.

TargaDave - I am curious about your take on doing this without the support of an instructor and shallow water. I have a house on the water but we are talking only 100 yards of shallow water and then you are over your head. My take on this sport is that you need to build some pretty good skills before you take your own gear out in deep water. We figure we will stick with Hatteras and see if we can get good enough to be comfortable back home. At that point we can consider buying a kite. It will help that I have a jet-ski so DS and I can chase each other down as we blow miles down the river.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Here are some shots of my home break. Wave height today: 3.5 feet. Got three good rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HomeBreak1.jpg (26.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg HomeBreak2.jpg (24.0 KB, 21 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb HomeBreak1.jpg_thumb (30.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb HomeBreak2.jpg_thumb (29.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HomeBreak3.jpg (13.7 KB, 21 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb HomeBreak3.jpg_thumb (23.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-26-2006, 02:48 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a beautiful beach.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Help Me With My Shark-itis

I'm starting to think too much about sharks. There were some great white sightings reported in the paper 20 miles north of my surfing spot, and I almost didn't go surfing today 'cause I knew I'd be the only one out there.

I'll be out there all by myself, and be very conscious of my legs dangling down. I know I'm more likely to be injured driving to the surf spot, but can't help looking around...

Sure had a good day surfing, though -- got about six really fine rides, which is good for me. Walked around on the board a bit.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Help Me With My Shark-itis

I'm starting to think too much about sharks. There were some great white sightings reported in the paper 20 miles north of my surfing spot, and I almost didn't go surfing today 'cause I knew I'd be the only one out there.

I'll be out there all by myself, and be very conscious of my legs dangling down. I know I'm more likely to be injured driving to the surf spot, but can't help looking around...
Candygram...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:21 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #73

That's a tough one. Even though it's unlikely, it's a legit concern for you. I can empathize with you. Face it, the only sure cure is to stay out of the water, and are you going to do that? Have you ever had the tingles in your shark detector while out there? Do you listen to it? If so you know what I mean. I have gotten out many a time because my radar was going off in sharky waters. I'll never know if it was just nerves. I know guys say they never had a clue before the attack, but....? :P
Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
That's a tough one. Even though it's unlikely, it's a legit concern for you. I can empathize with you.
Never had that feeling either, and when a monk seal buzzed through our lineup we never had a clue until we saw it 20 feet away heading for the beach.

FWIW the shallower areas (shallower than 10 feet) kick up a lot of sand that sharks don't care for. But that's an intellectual, logical approach to telling a primal atavistic instinct to calm down-- never a wise idea.

If I had that sharky feeling then I'd paddle in. If I had it more than once a year then I'd try to pay attention to whatever might be triggering the feeling to figure out what's going on, but I'd still listen to my instincts. Since you're wearing a wetsuit, I might also consider investing in one of the electronic shark-repellent gizmos sold in dive shops.

Two other comments--
1. Bethany Hamilton was imitating dolphin calls with a friend when the shark attacked her, but no one's attempted to make any causality of it.
2. If I was cut, bruised, or bleeding then I'd paddle in smartly.

Surf sucks this week and what timing-- the kid's on break. We're considering either taking her up to Haleiwa Ali'i to see how rude some surfers can be (and for some of the world's most arduous toilet-bowl paddling) or else cruising Waialua/Mokuleia with FrankO's surf map to see what's up. And maybe it's time to e-mail an old work buddy to see if he'll introduce me around Makaha.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #75

How big is big ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big-wave1.jpg (22.4 KB, 9 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb big-wave1.jpg_thumb (25.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin
How big is big ?
My reaction was: "RUNNNNNN!!!"

Would you feel the impact before you lost consciousness, or would you regain consciousness as you were dragged across the reef?

Where/when/who was this?

Old 10-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #77

I am sure I'd be dead before anything else happened. It looks like teahupoo as thick as that lip is.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:14 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I had that sharky feeling then I'd paddle in.
Well, when you're the only one out there on a foggy morning, in a place that has had shark attacks in the past, there's no way to not have that sharky feeling.

I was hoping you guys would say something like "It's a one-in-500-million chance of being attacked," "more likely to be struck by lightning" etc. That's what I was looking for.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:15 PM   #79

Cue the music from "jaws" duh da, duh da duh da...

Somehow friends and relatives saying "he died doing what he loved" doesn't quite get it done, eh?

Oh yeah, one more thing, don't pee in your wetsuit whatever you do... it's like shark lemonade!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was hoping you guys would say something like "It's a one-in-500-million chance of being attacked," "more likely to be struck by lightning" etc. That's what I was looking for.
Well, if it makes you feel better you're absolutely right, but I've learned to listen to that little voice screaming inside my head!

Frankly what scares the heck outta me in the lineup is the helicopter pilots who hover down real low to check the thongs waves. One moment of "Wow, look at that!" inattention and we're all surfer sushi...