Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
GFs response: 'Laird got out naked at Baldwin? I'd would have liked to see that!'
You're going to have to explain Seinfeld's concept of "shrinkage"...

Anyway she oughta call Gabby, who's probably getting quite cranky & tired of him at this point. Has she delivered their third yet?

Note that Laird's dramatic rescue happened because they were on their second session of the day and the jetski driver was trying to pull Laird out of his kickout. I wonder what had more of his attention-- Laird getting worked or the oncoming waves.

This Lone Ranger seems to be going through Tontos at a fast clip. I wonder how much life insurance his sponsors have taken out on him, and whether they can still afford the premiums. Pretty soon the other moms aren't going to let their kids play with Laird anymore...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

brrrr.... still thawing out the toes from this morning's session. Not used to this mid-50's stuff. I don't know if the water is worse than the freezing offshore wind cutting through my 4/3 O'Neil. I guess hypothermia is when I can't stand up anymore and just go directly to falling off sideways on the drop-in like Arte Johnson on his tricycle from Laugh-In.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
brrrr.... still thawing out the toes from this morning's session. Not used to this mid-50's stuff. I don't know if the water is worse than the freezing offshore wind cutting through my 4/3 O'Neil. I guess hypothermia is when I can't stand up anymore and just go directly to falling off sideways on the drop-in like Arte Johnson on his tricycle from Laugh-In.
It's not good when the water feels warmer than the air. And when the beach shower feels hot, you're in trouble!

I'm not going to whine, but I saw neoprene at the south shore yesterday. I think this is why Al visits in March...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Finally I can join this thread too :)
Old 12-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #164
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finally I can join this thread too :)

I'd like to thanks Nords for great Oahu hospitality and excellent surfing lessons at White Plains.
He went far beyond call of duty even providing free babysitting (his DD) while I was trying to tame longboards

Mahalo from mainland,
sailors

Old 12-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #165

Nice photo! I think I caught a snapshot of you two trying to get over some incoming waves...

Old 01-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #166

In response to the state budget disaster, Arnold is proposing (among other things like cutting 3 billion from schools) closing the state park where I surf. And I just bought my $125 annual pass. Too soon to panic, as this is probably the bluff that gets people to "demand" a tax hike so he can grudgingly oblige.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A surfer died at the Crescent City beach at which I often surf (I might surf there tomorrow). Is it just around here that it's such a rough sport (shark attacks, deaths)?

The cause of death is not yet known.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
A surfer died at the Crescent City beach at which I often surf (I might surf there tomorrow). Is it just around here that it's such a rough sport (shark attacks, deaths)?
The cause of death is not yet known.
We have our share of people who get into rougher water than they were really able to handle.

Or who taste yummy.

The good news is that you probably won't have a lot of trouble finding a parking space...

By the way, Al, the White Plains Shore Shack has put up a new vacation planning tool:
White Plains Beach, Kalaeloa

Old 01-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #169

Quote:
In response to the state budget disaster, Arnold is proposing (among other things like cutting 3 billion from schools) closing the state park where I surf. And I just bought my $125 annual pass. Too soon to panic, as this is probably the bluff that gets people to "demand" a tax hike so he can grudgingly oblige.

Well I guess you get what ya pay for right? I mean I have seen 2 million dollar homes in CA with realestate taxes at 4000 dollar a year bills. Well I would say that is part of your problems.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #170

And as soon as that home is sold it is reassessed and taxed at market value. It seems more that spending what we don't have based on what we might get is a problem when we don't get it. Raise taxes or adjust spending? Not just a CA question. Turns out the proposal is to cut back to a minimum on lifeguards rather than shut down the beach. Excellent job of misreporting by the LA Times. Don't need no stinking lifeguard.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Don't need no stinking lifeguard.
Speaking of raising revenues, I've been meaning to ask-- do SOCAL surfers still need to have surfing licenses on their boards? Or did that go away?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Speaking of raising revenues, I've been meaning to ask-- do SOCAL surfers still need to have surfing licenses on their boards? Or did that go away?
No, but you have to license your boat, even if it's on a trailer in your back yard and hasn't seen water in 20 yrs. The trailer, though, can avoid licensing if you file a non-operational exemption. Go figure.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
By the way, Al, the White Plains Shore Shack has put up a new vacation planning tool:
White Plains Beach, Kalaeloa
Those are really nice photos from Waimea Bay and WPB. I'm surprised there aren't severe injuries at Waimea as the photos show 3-4 people at a time dropping into very large waves. THis wouldn't go over well where I surf (and watch).

Any pictures of you or your daughter at WPB?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Help me choose the surfboard to rent at Waikiki. Here are the options.

My board is a 9'8" Harbour Banana, and I weigh 168.

Last year, there always seemed to be someone further out with a longer board, catching the nicest waves. This year, I want to be that guy (while still maintaining aloha wave-sharing spirit), so I plan to rent a longer board.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, but you have to license your boat, even if it's on a trailer in your back yard and hasn't seen water in 20 yrs.
Thanks, I have the same issue with my bicycle...

Quote:
Well, the good news is that you're used to lugging around the weight of the longer boards. I'm always surprised at how much more another foot of foam & fiberglas weighs.

I don't like the ride of the Sunset softies and I've scraped the heck out of my knees on them while paddling.

Last week I rode a board with a slim profile very similar to the 10'0" Bear, with a 9" single fin (no thrusters). It was both easy at catching waves and still quick on turns. All you'd need to add would be mounting brackets for the turn signals and the beverage cooler...

I bet they rent that 12'0" Munoz out to stand-up paddlesurfers.

Quote:
Those are really nice photos from Waimea Bay and WPB. I'm surprised there aren't severe injuries at Waimea as the photos show 3-4 people at a time dropping into very large waves. THis wouldn't go over well where I surf (and watch).
Any pictures of you or your daughter at WPB?
We keep dragging our Pentax Optio W10 into the surf with wildly varying results, and I'm too presbyopic to frame the shots without reading glasses-- which goes over really well with the rest of the lineup. Before our kid goes off to college I think I'm going to have the SurfShooter guys show us what they can do. Looks like they shoot from shore with a telephoto lens and a tripod, which is just fine with me.

We caught a wave together last week and I pulled up alongside for a high-five. She overbalanced and almost made it a tandem performance but managed to turn away in time.

Anyway all our father-daughter shots are on dry land-- here's one taken by Al last year! And when's the last time you've seen a malo on a Hawaii beach?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carving pineapple at White Plains.jpg (121.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP1156.JPG (371.2 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Al's rental link reminds me of another question.

A friend tried out a 9" Turbo Tunnel fin yesterday and I can't figure out why its hydrodynamics make it worth $70 + S&H. Have any of you tried it, and can you tell any difference?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turbo Tunnel fin.jpg (14.4 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

And here's Nords and me at WPB:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54NordsAndAlWithBoards.jpg (183.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #178

Quote:
For me it would be fun to try the 9'8 and 10' August, and the 10' bear. Or just pic the one best for nose riding.

Quote:
A friend tried out a 9" Turbo Tunnel fin yesterday and I can't figure out why its hydrodynamics make it worth $70 + S&H. Have any of you tried it, and can you tell any difference?
I can't imagine how that fin can be an improvement. What did your friend say? I've never experimented with different fins on my longboard. On the sailboard swapping fins can make a big difference.

A few weeks ago I tried Stand-Up Paddle surfing. I was on a 12' board and caught a few shoulder high waves. Even just paddling around was fun. I was lucky that the water was very flat and glassy (no wind). Even in those conditions I wasn't very stable paddling around. By the end I was getting the hang of it. The long board breaks around here are full of stand-ups now. They can catch the wave very very early.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I can't imagine how that fin can be an improvement. What did your friend say? I've never experimented with different fins on my longboard. On the sailboard swapping fins can make a big difference.
He's only been surfing a couple months and he couldn't tell the difference. I couldn't either. I can appreciate the submarine hydrodynamics applications but it seems like a gimmick.

Quote:
The long board breaks around here are full of stand-ups now. They can catch the wave very very early.
I used to see one or two a week and now I see at least three every day, including one or two who need a very wide clearance with perhaps individual lifeguard monitoring.

I've seen some ugly "sup" flame wars on Craigslist. Reminds me of short vs long or groms&kooks or boogies vs everybody. I'm going to hold off until longboarding gets "boring", which at this rate will take at least the rest of the decade.