Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Surf's Up! - Earthquake - Hawaii - 6.3
Old 10-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

"What we learned from the earthquake".

(Or, for you veterans, here's the spouse-reviewed AAR. Gumby, the post-drill critique commences in the wardroom at 1130.)

1. You have a couple days to get ready for a hurricane. You have about five seconds to get ready for an earthquake-- the time it takes you to get to the nearest exit (or doorway).

2. Try not to yell during the earthquake even if it makes you feel better. No one will be able to understand you but it might scare the heck out of them.

3. Your kids may not respond to your words but they sure understand your facial expression and your body language. This works pretty well for the first hour after the quake, too.

4. When the quake stops, try to leave everything where it fell for an hour or so. Try not to clean up until later. If you're on the ground floor then go outside and get ready for the aftershocks. If you're in a high rise then move fast (and get lucky) or find a doorway and hope your building is strong. An aftershock would be a really bad time to be stuck in an elevator or a stairwell.

5. Take a few minutes right now to think of a good answer for the moment when your kid wants to go back into the house to rescue the family pet(s).

6. We don't store bottled water, so we would have been in trouble if the earthquake had destroyed our neighborhood's water piping. We probably need to find a place that can store at least 20 gallons without spoiling or leaking.

7. Most of the island's water pumps don't have backup electricity. Utility reservoirs were nearly emptied in only 10 hours. As soon as the aftershocks finished and we caught our breath, we filled the whirlpool tub (50 gallons) and milk jugs (25 gallons). (We actually had 30 milk jugs but five had rotted & cracked in attic storage.) I was pleased to see that our whirlpool tub's drain stopper does not leak.

8. Flush the toilets with buckets of rain water or anything other than drinking water. You may have to teach your kids how to do this but it might be the best entertainment you get all week.

9. Keep a week's worth of dried/canned "hurricane food" because you may have to live on it when the earthquake turns off the power. Grocery stores do not usually have backup power for the cash registers, ATMs, or barcode scanners. Thousands survived the quake and spent the rest of the day standing in line for bottled water & canned goods while the clerks rang them up on calculators & price books. Retail food outlets will be stripped by sunrise the following day.

10. You may have to live for a couple weeks on whatever cash you have stashed in the house. (Same for the car's gas.) I'm not suggesting that people should stockpile either one, only that they should be able to live without them for a while.

11. Refrigerator & freezer doors should only be opened with parental permission. Make a list of what you're going to take out and don't dawdle.

12. Buy a dozen AA batteries and a dozen D batteries. Hide them from your kids and replace them after every Christmas. Use the former in your kid's MP3 player (connected to the computer speakers) and the latter in the battery-powered lantern.

13. Emergency batteries are not for Playstations or other personal electronics. Kids can play board games, read books, and even (*gasp*) clean their rooms while they're waiting for the power to come back on.

14. There's probably only one radio station in your neighborhood with backup power. Many stations use automated programming after business hours, so unless Civil Defense goes on the air immediately with their Emergency Broadcast System it may take a while for a live announcer to get to the radio station. Even then, unless you've run out of things to do, it's probably only worth listening to on the hour. Save your battery power for a real emergency broadcast.

15. Kids need to learn that candles do not leave the kitchen/diningroom and most especially do not belong in the bedrooms. They're also not necessary in bathrooms unless you've been rearranging the furniture in there.

16. Cell phones may be able to send text messages but the voice net will be overloaded. The kids in your neighborhood who are addicted to their cell phones will be at your house to play as soon as their batteries run out.

17. The people who live outside your disaster area are better informed by CNN than you are by your Emergency Broadcast Service.

18a. If your English teacher assigned the project two weeks ago and it's due tomorrow but you need house electricity to turn on the computer and copy your files, then you can't use the excuse "The earthquake ate my homework."

18b. Buy an UPS.

19. In 37-40 weeks we're gonna find out how many kids were conceived during the power outage. If you're one of those new parents who was actually left alone by your other kids er couldn't think of anything better to do I mean is going to need a doctor and a delivery room, now would be a good time to start making reservations. Good luck with that.

And finally...

To Mr. John Harrison of Nu`uanu Valley: sir, for your own personal safety, after the next natural disaster please don't call up the radio station, tell the DJ your full name & neighborhood, and announce to the entire freakin' island that you have a stand-alone solar system supplying you with more electricity & hot water than you can use. If HECO had gone down hard, by day three you would've needed machine-gun nests around your house.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I was stationed at FICPAC on Oahu back in 1973-74. They had a minor earthquake there at that time but I missed the whole thing...I was up in a helicopter at the time. I had to wait til I was in 29 Palms CA in 1979 to experience my first earthquake. Being from Pennsylvania and Ohio, I was more accustomed to hurricanes and tornadoes. Just can't get away from Mother Nature, I guess.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Whoa dude.

Just had a "Happy Thanksgiving" temblor roll under our foundation. It was only about 10 seconds, enough to hear that familiar roof-shaking sound, and then it was over. It didn't even shake my computer chair. It couldn't have been above 5.0 and there doesn't seem to be any media response yet.

Now I'm hoping that it really was an earthquake. We're not insured for land subsidence or lava-tube sinkholes. OTOH we're not insured for earthquakes either, but I don't want to find out that our ridge perimeter lot is about to become gulch property.

Our kid was in the shower and never noticed it. My spouse and I were immediately up and heading for her bathroom and then the exits. Spouse feels much better now that she's actually experienced a Hawaii quake (she never felt the last ones when she was driving down the highway).

Guess I'd better get that turkey in the oven before it's too late. And then I'll check the news again.

Still haven't bought a $%^&ing UPS...

EDIT: OK, I'm not losing my mind after all.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...html/?print=on

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey Nords what going on over there Was that an after shock or another quake....hope all is well and you enjoyed your Turkey..

Kathyet
kathyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyet
Hey Nords what going on over there Was that an after shock or another quake....hope all is well and you enjoyed your Turkey..
Yep, it was a real quake in the same place as the October one.

The October one shook our house east-west-- no damage. The Thanksgiving one was much shorter & milder but it shook our house north-south-- and the kitchen ceiling has separated at a wallboard joint. Luckily it's on a short part between the wall and a cabinet. Kailua-Kona on the Big Island lost power for 90 minutes on turkey day so I'm not complaining.

The Big Island just had another small one-- this time off the north coast instead of near K-K. Thanksgiving went fine but I think we're all getting a little jumpy!

Kilauea has been churning out the lava for over 20 years and has created hundreds of acres of new land. I guess the earthquakes are just part of the cycle.