Join Early Retirement Today

Surf's Up! - Earthquake - Hawaii - 6.3
Old 10-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Surf's Up! - Earthquake - Hawaii - 6.3

Nords - possibility of some healthy wave action...have you been out already?
..Hope all is well at your house...

HONOLULU An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 struck Hawaii early Sunday morning, waking up residents and knocking out power.

The U.S. Geological Survey also reported several aftershocks, including one measuring a magnitude of 5.8. No damage reports were immediately available.

The quake occurred at 7:07 a.m. local time, 10 miles north-northwest of Kailua Kona, a town on the west coast of the Big Island, said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center, part of the U.S. Geological Survey.

Blakeman said researchers were still trying to ascertain how many aftershocks struck and how large.

Blakeman said there was no risk of a Pacific-wide tsunami, but a possibility of significant wave activity in Hawaii.

The quake occurred about 155 miles to the southeast of Honolulu, the state capital, in Oahu.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Surf's Up! - Earthquake - Hawaii - 6.3
Old 10-15-2006, 02:16 PM   #2

I'll wager a bet he's already on his board.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

He lives in Oahu (I think). Ninety-five percent of residents there are without power. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...tm?POE=NEWISVA

Might as well go surfing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #4

We were talking to daughter, who lives on the North Shore, when the quake happened. She had some plates and pans fall down, but nothing serious. It seemed to last between 5 + 10 seconds. Just talked to her about 5 mins ago, and still no power. She did indicate that the surfers were heading out. Betcha NORDS is with 'em.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
He lives in Oahu (I think). Ninety-five percent of residents there are without power.
Not Nords, with all those PV panels...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Not Nords, with all those PV panels...
Yep. A guy with his own 'solar system' should be immune from grid problems...not that any of us would give him a hard time if his new-clear engineering skills didn't hold up to a little shakin'.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

USGS almost real time map of earthquake activity:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...ial/Hawaii.php

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #8

sorry to bring this up....I don't like mentioning this...but there is a slumbering volcano on the Big Island...is earthquake activity around volcanos associated with future volcanic activity...I do hope it is a separate isolated one time event
Old 10-15-2006, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I'll wager a bet he's already on his board.
He was probably on his way to the beach when he discovered the only road that was blocked is the one to the beach.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even if Nords has electricity, I would imagine his ISP does not.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We're fine-- cowabunga indeed.

By the time the vibration got to us it was still pretty strong-- the house was oscillating a half-step east-to-west, every cabinet was rattling, the doors were bouncing around in their frames, and it sounded like a helicopter was landing on the roof. It was all lateral, nothing vertical. It lasted for about 30 seconds (or an hour, I'm not sure which) and was followed a few minutes later by a weaker aftershock. Spouse had just driven off to her Reserve drill weekend but came home when the traffic lights went out and the car accidents began piling up. She missed the whole thing! The kid & I got into our closet under the steps on the first temblor (that's our hurricane shelter, too) and, despite the torrential rain we've been having, we decided to watch the second quake from outside. Our bunny didn't come out of his familyroom cardboard-box cave for a couple hours. For those of you who've been through an earthquake (or lived in California), I think ours was between 5.0-6.0 with the aftershock barely at 5.0.

HECO's generators tripped off from the vibrations (as they're designed to do) and I'm pretty sure that the crews evacuated. A quake off the north coast of the Big Island is the state's doomsday scenario for a tsunami that'd wipe out Maui & Oahu 15 minutes later, and all our electric plants are right next to the water. Luckily a tsunami didn't develop so everyone returned to their homes & businesses. It took another nine hours for HECO to finish their equipment & startup checks to get power back up to us, and it'll take them all night to power up the rest of the island. I'm sure glad spouse wasn't at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center or PACOM HQ-- or she'd still be there.

No surfing today. Everyone was told to stay off the roads-- too much rain runoff, no traffic signals, and the odd rockfall. I'm surprised the temblor didn't drop Roosevelt Bridge (est. 1933) into Kipapa Gulch. We spent the rest of the day filling bathtubs & water jugs from the faucets (in case the reservoirs ran out) and going through the disaster checklist. The fridge & freezer did great and we didn't lose any food. The local radio station came up just fine and we were kept pretty well informed because Hawaii expats on the Mainland were calling the radio station to tell us what was on CNN. Power came back on in time to save me from having to fire up the barbeque for dinner. The house looks OK and tomorrow we'll check out the photovoltaic wiring & solar water heating piping. There wasn't enough light or heat today to trigger the solar systems.

You guys probably know more than we do at this point. We heard that Kailua-Kona had minor building damage, some sinkholes where land is over lava tubes, and plenty of rain-inspired vehicle accidents. Hopefully the rain will ease up tomorrow and we can walk the rest of the property for other surprises.

Parents in law don't have power yet but should have it tonight. As far as we can tell their house came through just fine too.

I'm glad we didn't go surfing-- we spent the rest of the day twitching whenever a door slammed. I've been through this before but you kinda expect it to happen in California.

As for the photovoltaics-- we have a grid-tied system that depends on the grid to provide the reference voltage for the inverter. No grid, no inverter. But we got a lot of Monopoly-playing & room-cleaning done today to keep our kid occupied!

Those of you who've gone to cordless phones or even cell phones-- it's a good idea to have a 1980s vintage Ma Bell push-button phone that plugs into the wall line without needing house power. A really good idea.

I'll catch up tomorrow. We're looking forward to a boring night...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:06 AM   #12

Keep loose, Nords. Nobody to whom I have sent e-mail there has responded yet; I'm guessing they simply didn't get power back as soon as you did.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #13

Glad to hear that you came through it relatively unscathed and your family wasn't separated for any length of time.

Born and raised in California, yes we kind of expect earthquakes.....I've felt my share...
Good news about no tsunami, that was my first concern...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:19 AM   #14

Nords,

Glad to hear that everything is good with you and your family. I thought of you immediately when I heard of the quake. It is funny how one can care about someone that you have never met! I also thought of my friend's nephew who is stationed at the marine base in O'ahu. He just returned from Iraq. He was injured slightly while in Iraq and then to go to HI and have an earthquake. He is supposed to come home to WV around 10/27/06, so I hope that he is still able to come. (I have never met him yet either. If we get to go to HI in 01/07, he is the reason for the trip. I will be traveling with his father and aunt.)

Dreamer
Old 10-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Yikes - I was thinking about you, Nords, and am glad to hear you are unscathed more or less.

At least with the odd hurricane you have a few days warning. With a quake it's all a great big surprise. Must be scarey.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad everyone is okay over there never realized there where earthquakes in Hawaii just never thought about it becasue of the Volocano....hope any after shocks are just very minor. Nords you were the first person I thought glad everything is okay with you and your family....and all you other surfers from there...

Kathyet
Old 10-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #17

Quote:
For those of you who've been through an earthquake (or lived in California),
Up till now I pretty much viewed these as one and the same, Nords! Please add my best wishes to those of the group -- I thought about you right away and am glad to know everyone is safe and sound.

I remember the big one here in Northern California -- I was in the BASEMENT at Cal and we still rocked pretty good -- it's scary right up front and leaves you nervous as a cat for a while afterward. Go easy on yourselves for a while -- your nerves will thank you.

Caroline

Old 10-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #18

I was in Seattle when it was hit with a magnitude 6.8 in 2001. I was on the 40th floor at the time. It rocked!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Glad you're o.k. Nords. Any other Hawaii-based members here?

Yup, had my share of the shakes during my six-year habitation of California. I vividly remember the early morning Oct. 1987 Whittier-Narrows tremblor in LA. I was doing graduate work at USC then and late nights were de rigeur. I had just started to doze off when surreally the area car alarms started to go off followed by a 20 sec. lateral rocking motion spiced by a couple of strong jolts. The old apt building creaked and heaved noisily but somehow survived. Not a half dozen freeway overpasses though.

Our semi-feral feline earthquake predictor -- the resident cat -- slept through the whole episode .......... so much for the animal kingdom's purported pre-awareness of such calamities.

No earthquakes here in KL, though highrises swayed during the Dec. 2004 magnitude 9.1 great Sumatran earthquake (and ensuing tsunami), ~ 500 miles to our northwest.

True wealth is not measured by what you have, but is measured by what you don&#039;t need.<br />~ Mahatma Gandhi ~
Under FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm on the Windward side of Oahu and we didn't get power until 9:00 pm last night. It was a good sized quake. I was in the Northridge quake in '94 and that was much worse as I was only 2 miles from the epicenter. After the power went out, DH and I thought "Let's go to breakfast". Little did we know that the entire island was shut down. It was a pretty mellow day at home. It's amazing how electricity-dependent we are!! I agree with Nords about the phones. We sure wish we had the old-fashioned kind yesterday!!