Surfs up Nords

wildcat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Flossie is on its way. 1st hurricane this year that looks like it hit land in the US and it will be Hawaii of all places.

Stay safe and catch a few waves while you can :cool:

Nords:

Flossie Aside, do you surf the giant waves at Wiamaia Bay ?

Quake shakes Hawaii; hurricane nears

A magnitude 5.3 earthquake jolted the Big Island of Hawaii, which is already under a hurricane watch.

Uh oh, Nords. What on earth could be next?

If your doorbell rings (assuming your solar array continues to function) don't answer. It's probably Hoecuss peddling vacuum cleaners and variable annuities.

Looks like Paradise will be served shaken and stirred this week.

Be safe Nords!

I know how nerve wracking it can be waiting for the storm and following it's path. Stay safe and keep us posted.

Well, our Sunday kinda sucked (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/546364-post7.html) with all the running around & hauling, and Monday morning was more of the same, until a friend called to say he'd be at White Plains beach at 10 AM. So we got a couple hours in 2-4 footers although it was mighty windy & choppy.

This is the closest approach since 1992's Iniki and this hurricane was really hanging in there. NWS used every spin trick in the book (short of blatant lying) to [-]avoid upsetting the visitors[/-] reduce public fears and you could read between the lines of the updates to see the bureaucratic bickering. But it was the first one of the season, too, so military & Civil Defense were way too alert yesterday and by lunchtime everyone was champing at the bit to staff up their command centers. Spouse was actually recalled to start doing disaster assessment but it was decided to wait until after Flossie hit Hilo.* Luckily cooler waters finally prevailed overnight and everyone's calming down.

Looks like Flossie is going to fall apart today, so we'll sit tight through Wednesday's rain and think about putting things back together on Thursday (after I'm done surfing). Our hurricane checklist is much improved and I learned a few more prep tricks from a local discussion board. I don't think it's a coincidence that our picture windows are just slightly smaller than a 4'x8' sheet of plywood.

It's also a potent reminder of how much crap has accumulated on our lanai. Some of it went straight into the trash can instead of the garage.

A magnitude 5.3 earthquake jolted the Big Island of Hawaii, which is already under a hurricane watch.
Uh oh, Nords. What on earth could be next?
Is that scary timing or what? The Big Island's mayor, Harry Kim, ran their Civil Defense bureau for 25 years. There's a rumor that he's trying to more efficiently synergize the disasters by having Kilauea & Flossie balance each other.

The Big Island & Oahu have both been experiencing drought conditions this summer, so hopefully several inches of rain won't wash it all away. It'll also help extinguish the 3000-acre brush fire on the North Shore.

Flossie Aside, do you surf the giant waves at Wiamaia Bay ?
I did, once: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...t-still-problem-fleawipeouteddieaikau2005.jpg

Just kidding-- that's Flea Virostko winning "Best Wipeout" on a 35-footer at Waimea's 2004 Eddie Aikau.

I've surfed 15s and looked over the lip of a 16 that in retrospect I was fortunate not to catch. The wipeout is similar to standing in a driveway gazing up at a two-story house and then having it fall on you. I'm perfectly happy with anything up to 10 feet, and above that I have no desire to see how long I can hold my breath while remaining conscious...

[*In military/civil defense jargon, this approach is better described as "$%&^ you, Big Island, we're holding onto all our supplies until we see what Flossie does to Oahu. Check in with us the day after, OK? Aloha to you too!"]

Back
Top Bottom