Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree with you on XP vs. Vista, but I'm pretty sure all the major manufacturers have rolled to Vista for their new machines so I think T-Al's stuck unless he wants to install an old copy of XP he might have lying around.
Surprisingly enough, XP was an option, and that's what I got.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I'm glad for you. In my job I work with both and I think Vista might become more stable than XP in, oh, maybe a year. It's still bloatware, though, no matter what else they do with it.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is probably a little late for Al, but those of you who are looking for a cheap laptop. This looks pretty good:

Even BETTER! Compaq C714NR Dual core laptop $399 starting Sunday 12/9 at Best Buy!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
This is probably a little late for Al, but those of you who are looking for a cheap laptop. This looks pretty good:

Even BETTER! Compaq C714NR Dual core laptop $399 starting Sunday 12/9 at Best Buy!
Good suggestion, but the pricing varies from state to state. Also, it's sold out online and the BB in my area are also sold out.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yep, as soon as these are announced, a lot of people go buy them and wait for the price drop, then bring them in for a price match. Or if they lock them up in the back until the sale, theres a line out the front door an hour before opening.

I havent put my hands on a compaq recently, but they were pretty much relegated to HP's low end product line some time ago and the build quality wasnt always that great nor the components too super. For $399 it's a nice deal though.

Al got a better processor, better video, more memory, and probably a bit better screen and customer support.

Not surprising, theres a big backlash on vista. Dell plans to continue offering XP for at least a while longer and IBM just rolled out a whole new thinkpad series which only comes with XP unless you specifically call and ask for vista to be installed.

With the very latest patches (like as of 2 weeks ago) my vista installs annoyance factor has barely dipped below the "throw it out and install XP" threshold. I finally got vista versions of most of the s/w I had, the drivers for the h/w on my laptop seem to have matured enough...but its slow compared to XP.

I understand that the new XP service pack 3 tweaks and tunes produce some benchmark results that are 30% faster than vista in the same hardware.

For anyone who just cant stand it and wants to take the leap, I'd strongly recommend a dual processor machine with 2GB of ram and a 7200rpm disk drive. It'll run on a single cpu/1gb/5400rpm machine, but its really a slog.

About the only really nice thing about Vista I've found is the pop up you get when anything tries to perform a system function, install or remove software, etc. All that now requires permission. I was completely unimpressed with the Aeroglass feature and its huge performance demands and ended up turning it off.

This might be a good one to skip. The next version of windows, based on this same kernel/architecture, has all the stuff in it that vista was supposed to have but ended up getting peeled out to get the product out the door.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote