Surrogate Next of Kin

We are all keeping good thoughts that you have a speedy recovery. How about a neighbor, someone close by that can look in and see that you are doing okay, or help run an errand to the store for you. You will be surprised how fast people will be there to help out if you reach out for help. All of us on this board are concerned for you. :)

OldAgePensioner said:
REW,
Over the last 3 months, I have been to hospital about 20 times and I've learned to check my ego at the door. I have yet to understand why the gowns are open in the back. :eek:

3 months, 20 times, oh man. Hope the visit will be it and you can be done with the medicals for a good long time.

Dear OAP:

Sending along a heartfelt wish that your procedure goes smoothly and that you recover as quickly as possible. I'll be thinking of you.

Sincerely,

Toejam

Good luck, OAP. Get well and feel better.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, OAP. If you don't post every day we're sending in the cavalry.... Seriously take care of your self, and let us know how you are doing.

Sheryl

Martha, Ha,Sheryl, Brewer, Toejam,Ginger,
Thanks to each of you for your thoughts. I'm headed out the door for pre-op testing this morning.

Blood, urine, EKG, CBC, etc. I'll bet I've swapped out all my blood in the last three months.

Unfortunately with making friends, I make a friend about every 10 years and most people consider me a hermit, even my friends.

OAP: How did it go today? May all your doctors and nurses be caring to you. Back in '97, I have a few surgeries. Hard to be stuck in "medical world," with all the doctor appointments, tests and recovery time. Please let us know how you are doing....

Ginger,
My pre-op testing was over at 11:40. I was called back and given a CT scan for "new" abnormalities seen on the x-rays. Just got home. As bad as I feel, I saw a lot of very young people in there getting ready for surgery.

Ack. Get better soon! What's the first thing you are going to do once this is over? Golf? Fish? Margarita? Another Margarita? :)

Laurence,
I try to image when this will actually be over and I cannot. But if it does give me time, I plan to travel to all the interesting places that I put off, waiting for retirement.

But for now, yeah, a margarita or two would do fine :D.

OldAgePensioner said:
Unfortunately with making friends, I make a friend about every 10 years and most people consider me a hermit, even my friends.

I emphatize with you OAP, being single and somewhat reclusive, I would in a similar position if I needed to go into a hospital. I thank the gods that I have remain healthy so far. Like you, I have made few "friends" over the last 30 years.

Once again, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

MJ :)

MJ,
There must be a niche market for "Health Care for Hermits". If I could find a Post-Operative Care Hospice, I would arrange to go there for a few days.

I haven't actually asked the hospital what they offer. I'm kinda in the "dt it over with" mode mentally.

I may get my own genuine morphine injector, that would be cool.

OldAgePensioner said:
Laurence,
I try to image when this will actually be over and I cannot.  But if it does give me time, I plan to travel to all the interesting places that I put off, waiting for retirement.

But for now, yeah, a margarita or two would do fine  :D.

OAP, I don't know if you have seen this before: http://vagabonders-supreme.net/ It is the blog/website of a full tome RVer who survived some sort of serious cancer and decided that not only would he spend his time travelling, he needed a new outlook on life. I very much admire his ability to change his fundamental view of and reactions to the world.

Just food for thought. Hope things go OK and you have a speedy recovery.

brewer,
that is an interesting story and his life is enviable, thanks. I'm hoping the doctors here can give me an accurate assessment of my prognosis. So far, it's "we really can't be sure" on everything.

I move out of Chicago on April 30 with hopefully all of my initial operations complete and healed. What road I take out of here may not be all my choice. But I will be changed.

LL, thanks for the PM.

I got a call yesterday, and my surgery was postponed till 18-Jan. I was told the anesthesiologist/anesthestist considered a "spot" in my left lung concerned them.

A CT scan showed "no mass" associated with the spot. I'm up to bat next week.

I'll be about 1/2 lb lighter and hopefully, a better person on 19-Jan.
Thanks,
T

OAP

Hopefully the waiting will be the worst of it.

It must be making you crazy.

Keep your chin up.

I was set to go. All prepared, burr haircut, clean shave, new boxers, new socks, PJs, and fuzzy slippers. :D

Hello OAP:

Was especially thinking about you today (Thursday) the day of your planned surgery, and I just had to check in for updates. Was hoping it was all behind you - now I see it's postponed till January 18. I'll be thinking about you the whole week. Take care, and keep us posted.

Sincerely,

Toejam

Toejam,
Thanks. After next Wednesday, I will be in hospital for 4 days at least so I should be home and posting about 23-Jan and will definitely give an update. And maybe whine a bit. :D

From my livingroom, I can actually see the hospital windows where I will be operated on. 5th floor of the Galter Pavillion at 201 E. Huron St.

OAP, if you are feeling up to it, I would go do something fun this weekend. Hell, see if you can get a cheap last minute resort deal...

Could you give us young folks words of wisdom? It would be nice to hear some random open-ended advice, stories, etc.

Just thought I would ask since it has obviously been a time of reflection for ya.

:)

brewer12345 said:
OAP, if you are feeling up to it, I would go do something fun this weekend.  Hell, see if you can find get a cheap house of ill repute last minute resort deal...

Good luck, OAP!!

OAP,

Sorry to hear that your surgery was postponed. Waiting can definitely be hard. I hope that once you get the surgery behind you, your health improves greatly! I second that you should try to do something fun this weekend to get your mind off of your surgery and to make the time pass by more quickly.

I hope that you have many many years of traveling and seeing new places ahead of you. I love traveling myself!

I truly wish that I lived closer to you, so that I could help you with errands and cooking. I am the first to admit that I am not that great of a housekeeper and I would never ever make a good nurse!

Best of luck with everything and definitely keep us posted when you are able. I will keep you in my prayers.

Dreamer

Back
Top Bottom