Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Surrogate Next of Kin
Old 01-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

LL, thanks for the PM.

I got a call yesterday, and my surgery was postponed till 18-Jan. I was told the anesthesiologist/anesthestist considered a "spot" in my left lung concerned them.

A CT scan showed "no mass" associated with the spot. I'm up to bat next week.

I'll be about 1/2 lb lighter and hopefully, a better person on 19-Jan.
Thanks,
T

OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #42

OAP

Hopefully the waiting will be the worst of it.

It must be making you crazy.

Keep your chin up.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #43

I was set to go. All prepared, burr haircut, clean shave, new boxers, new socks, PJs, and fuzzy slippers.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #44

Well I guess you have a week to show off your new outfit.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello OAP:

Was especially thinking about you today (Thursday) the day of your planned surgery, and I just had to check in for updates. Was hoping it was all behind you - now I see it's postponed till January 18. I'll be thinking about you the whole week. Take care, and keep us posted.

Sincerely,

Toejam
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:56 AM   #46

Toejam,
Thanks. After next Wednesday, I will be in hospital for 4 days at least so I should be home and posting about 23-Jan and will definitely give an update. And maybe whine a bit.

From my livingroom, I can actually see the hospital windows where I will be operated on. 5th floor of the Galter Pavillion at 201 E. Huron St.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:13 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OAP, if you are feeling up to it, I would go do something fun this weekend. Hell, see if you can get a cheap last minute resort deal...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:42 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Could you give us young folks words of wisdom? It would be nice to hear some random open-ended advice, stories, etc.

Just thought I would ask since it has obviously been a time of reflection for ya.

TomSimpsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
OAP, if you are feeling up to it, I would go do something fun this weekend.* Hell, see if you can find get a cheap house of ill repute last minute resort deal...
Good luck, OAP!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #50

OAP,

Sorry to hear that your surgery was postponed. Waiting can definitely be hard. I hope that once you get the surgery behind you, your health improves greatly! I second that you should try to do something fun this weekend to get your mind off of your surgery and to make the time pass by more quickly.

I hope that you have many many years of traveling and seeing new places ahead of you. I love traveling myself!

I truly wish that I lived closer to you, so that I could help you with errands and cooking. I am the first to admit that I am not that great of a housekeeper and I would never ever make a good nurse!

Best of luck with everything and definitely keep us posted when you are able. I will keep you in my prayers.

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #51

Brewer,
Cold, rainy, foggy here, so your advice sounds mighty tempting.

Tom,
If you don't mind, I'll use your request to relieve some pent-up stress but I'll send it to your PM box cause it's pretty rambling and boring. It's basically my life story including the details of the last few months. If you say don't PM me I can easily understand why

Dreamer,
Thanks for the kind thoughts and prayers, the Bears are playing this weekend so I will be watching that. Meantime, I have packed lots of things and am shipping them to a friend. Things like boxed VCR sets of Twilight Zone, The Fugitive, The Untouchables, World at War, all the old horror movies like the Zombie, Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I leave Chicago on April 29 (my birthday) so I want to be lean and mean. Not sure where I'm going yet but I'll be traveling light (in more ways than one).
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds good to me, I bet others would welcome it too
TomSimpsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSimpsonAZ
Sounds good to me, I bet others would welcome it too
Yeah, we need something to read while we are supposed to be working.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #54

Sheryl,
I suspect insomnia would set in and the boss would catch you sound asleep.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #55

I'd be interested in reading your "reflections" too. It'll put my Monday morning "back-to-work" blues in perspective maybe.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Since you live alone you should take a look at skilled nursing facilities as a place to recover.* I know, many people call them "nursing homes", but this won't be your home.. it will be a place where PTs and RNs capable of monitoring catheters and IV's are available.* Today hospitals discharge much too soon IMHO.* You may end up at a skilled nursing facility selected by a social worker, not what you would have selected if you were able.* [This happened when my Dad had surgery and we were completely un-prepared.* I vowed never to have that happen again.]

Build a list from this Medicare resource:* http://tinyurl.com/akhyj

Then go visit, talk to their admissions person, walk slowly through the Medicare secition where you might be admitted, and rank them.* If you need that level of care where you go will depend on bed availability and whether or not the facility thinks they can meet your needs (the good ones don't accept too many high care need patients at one time), but the discharge planner will work hard to select from your preferances.

I sincerely hope a visiting nurse is all that you will need.* With that in mind prepare a bunch of your favorite meals in advance and freeze them (or take the favorite batchelor short cut - hit the frozen food section of the grocery).* Another option is to contact your local 'meals on wheels' to see what can do for you.

Thinking good thoughts for a fast recovery...

Old 01-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #57

Justin,
Not much in the way of reflections but I left home at 15 and seldom, if ever, did I bother to tell my mom or siblings where I lived. I went from one phase of life to the next and left everyone in the previous phase behind. I've kept my health problems away from almost all family, and friends. Only my oldest brother and 2 close friends know. Even they have no idea that I will be on my own. I just find it difficult to burden them because they have families to support.

Brat,
I chose the frozen food section approach. I usually eat fresh vegetables, fresh salmon or swordfish, but a week's worth of Angelina's Macaroni and Cheese will suffice. Thanks for the link and thoughts.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:26 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
I've kept my health problems away from almost all family, and friends. Only my oldest brother and 2 close friends know. Even they have no idea that I will be on my own. I just find it difficult to burden them because they have families to support.
OAP, you are a braver man than I would be in your circumstances. I probably would be a bit more selfish and burden my few dear friends. I figure, they would have the same liberties to burden me.

Again, have a speeding recovery.

MJ

PS: Even thought is a super longshot (so is the lottery but someone eventually wins), since your sugery was delayed, maybe you'll get a call from the doctor telling you don't need the surgery after all.
Can't hurt to have that thought in mind.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:23 PM   #59

Best of luck OAP, and we'll hope for a speedy recovery.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote