Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #181
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Doesn't the president of Toyota have to kill himself now for shaming his family and his country? Think he'll do it during his testimony in the States?
__________________

__________________

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Doesn't the president of Toyota have to kill himself now for shaming his family and his country? Think he'll do it during his testimony in the States?
Tip: Do NOT show up in a corporate jet.
__________________

__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,555
I heard today that the Toyota 2009-2010 Venza is now on the list of recalled vehicles. I believe that is the car that W2R just bought. You need to go to Toyota's site and put your VIN in to see if your vehicle is recalled. Hopefully, W2R's car is not recalled because she has the special floor mats. Anyway, be safe W2R and all other Toyota car drivers.
__________________
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #184
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
Thanks! I went to the Toyota website, and typed in my VIN number, and it gave me the same information as before - - I am still in the clear. The only recall is for the floor mats, and my floor mats were installed by my dealer as an aftermarket extra. They are completely immovable.

I am SO ENJOYING my new car!! I simply cannot believe the level of luxury and technology in comparison with my old Solara, and I wish I had bought the Venza even earlier. The Smartkey is wonderful - - no more fumbling for keys with my hands full. I love driving it - - so much zip and a smooth running engine, and no rattles or noise at all. We drove up to Cabela's in Gonzales last weekend (maybe 100 miles round trip) and what a comfortable ride with the ranged climate control. Even the passenger seat has adjustable lumbar support (not true for Frank's Murano, and very nice).

The dual moonroofs are so nice and the Sirius radio is a lot of fun. The rear hatch opens and closes remotely (very handy at times), and it has plenty of cargo space. I even love stoplights these days, because I can discover and play with all the new technology while I am waiting. It will take 100 years for me to learn all the ins and outs of the non-essential but fun technology. This car makes me feel like the Queen of England with all the luxury in comparison with my Solara (Ok, maybe it doesn't take much to impress me! ). I didn't think I would want or care about the luxury aspect but I love it and wish I had not put off buying it for so long!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #185
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Doesn't the president of Toyota have to kill himself now for shaming his family and his country? Think he'll do it during his testimony in the States?
Isn't the termed called "hara-kari"?

Seriously, that thought crossed my mind too. Not during the testimony but say if Toyota really takes a big hit in the future. Who knows
__________________
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #186
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This car makes me feel like the Queen of England with all the luxury in comparison with my Solara (Ok, maybe it doesn't take much to impress me! ). I didn't think I would want or care about the luxury aspect but I love it and wish I had not put off buying it for so long!
For me my Solara was the most luxurius car I ever owned . I did not have a car with air conditioning until I was almost 40 . I consider it luxury if the car is an automatic and has an AM/FM radio and starts easily .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #187
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
For me my Solara was the most luxurius car I ever owned . I did not have a car with air conditioning until I was almost 40 . I consider it luxury if the car is an automatic and has an AM/FM radio .
Yeah, that was about all my Solara had, too! I was really amazed to see how much cars have improved since 2000, when I bought it.

I thought about my post after I posted it - - didn't mean to crow and I hope you didn't take it that way. But really, getting my new Venza has been a lot more fun than I thought it would be.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yeah, that was about all my Solara had, too! I was really amazed to see how much cars have improved since 2000, when I bought it.

I thought about my post after I posted it - - didn't mean to crow and I hope you didn't take it that way. But really, getting my new Venza has been a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

No, I'm not offended . I enjoy listening to your non -stop Toyota Venza discussions . They must be one great car ! I love my Solara which was fully loaded when I bought it . It's been the best most reliable car I've owned . It's like a member of the family and I hate to offend it by just carelessly tossing it aside for someone new .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #189
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No, I'm not offended . I enjoy listening to your non -stop Toyota Venza discussions .
Thanks for your gracious response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
They must be one great car ! I love my Solara which was fully loaded when I bought it . It's been the best most reliable car I've owned . It's like a member of the family and I hate to offend it by just carelessly tossing it aside for someone new .
After the Solara was discontinued, I put in a lot of time and effort in figuring out what I would want for my next car and doing the research on it. For me, the Venza was the "winner" and I enjoy it a lot. But it may not be the car for you. If/when you do decide to get a new car, I am sure the test drives will tell you a lot.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #190
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I am SO ENJOYING my new car!! I simply cannot believe the level of luxury and technology in comparison with my old Solara, and I wish I had bought the Venza even earlier. The Smartkey is wonderful - - no more fumbling for keys with my hands full. I love driving it - - so much zip and a smooth running engine, and no rattles or noise at all. We drove up to Cabela's in Gonzales last weekend (maybe 100 miles round trip) and what a comfortable ride with the ranged climate control. Even the passenger seat has adjustable lumbar support (not true for Frank's Murano, and very nice).

The dual moonroofs are so nice and the Sirius radio is a lot of fun. The rear hatch opens and closes remotely (very handy at times), and it has plenty of cargo space.
I am impressed with the level of luxury and technology. I have never had a car that has had any of those features. I have never even had heated seats. I am glad that you are enjoying it so much.
__________________
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #191
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I am impressed with the level of luxury and technology. I have never had a car that has had any of those features. I have never even had heated seats. I am glad that you are enjoying it so much.
That reminds me, I'll need to try turning on the heated seats at least once before summer arrives!! Yes, I am really having so much fun with it.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #192
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I did not have a car with air conditioning until I was almost 40.
I remember the cars we had in the 70s. Man, the A/Cs in our cars back then were a joke compared to current car ACs. New car ACs will freeze your buns. And the A/C back then was an option, same as FM radios (only the AM radio was standard). Do they even offer cars without A/C these days?

Anyway, I am impressed that you did not have A/C in cars until 40. Surely, you were not living in Florida then. Being here in the Southwest with its "dry heat", I would not live much longer past 40 if I did not have A/C in my car. It was different when I was younger. Well, I was younger then, you know?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #193
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anyway, I am impressed that you did not have A/C in cars until 40. Surely, you were not living in Florida then. Being here in the Southwest with its "dry heat", I would not live much longer past 40 if I did not have A/C in my car. It was different when I was younger. Well, I was younger then, you know?

I was living in new Jersey at the time and driving a Ford Escort (no Ac, Am radio and roll down windows ). I then bought a nissan station wagon with air that was a nice car but I'm not the station wagon type so I traded it for a GEO Storm. I am pretty thrifty and not a car person so luxury in a car is nice but it's not my thing . I guess I fit "The Millionaire next door " profile to a T .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #194
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I am impressed with the level of luxury and technology. I have never had a car that has had any of those features. I have never even had heated seats. I am glad that you are enjoying it so much.

Since they have heated seats why don't they invent cooling seats for the south ?
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #195
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Since they have heated seats why don't they invent cooling seats for the south ?
What cars have heated and cooled leather seats? - Ask.cars.com
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #196
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I guess I fit "The Millionaire next door " profile to a T .
I have not read that book, only heard about it.

So, the "Millionaire next door" is allowed to indulge in luxurious housing, but not transportation?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #197
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have not read that book, only heard about it.

So, the "Millionaire next door" is allowed to indulge in luxurious housing, but not transportation?

Yes, because their is a chance you may actually make money on housing !
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 PM   #198
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,032
If I wasn't so cheap . This would be my car ! I just love the look of it . Since it has cooled seats do you think it could be a medical deduction for menopause ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1012035209.jpg (45.6 KB, 0 views)
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #199
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,914
Here is what I think is up with the FBI raid: they are looking for documents that disclose a cover-up. Recently I read that a US Toyota Corporate counsel left the firm because requested pertinant requested records were withheld during litigation. If an attorney became aware of that fact and did not advise the court he could loose his licence.

The last shoe has not dropped on these safety issues.
__________________
Brat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #200
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Yes, because their is a chance you may actually make money on housing !
Sure, that makes sense.

Now, since one never expects to make money on an RV, it would be more like transportation, although it is also dwelling. Yes?

As my wife, the "Great Frugal One" whom I have been dragging to RV dealers, does not want to splurge on a new RV, not even a modest Sprinter class C, I am limiting myself to looking at used gasoline class Cs. I want nice, nice for low $, hence have not taken the plunge. But I still have time to shop as we do not know when we can travel. Shopping can be a lot of fun as one examines all possibilities. The moment one writes a check, heck he is STUCK!

So, back on the "millionaire next door" club, my action would be met with head nodding approvals, yes?

But, but, but, when does our millionaire realize that she may, just might, have a bit too much to take with her, and have to unload some? When is that moment, pray tell, that one can splurge and throw caution to the wind? Not on the death bed, as that would be of course too late.

Oh, please speak up, oh old wise ones in this forum...
__________________

__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wash Sales ?? FUEGO FIRE and Money 6 01-31-2008 11:25 PM
Anyone take advantage of the Thanksgiving sales? laurence Other topics 12 11-28-2005 10:34 PM
Home sales Brat Other topics 4 10-07-2005 06:21 PM
New National Sales Tax Skylark FIRE and Money 47 11-08-2004 07:18 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.