Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah!!! I found out that my 2010 Camry is not affected by the sticky gas pedal or floor mat recalls! After crawling under the dashboard, I discovered that I had bought one of the few North American-made Camrys equipped with a Japanese-made gas pedal and the floor mats had already been swapped out before I bought the car.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
When I was shopping for a new car last month, my two top picks were the Toyota Camry and the Hyundai Sonota. The Hyundai offered a very compelling alternative to the Camry but, in the end, I can honestly say that Toyota won my business because of their stellar reputation. With the current debacle, however, I think Toyota should be very, very worried about Hyundai. I am not crazy about the look of the 2011 Sonata though...
Interesting, I LOVE the look of the 2011 Hyundai. I think we may be on the brink of some good car designs again.........

The new Taurus isn't bad looking at all

The new La Crosse is sweet

I LOVE the Hyundai Genesis sedan

The 2011 Sonata is compelling, but might be too small for me. I am looking to get a litle bigger car when I replace the Accord

One of my clients is selling his 2005 M35X next year when he moves to Florida. Apparently, he thinks his S class Mercedes is good enough to use as a "daily driver" for he and his wife...........I have first dibs if I want the vehicle, crrently with 27,000 miles on it..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #163
Moderator Emeritus

From this morning's Chicago Tribune: Toyota owners wonder what comes next as car values drop - chicagotribune.com

re Kelley Blue Book values of used Toyotas dropping, even cars not included in the recall (although one lawyer quoted says the recall includes only 43 percent of the cars with complaints). Sounds like lots of lawyers queuing up to sue.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yeah!!! I found out that my 2010 Camry is not affected by the sticky gas pedal or floor mat recalls! After crawling under the dashboard, I discovered that I had bought one of the few North American-made Camrys equipped with a Japanese-made gas pedal and the floor mats had already been swapped out before I bought the car.
Glad to hear it! My Venza has aftermarket mats that were installed by the distributor, and that cost me a few hundred extra. They seem completely bonded to the floor and won't budge. But I don't know anything about the gas pedal.

My Solara was sitting in my driveway during Hurricane Katrina, and for years that drastically lowered its potential resale value. It was even listed as being in a flooded area by Carfax, in a list that was free to the general public. Had I tried to sell it in 2006, I would have got little to nothing for it according to the news media. But by the time I traded it in, nearly five years after the hurricane, I got a reasonable KBB price for it. That is only right, because it may have been in a flooded location but it was never flooded.

I expect the same will be true with my Venza. By the time I am ready to sell it, the recalls will simply be legends told by grandfathers to their grandchildren!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

I am not concerned about falling residual values (I paid cash, so no risk of being upside down). I intend to keep my Camry until the wheels fall off. That's what we've done will all our cars.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am not concerned about falling residual values (I paid cash, so no risk of being upside down). I intend to keep my Camry until the wheels fall off.
Same here with all our cars so far (which aren't but could have been Toyotas--always thought they were and are great cars).

I remember the gas shortages in the 70s when the "rice burners" started taking over the market and how cheaply made they were back then. The Hyundais and Kias may be poised to take over the Japanese market today--wonder what's on the horizon that will take over the Korean market in another generation. Perhaps this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jetsons-car.jpg (16.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Oh yeah, the flaming electrical panels.

I bet that is what I had on my house... the inspector recommended that it be replaced and that was a requirement I had before we bought... glad to hear we got good advice...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Same here with all our cars so far (which aren't but could have been Toyotas--always thought they were and are great cars).

I remember the gas shortages in the 70s when the "rice burners" started taking over the market and how cheaply made they were back then. The Hyundais and Kias may be poised to take over the Japanese market today--wonder what's on the horizon that will take over the Korean market in another generation. Perhaps this one:
In a generation, the Chinese might be eating the Koreans' lunch, who knows...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #169
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I intend to keep my Camry until the wheels fall off.
I hope you're not predicting the next recall?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #170
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd love to see the American automakers regain their former glory. They are producing some awesome new vehicles which may help them do so. Though I know Japanese and Korean vehicles are typically reliable, I will ALWAYS buy American if I can.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I hope you're not predicting the next recall?
I would not be surprised if I did. I am starting to wonder if I don't jinx the brand of whatever new vehicle I buy. I bought a new VW in 2001 based on their "German Engineering" reputation and personal satisfaction with older (used) VW models I had owned in the past. Soon after, customer complaints about poor quality and reliability started to show up all over the web (Today VW has one of the highest complaint rate in the industry). Then I swear off VW and I buy a new Camry in January 2010 based on their stellar reputation and not a month later they stop production and recall millions of car for defects... Hum.

So, if you are a car manufacturer out there, I will be delighted to help you take down your competition for a small fee...
I knew it!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

I knew it!

Beware the political factor with Toyota's stock - The Globe and Mail

Toyota's problems aren't as bad as J&J's were 27 years ago. But there's a twist: The company is being hounded by a government with an incentive to damage Toyota's brand.

Washington has invested $80-billion in GM and Chrysler. It owns almost two-thirds of the former. The administration would like nothing better than to see GM's and Chrysler's (and Ford's for that matter) market share and sales rise. First, it would create well-paying jobs. Second, the administration could brag about what a shrewd move the investments were financially. Toyota's problems are a gift from above for the politicians and the Detroit Three, and it's in their interests to milk it, which they have done and will continue to do.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Toyota's problems aren't as bad as J&J's were 27 years ago.
?

I don't see any comparison between the Tylenol murders and the Toyota quality problems/response at all.

Someone slipped poison into Tylenol capsules. J&J had nothing to do with it - they were a victim, and they were generally praised for how they handled and responded to any perceived association between their product name and some serial killer who chose to use their product as a vehicle for his poison. Oh, 'vehicle' - maybe that's the link?

Chicago Tylenol murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of our family lived on the same street as one of the victims. It was pretty scary that people were dropping dead, and for a while no one knew why. The super-sad part of this was that some of the family went back to the house after the funeral of the first victim, took the same Tylenol for their headaches, and then they died.

Toyota can't blame anyone but themselves for this - entirely different story.

I agree that the political implications bring the question of conflict of interest into this. Just one reason the govt should keep their nose out of it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #174
Gone but not forgotten

Today I got a letter from the local Toyota dealer and they sent me a coupon for a free oil change and an offer for up to an additional $4500 added to the blue book value of your trade in plus a $1,000 Toyota loyalty bonus . Should I be tempted ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I got a letter from the local Toyota dealer and they sent me a coupon for a free oil change and an offer for up to an additional $4500 added to the blue book value of your trade in plus a $1,000 Toyota loyalty bonus . Should I be tempted ?
A LOT depends on what "book" they are using for those "blue book" numbers...........

Also, the "up to", DEFINITELY needs clarification..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #176
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
A LOT depends on what "book" they are using for those "blue book" numbers...........

Also, the "up to", DEFINITELY needs clarification..........

They said the Kelley Blue Book but I'm going to check it out . I'm still a little leery of buying a Toyota right now . Heck , I'm leery of buying any car right now !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

With the news now of a class action lawsuits and a possible cover up, one wonders how far Toytoa as a company will fall.

Drive On: Cars, Trucks, and Daily Life - USATODAY.com

Unlike Tylenol (who was a victim as a company), Once the public sees cover up, that can mean a whole different thing.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #178
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are refering to the memo/paper pointing out that avoiding a recall a couple of years ago as a financial plus, that is hardly indicative of a cover up.
If the NHTSA was bribed by Toyota to not do their job, sure, string em up. If they played by the rules, but we aren't happy with the amount of influence they were able to leverage, update the rules.
But I have yet to see anything indicating a cover up.
And yes, this is different than the Tylenol issue for the above reasons.
I just don't see toyota being destroyed by this. Sure, they have been and will be hurt, but not nearly as much as some seem to think.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Should I be tempted ?
You should drive into the dealership as fast as possible. On second thought...
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #180
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You should drive into the dealership as fast as possible. On second thought...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote