SW Florida 2019 E-R.org get-together

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
:greetings10: Its time to plan our 3rd annual SW Florida E-R.org get together! :greetings10:

We had a great time last year with 14 attendees, details here: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sw-florida-get-together-2018-version-91068.html

WHO'S INVITED: ERs, OMYs, "Still workings", Spouses/SOs, (and redduck if he has managed to get rid of his ankle tether and stay out of further trouble.)

WHERE: TBD Somewhere in SW FL. Previously, we've had attendees from south (Bonita Springs) to north (Tampa) and north central (Ocala). We met in Punta Gorda (2017) and Venice (2018), which worked well.

WHEN: TBD Hopefully, we can find a mutually available day for those who wish to attend while we still have our snow birds in Florida. Due to guests and other plans, my schedule is open Feb 23-28 and March 7-14.

We'll likely be meeting for a late lunch to allow attendees travel time and chat time.

PLEASE REPLY IN A POST:

• If you (and if a +1) are interested in attending

• Where you are located

• Dates you are available (And if weekdays and/or weekends are OK)

• Suggestions for a meeting geographic location, taking into account that we will likely have some attendees driving 75-80 miles one way. (We'll decide on a restaurant after we choose a locale.)
Let's get this party started! :dance:

omni

Last edited:
I’m a “still working” with a SO and a few small kids but I’m in. 4-6 weeks in advance so I can make work arrangements.

I have a conflict the afternoon of Sunday, Feb 24... could move my conflict if the group settles on that date... otherwise open.

There is a neat place that I could recommend... Oak & Stone... near to I-75 in Sarasota off of University Parkway... mostly pizza and pub food.

What is unique is that they have a tap wall with ~50 different beers and ciders on tap... when you check in you give them your id and credit card and they give you a bracelet... then you take your glass to the tap area, select your beverage, scan the bracelet and pour yourself what you want... they charge by the ounce. It isn't cheap but it isn't outrageous and it is different. Beer-man may like the place.

https://www.oakandstone.com/brews-on-tap

Last edited:
DW and I attended last year and had a great time. Since we drove from Ocala, we stayed a couple of days and explored new territory. We’ll likely repeat this scenario this year. Our schedule is open and we should be able to attend whichever date is selected. We are happy to let those who know the area pick a site.

Thanks @omni550 for initiating again.
My DGF and I attended last year and had a great time.
We are both available again this year at all the time frames mentioned.
Open to location and place.

I am interested, driving from Ft. Myers. All of the above dates work for me.

WHEN: TBD Hopefully, we can find a mutually available day for those who wish to attend while we still have our snow birds in Florida. Due to guests and other plans, my schedule is open Feb 23-28 and March 7-14.

We'll likely be meeting for a late lunch to allow attendees travel time and chat time.

PLEASE REPLY IN A POST:

• Where you are located

• Suggestions for a meeting geographic location, taking into account that we will likely have some attendees driving 75-80 miles one way. (We'll decide on a restaurant after we choose a locale.)
Let's get this party started! :dance:

omni

I'm super excited we are doing this again - it was so much fun the last 2 years!

1. RSVP for myself + hubby
2. located in Sarasota
3. Still only available weekends as DH has not retired yet. We are available Feb 23 & 24 and Mar 9 & 10.
4. We are flexible as to location.

PLEASE REPLY IN A POST:

We will be on vacation in Fl around then in Ft Myers for some spring training games.
  • Where you are located
We live in Northern Va and will be visiting Ft Myers.
Anytime around lunch time or so is fine with us. We have games on these days so they are out:
2/23 - Yankees
2/28 - Nationals
3/2 - Baltimore
3/6 - Pirates

The days when we will be there are from Feb 20th to 3/6

We probably would drive a long way to attend. I think the only two preferences that we'd have are:
No Smoking and a quiet place. By quiet I mean no really loud conversation overwhelming noise.

omni

I think I screwed up the editing of the quote...

Mike D.

The March date range works for me at the moment, but that's deep into visitor month where everyone from the northern tundra decides it's time to go visit people with property in Florida. I'll participate if I can, but don't alter what works for others on my account.

<drum roll> Mark Feb 24 on your calendars

OK, gang.

We have a winnah!...:dance:

We have 14 interested in attending so far.

Sun. Feb. 24 seems to work for most folks. Please note on your calendars.

Details are still being worked out as to time and location: most likely around 1:30pm (late lunch allows more chat time, as no one will be waiting for our tables). And we'll likely be meeting somewhere near the "Sarasota-ish area" where there's space to accommodate us in a place that is quiet enough for us to talk.

Stay tuned for further updates.

omni

Excellent. Thanks so much omni550.

I plan to be in the area for February so would like to attend on he 24th.

OK, gang.

We have a winnah!...:dance:

We have 14 interested in attending so far.

Sun. Feb. 24 seems to work for most folks. Please note on your calendars.

Details are still being worked out as to time and location: most likely around 1:30pm (late lunch allows more chat time, as no one will be waiting for our tables). And we'll likely be meeting somewhere near the "Sarasota-ish area" where there's space to accommodate us in a place that is quiet enough for us to talk.

Stay tuned for further updates.

omni

Yay!!!! I'm so excited! Looking forward to seeing everyone again - this has been a blast every year. Thank you so much for organizing again!

Let me know if you need any help/feedback on places, as I am a local Sarasotan. :D

Yay! We've had a lot of interest...looks like we've got about 17 attending.

There's a lot of interest in meeting in a quieter place where we can chat.

Plus, as our numbers are growing, I'm thinking that a private room would be nice, so we can mix and mingle before and after lunch.

There's a possibility to get a private room in a casual dining restaurant near Sarasota. (It is owned by the same Gecko's outfit that owns the place where we met last year). The room has a variety of seating options, plus a full-sized bar with 10 bar stools.

I have a question for the group:

Are you willing to pay for a private room? The cost is $60/2 hrs. or $75/3 hrs. (to cover setup, cleaning, staffing). Depending on the final attendee headcount, this works out to around $4-5/ per person. NOTE: This is in addition to your food & beverage tab plus 18% tip.

(BTW, there's also a $200 minimum for the total food and beverage tab, which I do not foresee as an issue, based on our previous events, as everyone ordered a meal and a beverage or two.)

omni

Last edited:
Yay! We've had a lot of interest...looks like about 17 are planning on attending, at the moment.

There's a lot of an interest in a quieter place where we can chat.

Plus, as our numbers are growing, I'm thinking that a private room would be nice, so we can mix and mingle before and after lunch.

There's a possibility to get a private room in a casual dining restaurant near Sarasota. (It is owned by the same Gecko's outfit that owns the place where we met last year).

I have a question for the group:

Are you willing to pay for a private room? The cost is $60/2 hrs. or $75/3 hrs. (to cover setup, cleaning, staffing). Depending on the final attendee headcount, this works out to around $4-5/ per person. NOTE: This is in addition to your food & beverage tab plus 18% tip.

omni

2 comments
1) Extra cost fine by me.
2) My DGF now has something that just came up today and will not be able to attend. Sorry for the late change in decision. I am still going.

Is this still on for Sunday, February 24? I am interested if so. I'm outside of Orlando and fine on the extra cost for a private room.

Has a specific restaurant been determined yet?

It is still on. I am fine with the extra cost for a private room. So far we've heard from four members (including myself and omni) who are fine with the cost for a private room.

Last I heard we had around 17-18 people. Is there anyone opposed to the cost of a private room? We need more feedback to make a decision.

I am helping with the reservation, and I'm concerned if we wait much longer to decide I may not be able to secure the room, if that is what people want.

If not, we have other options.

The restaurant is a Gecko's up on Fruitville near I-75. Here are pics of the private room.

Attachments

• Lounge Picture.jpg
    Lounge Picture.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Lounge Picture 2.jpg
    Lounge Picture 2.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 32
Hi,
Early on I thought we'd like to do this but our plans have changed and we can no longer attend.

Just thought I'd let you know.

Mike D.

Is this still on for Sunday, February 24? I am interested if so. I'm outside of Orlando and fine on the extra cost for a private room.

Has a specific restaurant been determined yet?

Yes, we are still on for Feb. 24th. Glad you can join us. :greetings10: The more, the merrier.

No decision yet as to specific restaurant, likely near Sarasota. Simple girl (see her post above) and I are trying to ascertain interest in a private (quiet) room for a few more $/person.

As expected with an off-in-the-future date, we are getting a few adds and cancellations. Currently we are at 14 attendees.

Stay tuned.

omni

Yes, we are still on for Feb. 24th. Glad you can join us. :greetings10: The more, the merrier.

No decision yet as to specific restaurant, likely near Sarasota. Simple girl (see her post above) and I are trying to ascertain interest in a private (quiet) room for a few more $/person.

As expected with an off-in-the-future date, we are getting a few adds and cancellations. Currently we are at 14 attendees.

Stay tuned.

omni
I am fine with the cost for a private room.

Back
Top Bottom