Join Early Retirement Today
Swiss IRA's / Swiss Annuities
Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Swiss IRA's / Swiss Annuities

Swiss IRA's & Swiss Annuities

So, should I decide the sky is falling & to don my tin-foil-hat for good - what are these?

If one's faith was shaky in the good ole US dollar, seems to make sense (in concept) to move ones already very conservatively invested retirement $ to Swiss francs, no?

What are these things? Is this something that's do-able, advisable?

Retired 2009!
Texarkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Betting on currency fluctuations is much riskier then the stock market and with the current weakness of the US dollar you would be selling low and buying high.

DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
So you want to convert some $ into S. Fr.:

Why not use a S. Fr. CD? They are available at Everbank. BUT: you need to invest $10K min. and they currently pay less than 1% APY for a 12-month CD. Also, unlike US CDs that offer 100% principal safety, foreign currency CDs carry an important risk: Currency Exchange risk. Are you willing to take that risk and do you understand it? The S. Fr. has already appreciated 80% against the $ in the past 7 years, so are you sure this trend will continue in the foreseeable future? Because a brutal trend reversal could lose you a bundle.

I have a good chunk of cash invested in Europe but: 1) I am earning a 4% guaranteed APY on that money (and have been since 1997). 2) This stash was built slowly in 1997-2003 when the dollar was still relatively strong. 3) I don't currently add any money to the stash because I believe that we are close to a $ bottom. I travel to Europe a lot and based on purchasing power parity I am convinced that the dollar is way undervalued.

As far as Swiss IRAs are concerned I had to google them to find out what they were. I had heard of Swiss Annuities before but I would very much hesitate to buy one right now based on what I wrote above.
42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
If I invest in Swiss francs, will it improve my chances with Miss Switzerland?
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
If I invest in Swiss francs, will it improve my chances with Miss Switzerland?

Might, depending on how much you invest.
haha is offline   Reply With Quote