T Minus X Days

freebird5825

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Second try at starting a new thread...:(

You have 8 days and counting...nagnagnag :LOL:

Ok, folks, fess up! :hide:
Taxes done? Refund or paying ? Refund in hand? Saved or spent?
Happy or ranting?

I'll go first...
Done x 2.
Paid less than $50 more to fed, nothing to state.
N/A
N/A
Happy! :dance:

I'm done and the check is sent . I figured I would have to pay this year but it was not as bad as I thought . I missed a golden opportunity to bring down my capital gains but I'll watch it closer next year .Last year was my first total year of full retirement ( pension , SS survivor benefit and capital gains ) so I was not sure how much to pay in quarterlies .

Done the fed tax last month. Sent PA my taxes due yesterday. Close enough.

Federal and State tax returns sent out on March 10.

I am getting a refund from both Fed&State this year due to tax loss harvesting and a bonus which was mistakenly overtaxed by payroll last year.

Fed refund: $2,800 (received it 2 weeks ago)
State refund: $1,550. State is broke and it might take until July 15 before I get my money back :mad:. After that they have to start paying me interests though.

Both refunds will be used to buy shares of VWITX.

Did the fed tax a month or two ago. Tax=0 and got a refund of $338. The refund was deposited in our checking account, but we received no notification of that -- is that normal?

Did the state back then, but didn't send it until this week. Had to pay $440.

Haven't filed yet, writing a check for between 5 and 6k. May send a check and file an extension. Getting a refund from GA, will probably file that one, However got a letter from GA's compliance department wanting copies of returns from 2003,2004 and 2005. While I owe them no taxes, as my wife and I were both on Active Duty and were not residents of GA, I feel like I have an extra set of eyes watching over me as I do my return.

Jim

Haven't filed yet, writing a check for between 5 and 6k. May send a check and file an extension. Getting a refund from GA, will probably file that one, However got a letter from GA's compliance department wanting copies of returns from 2003,2004 and 2005. While I owe them no taxes, as my wife and I were both on Active Duty and were not residents of GA, I feel like I have an extra set of eyes watching over me as I do my return.

Jim
Oh joy. :(
I went through this last year in regard to my 2005 taxes. It was my mistake, but the pain of dealing with them was indescribable. My brain was foggy due to grief at the time I filed the returns, and I under-reported about $500 in capital gains. I tried to get them to waive about $100 in penalties, but no dice. Oh well.
I read an article a few weeks back about my state devoting some serious labor hours to find every single taxpayer they could who might be in "non-compliance". :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if your letter is a part of GA's similar program...:nonono:
Best of luck with that.

Despite 0 exemptions on my salary, I had to pay an additional $4522 on my federal tax.

So, I did that a few days ago. But in addition, now I have to pay quarterly for 2009 so I have to send in my first payment of $1131 this week. :nonono:

Louisiana gives us an extra month or so to get our taxes in so that task still lies ahead.

I assumed we would owe this year, so I waited until the end of March to do our taxes. Yep...the figure of $1222.00 came up...taxes owed. :(

I always have DH double check the return and when he did, he found an error I had made. We're getting a refund of $392.00! Woo Hoo! :D

Seems I got fat-fingered while keying a number. :blush:

Not done. Will owe around $500 -- by design. Will get right on that... perhaps this week-end or the first of next week.

I have three brokerages and it seems that I am receiving 'revised 1099's twice a week ! I plan to wait till early next week and then,let 'er rip !

Last year I think I received my final revision around the end of April, Not big changes but aggravating. I figure I am not doing 1040x es just because they can't get their act together, besides, I think I would look dashing in stripes !!

I did both fed and state taxes first week of february. Received small refund from both and deposited in savings.

e-filed at the end of March and am still awaiting my refund. I did get nice email from the e-file company including projected dates to expect the deposit (which is a nice service and much more specific than what I remember from past years).

Eeek, I still have to file a kiddie return for my son. I guess this weekend will be it.

I remember this being an every year occurrance when I was growing up. My parents would clear the dining room table of everything except tax papers and my Dad would fill in the forms (all manual in those days) for weeks it seemed. He always knew which post office was open the latest on April 15th, and usually that's where we'd make a special trip to send in the forms, sometimes only a few minutes before midnight.

I remember this being an every year occurrance when I was growing up. My parents would clear the dining room table of everything except tax papers and my Dad would fill in the forms (all manual in those days) for weeks it seemed. He always knew which post office was open the latest on April 15th, and usually that's where we'd make a special trip to send in the forms, sometimes only a few minutes before midnight.

I used to do that back in the good/bad old days, back when there were so many more loopholes that I could take advantage of. It was more economically advantageous for me to do so back then, plus I was poorer, so each penny saved meant a lot to me.

Mailed in my first quarterly estimated tax payment for 2009 this morning. This is the first time I have had to pay this way, and I suppose I might as well get used to it. Now to get my 2008 state taxes done.

My cheap bastard genes kicked in last year so it looks like my 2007 refund more than covers my 2008 estimated taxes(fed and state) - didn't take as much IRA out and reduced merger dividend activity in the Norwegian widow taxible. Rats.

Not taxes specifically - but I seem to have a bunch of pesky can't kill'em DRIP plans where I thought I transferred to VG broker - but I have one or some small no of shares in certificate or not transferred paying a few cents/$ dividends I'm trying to track down - 10 to 12 or so of those suckers - which may drive me insane. I just put in a 0.17 and 0.27 cent dividend checks into my bank yesterday.

And to think I used to enjoy DRIP reinvestment plans out to several decimal places.

It's like when you decide something in your garden is a weed - and you can't get rid of it.

Heck - I may file an extension and learn to love the agony. Anywise - Turbo Tax says the Feds have more than enough of my money for me to putz.

heh heh heh - boy if the weather gets good - this tax stuff may get forgotten. :cool:

Did my tax return the first of March (online Turbo Tax), did electronic filing and got refund about a week later. T'Bone Al, this is my third year for electronic filing and direct deposit and I have never received a notice. It just shows up in your account. Also, April 1st I got an additional $65 in my pension check (my stimulus). Did anyone notice this in their retirement/payroll/whatever checks?

Last edited:
We haven't filed either yet. The plan is to create the final revision on Sunday.

The preliminary run throughs showed us getting a $2.5k refund from the Fed and owing $1.5k to the State. All-in-all a win for us.

Drew

Back
Top Bottom