Join Early Retirement Today

T-Mobile being bought by AT&T
Old 03-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

T-Mobile being bought by AT&T

Any thoughts from the T-Mobile users about the proposed buy-out by AT&T? Wr are looking for a pay as you go plan (just voice) to replace AT&T and T-Mobile was on our short list.
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
Any thoughts from the T-Mobile users about the proposed buy-out by AT&T? Wr are looking for a pay as you go plan (just voice) to replace AT&T and T-Mobile was on our short list.
No clue. I hated AAT, it cost too much and dropped too often. If my plan is continued, and service does not degrade all will be well. If not, at least I have no contract. I suppose I could unlock the phone and move to Straightalk.

Ha
Old 03-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

There will be a lot of haggling, anti-trust discussions etc.. Figure at least a year before the deal goes through, if ever.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Less competition, less consumer choice, another excuse to layoff thousands. What's not to like?

I'm probably going to have to ditch my T-Mobile pay as you go plan. It's worked really well for me, but I don't trust AT&T to keep the deal going.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm switching from AT+T to T-mobile pre-paid this weekend. It'll take at least a year for the sale to be sorted, and initially they aren't changing T-mobile.

I figure if I get a year or two out of the switch it will be ok.

I've been on AT+T since 2003, when they were Cingular. I've never had a problem. In prep for my switch, I was even able to get the unlock codes for my phones off their website.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have T Mobile "pay as you go", with which I am happy. I've had bad experiences with AT&T in the past, and I fear they will screw up my good thing with T Mobile. Time will tell. Good to hear one previous poster had good things to say about AT&T. Perhaps there is hope.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #7

Saw this posted on Twitter -

Quote:
AT&T is getting married to T-Mobile. There will be no reception afterwards.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #8

I was just this week looking at phones for TMobile so I can use it with the prepaid plans. So disappointing they are joining with AT&T. Now the rates will zoom up. Pooh!

Now who do I use for prepaid calls?

I'm somewhat concerned since I've had TMobile for years, and they really always have worked well for me. Not a happy camper here.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
No clue. I hated AAT, it cost too much and dropped too often. If my plan is continued, and service does not degrade all will be well. If not, at least I have no contract. I suppose I could unlock the phone and move to Straightalk.

Ha
AT&T and all wireless carriers are very sensitive to churn (customers coming and leaving) So this is precisely why they are merging. To relieve massive congestion on their network and roll out the 4G LTE network. More Spectrum is required for both. This is the stated goal by AT&T.

E86S54
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #10

AT&T to buy T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom - Business - U.S. business - msnbc.com

from the article:

"T-Mobile has relatively cheap service plans compared with AT&T, particularly when comparing the kind that don't come with a two-year contract. AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson said one of the goals of the acquisition would be to move T-Mobile customers to smart phones, which have higher monthly fees. AT&T "will look hard" at keeping T-Mobile's no-contract plans, he said."

If the merger eventually goes through, which it will, I expect AT&T to offer us T-Mobile pre-pays a "fantastic" deal just like they offered us previous AT&T folks back when they turned down their TDMA network. They didn't give a rat's arse if we jumped ship or not. I was paying $24.95/mo, and their "special rate" for existing AT&T customers who had to migrate over was the same as their regular rate, which IIRC was $59.95/mo. then. I bailed out.

I'm happy with T-Mobile pre-pay, I have a phone I like that is reliable, and coverage is good. So all good things will come to an end...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

So what's the alternative to T-Mobile now? Virgin?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #12

I'm am so bummed about this. I moved from AT&T to T-Mobile 4 years ago, and never looked back. The good news is that it will take a year for any merger and it will need to be approved by the FCC. The bad news is that it will need to be approved by the FCC.

Editorial in this morning's Seattle Times encouraging the FCC to vote no for threereasons: Moving from many carriers to a few carriers, losing a carrier that offers lower rates than any one else, and loss of jobs in the Seattle area as a result of the merger.

We'll see.

-- Rita
Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
That depends on where you live -- Virgin's coverage isn't always the best everywhere. I have been looking around and I just can't find a carrier that lets you load up a pre-pay amount and use it for an unlimited amount of time (until the money is gone).

Plenty of carriers with a daily rate on the days that you use it. I guess I'm going to have to figure out if a daily rate is equivelent to the $50-60 I spend per year.

-- Rita
Old 03-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If you are an AT&T or TMobile customer this merger will likely be a lose-lose situation. If approved, the quality of service will likely be the pits during the merger process and no doubt rates will begin to increase.

Maybe Nords is right...
Old 03-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe Nords is right...
I'm probably biased by my personal choices. Every time I've had the need to carry a cell phone I've generally been miserable, and the cell phone just makes me that much more reachable by people who aren't necessarily going to ease the misery.

Oddly enough, that also seems to describe the merger!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post

I would not go with Virgin..... and I am a customer...

Got Virgin for my wife... who likes to travel to state parks... the coverage is ZERO outside of any the major cities or highways... so it was worthless to her...

We got Tracfone and it works great... cost about $100 per year, but I think you can get it cheaper (we have only had it for a few months, so have not had to look yet for the new minutes)...

I am thinking about cutting off Virgin and losing the $50 I have prepaid...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 AM   #17

The fact that so many people hate AT&T and don't want them to screw up T-Mobile makes me think that "free enterprise" and "competition" would prevent such a customer-unfriendly thing from happening. I suppose we need to hope that the antitrust laws prevent it.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
gone traveling

DW/me have had T-Mobile for many years and are quite satisfied with their service, especially since they are on the GSM network and use them quite often while we travel.

While we don't use the phone for anything other than voice and have one of the old grandfathered plans ($19.95/mo) I'm sure we will lose that "cheap" service if the takeover is completed.

I know that we could get by with prepaid, but to us it's a hassle if we're traveling outside the US and need to purchase airtime.

With the advent of smart phones, but more importantly their anticipated use in everyday transactions - such as on-line coupon scans, we started to look at alternative plans. On top of our list (thus far) is Virgin Mobile with smart phone rates as low as $25/mo.

I'm sure other providers will have "special offers" to try to get those that currently have T-Mobile so we'll just wait the year to see what's available.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #19

I own AT&T and Verizon stocks - both for the nice dividends. My cell phone is Verizon so the deal shouldn't affect my service. I hope it goes through.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #20

I've been using Net10 prepaid phones for a couple years now. They have been the cheapest for my needs, and before that I was using T-Mobile prepaid for about 4 years. I also use Google Voice, and give this out to people as my #. That way I can forward the calls wherever I am located, which might mean my computer if I am out of the country.

With Net 10, the carrier used depends on how you purchase the phone. I have it set up to use AT&T as their coverage is best where I live and travel.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote