Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I may sign up for this plan soon. Any Gotchas that I should know about before I sign up.

Also, the guy at the T-Mobile store told me that the antennas in the phones sold by T-Mobile worked better with the new TM system than ordinary unlocked phones sold by a non TM source. Sounds funny to me.
Ask him which bands he's talking about.
You should be able to look at your phone's manufacturer website to see which bands it covers.

For example, my iPhone 7 has:
FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you're buying a new phone to use on T-Mobile, you may want to get a phone with Band 71.

Only a few phones may support it so you may have to wait until later this year.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...ile-600mhz.htm

So get a cheaper phone now and look to upgrade later this year or next year.

T-Mobile is a good value but it should be noted that AT&T and Verizon seem to be the first to deploy 5G.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:45 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Auto payment required.

You can turn on One Plus for one or both numbers.

Autopatyment as in a credit card?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:03 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

I think so.

I don't know if they have options for ACH from your checking account.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:59 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Switched from Verizon to T Mobile and it was easy. Went to local mall and was told they don't advertise this plan in the store as itndoesn't make much money for them so you have to ask.

Only thing I had to do is unfreeze my credit at Transunion. No loss calls and coverage seems good. Will be taking a trip in a few months and if I have problems I'll report back.

One thing I do like is there is no contract that I'm locked into, just month to month so I can leave at any time.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:11 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I may sign up for this plan soon. Any Gotchas that I should know about before I sign up.

Also, the guy at the T-Mobile store told me that the antennas in the phones sold by T-Mobile worked better with the new TM system than ordinary unlocked phones sold by a non TM source. Sounds funny to me.
Not true with iPhone IMO. DH bought the SIM-free iPhone X because he thought it was the best one, and so far it’s picking up cell signal better than his old T-mobile iPhone 6 which he still bought directly from Apple.*

But I could see how people could buy or have poor compatibility with unlocked phones because they don’t have the right one. I bet this mistake gets made often.

*DH went with the SIM-free phone which receives all bands while the iPhone X model sold by T-mobile does not support the CDMA networks used by Verizon and Sprint in the US.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Autopatyment as in a credit card?
That’s what we do.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I posted these links on the other T Mobile thread.

List of phones compatible with T Mobile Ext range LTE

T Mobile explanation of Ext range LTE
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #129
Dryer sheet aficionado

I switched to TMobile 55 when I left megacorp. Absolutely no problems. Plus they will help you with transferring all your photos etc from your current phone to the new phone (if you are purchasing a new one). Plus I cut my bill down from $130 to $50. When DH retires later this year I can add him to the plan for an additional $10. Unlimited everything. Right now you cannot beat that plan with other carriers. Or at least none I am aware of.
Kristinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:47 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinia View Post
When DH retires later this year I can add him to the plan for an additional $10.
You can add him right now if you want - only the primary account owner needs to be 55+.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
You can add him right now if you want - only the primary account owner needs to be 55+.
Maybe DH’s phone is paid for by work.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:46 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
I think I posted these links on the other T Mobile thread.

List of phones compatible with T Mobile Ext range LTE

T Mobile explanation of Ext range LTE
Thanks much for this!

So my iPhone SE (which I purchased through T-mobile anyway) is compatible as well as DHs new iPhone X.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s what we do.
Thanks. I don't let anybody take money directly from my checking account except for me, myself and I.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. I don't let anybody take money directly from my checking account except for me, myself and I.
+1 especially ACA/Phone type charges where they would be "slow" to stop the charges if necessary.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

But I could see how people could buy or have poor compatibility with unlocked phones because they don’t have the right one. I bet this mistake gets made often.

+1

I was reading a review for a phone a relative recently bought to use on T-Mobile. The reviewer was complaining that the service was slow, no LTE, and very spotty. Another person pointed out to him that the phone he purchased in SE Asia was not made for the American market and does not have the proper radio bands to work with AT&T and TM. OOPS! The ones sold in America have the proper radios and work well.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I was reading a review for a phone a relative recently bought to use on T-Mobile. The reviewer was complaining that the service was slow, no LTE, and very spotty. Another person pointed out to him that the phone he purchased in SE Asia was not made for the American market and does not have the proper radio bands to work with AT&T and TM. OOPS! The ones sold in America have the proper radios and work well.
Still - if you had an older, say Verizon iPhone 5 for example, that was unlocked for GSM frequencies, you can’t expect decent T-mobile US reception because it is missing too many LTE bands.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

I switched from AT&T to the T-Mobile 55+ plan back in August and it's been great. I especially love the free international data. I paid for the "One Plus" feature on my line to get faster international data plus caller name ID. (DW almost never uses her phone, so it made no sense to pay extra for her.)

You definitely want band 12. Band 71 is the 600MHz spectrum and only a couple of phones have that right now. It's also not yet widely deployed. I wouldn't worry about it for a few years.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:30 PM   #138

The app below may help some. It is a T Mobile app that will let you enter the IMEI number (bar code number) for a phone and the app will tell if the phone will handle T Moible's Ext Range LTE bands. Yes, it is sort of a single use app that they could have handled with the a web page.

BYOD Check App
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

I joined the T-Mobile 55+ crowd today. I really liked Ting's service and their pricing was good. But, I did not like having to watch my data usage. T-Mobile will be about $4 a month more but with unlimited data (well above 50 gigs it might be throttled, I have never come close to using 50 gigs). I'll chalk up the extra $4 a month to the "Blough that dough" philosophy. Last of the big spenders, I am.

One question for the international travelers: Is there anything I need to do before hand to make sure than when I step of the plane in Rome, Paris, London, Sophia, etc. my phone will be working?

Old 03-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #140

Quote:
I joined the T-Mobile 55+ crowd today. I really liked Ting's service and their pricing was good. But, I did not like having to watch my data usage. T-Mobile will be about $4 a month more but with unlimited data (well above 50 gigs it might be throttled, I have never come close to using 50 gigs). I'll chalk up the extra $4 a month to the "Blough that dough" philosophy. Last of the big spenders, I am.

One question for the international travelers: Is there anything I need to do before hand to make sure than when I step of the plane in Rome, Paris, London, Sophia, etc. my phone will be working?

FWIW, When I was in England , I didn’t have to do anything for my 55+ plan , just flew in and used it.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote