Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I think they take off the grated cheese and (if applicable) the cheese or other sauce. Then they add pico de gallo (seasoned tomatoes and onions w/ cilantro). The cost of the food (to taco bell) may be similar or slightly less al fresco style.

Surprisingly I don't thing they charge anything extra to al fresco it.
Well TB franchises are independently operated, so prices vary. In Hawaii both of the Taco Bells I go to charge $.10 to $.20 more for the al fresco versions.
And they never have the buy one get a 2nd one free coupons, so the actually cost is way higher for coupon clipper like myself.

I agree the do taste pretty good. Hawaii has many fine restaurants, but only one good Mexican one. (I grew up in LA) So TB is actually above average for Mexican food

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Haven't heard those euphamisms before...
Man, you must've been waiting months for that setup...

Our local Taco Bell cashier just started charging 50 cents for the salsa on the taco salad instead of allowing us to substitute it for the ranch dressing. Apparently the "rancho" dressing is standard and the salsa is "extra". I offered to sell him back the little packet of dressing for 45 cents but he must not have covered that topic in his raining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I agree the do taste pretty good. Hawaii has many fine restaurants, but only one good Mexican one. (I grew up in LA) So TB is actually above average for Mexican food
So would that be El Palenque, in the epicenter of that hotbed of fine Mexican cuisine in downtown Wahiawa? Because if there's another good Mexican restaurant on Oahu, I'm ready to try it!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

It's not just the employees at Taco Bell that give pause. Dh and I ran in for a quick Taco snack at lunch last Saturday. I sat down at a booth facing a man about 50. He was very disheveled, had a dirty bookbag sitting on his table and ate with his mouth open and food kept falling out of his mouth. I had to move to another seat. My DH saw that I had moved and asked why. When I told him, he glanced over and he recognized the guy as a NASA rocket propulsion scientist that he had worked with. My bad!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

To me a real taco is a soft tortilla containing mainly cabbage and marinated pork, but that doesn't detract from being able to appreciate a good Taco Bell meal every once in awhile.

Some people go to China on vacation, order authentic food, and are disappointed in how much fat is on the meat or that the veggies aren't the same etc. I don't think it's a matter of authenticity to determine goodness.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post

Some people go to China on vacation, order authentic food, and are disappointed in how much fat is on the meat or that the veggies aren't the same etc. I don't think it's a matter of authenticity to determine goodness.
Had some scallops with bok choy in Chinatown yesterday, looked like an authentic old time joint, loved the atmosphere, maybe I do like touristy spots. The scallops were perfect but the bok choy was a tad tough; when it is done right, it is tender and sublime! I'll have to go back to that other hole-in-the wall place.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
It's not just the employees at Taco Bell that give pause. Dh and I ran in for a quick Taco snack at lunch last Saturday. I sat down at a booth facing a man about 50. He was very disheveled, had a dirty bookbag sitting on his table and ate with his mouth open and food kept falling out of his mouth. I had to move to another seat. My DH saw that I had moved and asked why. When I told him, he glanced over and he recognized the guy as a NASA rocket propulsion scientist that he had worked with. My bad!
Maybe he was going for the "House" look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d8341bfc7553ef00e54f140e008833-640wi.jpg (144.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

When my hubby picks up an order from Taco Bell, he asks me what SHAPE I want. He says they use the same 5 ingredients in everything on the menu...just different shapes.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
Uncle Mick......was that you?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

We used to eat there, prior to the "bean" incident. My DW ordered tacos without cheese (lactose intolerant), and they charged me for extra cheese on my tacos.

Known also here as: Taco Hell, Toxic Smell, Snocko Smell, Toxic Shell...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DD worked at Taco Bell for part of a year. She did not mind it and they were extremely flexible with her work hours. She was going to college and wanted off whenever her DH to be, would come home from the Navy. They even let her be off for the summer months. She is moving back home tonight with my dear 11 month old granddaughter, while her DH goes to 3 month training in TX. She is talking about going back to work at Taco Bell for the summer. She is fondly recalling working there after being home alone with her 11 month as a stay-at-home mom and taking online college classes. (She already says that she is going to go to a college at his next duty station, rather than online again.) I keep thinking about getting the rest of my social security credits and have thought that since they were so flexible with a work schedule that I might apply at Taco Bell. I have not convinced myself to do it yet. By the way, my DD use to come home with stories about abnoxious customers who would rant and rave, just so they could get their orders free sometimes. She would start with, You would not believe...., and I would laugh and say, Oh yes I would. I worked for the Feds for almost 33 yrs and was a public servant dealing with the publlic everyday. The majority by far, were extremely nice, but they were a few who would rant and rave and tell me that I was a public servant and they were paying my salary, etc. I would look at their work history and think, buddy, if you were really paying my salary, I would starve to death. They would normally be the ones who had multiple missing years on their work record or might only be earning in the hundreds or a few thousand for the year. I would then remind myself mentally that I was the professional and maybe I would be acting out also if my life was as frustrating as their life probably was and try to solve their problem for them. Hmmm, maybe I should apply to Taco Bell. I would probably be very qualified to handle the irate customers and the customers who probably think that you are beneath them, since you work at Taco Hell (as my DH calls it).