Join Early Retirement Today

Taco Bell
Old 06-02-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Taco Bell

[MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was split from the Propane Cheat! thread for obvious reasons.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Which would be fine if they cut the price by nearly 25% to reflect the fact that it contains 25% less than the previous 8-ouncers...

Clearly you never were in marketing. You should pay more for 6 oz container of yogurt than an 8 oz, because it is healthier since it contains 25% less calories.

I noticed that Taco Bell has a Fresco line of "healthy" food. From what I can tell there is no difference between a Fresco taco and regular taco supreme except they remove the cheese and sour creme and charge more. Pure genius.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I noticed that Taco Bell has a Fresco line of "healthy" food. From what I can tell there is no difference between a Fresco taco and regular taco supreme except they remove the cheese and sour creme and charge more. Pure genius.
I think they take off the grated cheese and (if applicable) the cheese or other sauce. Then they add pico de gallo (seasoned tomatoes and onions w/ cilantro). The cost of the food (to taco bell) may be similar or slightly less al fresco style.

Surprisingly I don't thing they charge anything extra to al fresco it.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I think they take off the grated cheese and (if applicable) the cheese or other sauce. Then they add pico de gallo (seasoned tomatoes and onions w/ cilantro). The cost of the food (to taco bell) may be similar or slightly less al fresco style.

Surprisingly I don't thing they charge anything extra to al fresco it.
And, the Al Fresco versions don't taste bad. For quick grab-and-go fast food, it's one of the better choices out there, IMO.

Off the subject: IMO, Taco Bell employees are the strangest cast in the fast food biz. More piercings, bizarre hairdos, funky attitudes, etc. It does make me wonder what goes on when they prepare the food.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
And, the Al Fresco versions don't taste bad. For quick grab-and-go fast food, it's one of the better choices out there, IMO.

Off the subject: IMO, Taco Bell employees are the strangest cast in the fast food biz. More piercings, bizarre hairdos, funky attitudes, etc. It does make me wonder what goes on when they prepare the food.
TB is one of my few fast food choices.
We were just there on Saturday. We ordered the Volcano Box ( 1 burrito, 2 tacos, cinnamon crispies, drink) to split. I asked for the volcano sauce (included) to be delivered on the side, i.e. not any on the food at all. I wanted to see just how "seriously spicy" it was.
We were charged for 2 extra sauces, and when dh2b protested, the cashier just said "We have to charge for extra sauce. Have a nice day, sir." So we chalked it up and proceeded to our table.
Not 5 minutes later the Asst Manager is at our table, apologizing all over the place and gave us a cash refund on the extra sauce sides. She even offered us a relacement meal, but we said, no, we're all set.
The volcano sauce was very good BTW. I think it is mayonnaise based. It had a little kick and some minor afterburn. For the serious hot chilehead, it would be considered mild.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Off the subject: IMO, Taco Bell employees are the strangest cast in the fast food biz. More piercings, bizarre hairdos, funky attitudes, etc.
This might be another one of those "depends where you live" things. Most of the Taco Bell employees around here speak little English and hail from Mexico, Guatemala, etc. But, that's the case in almost all of the fast food places - except for Chic-Fil-A which almost exclusively is staffed by local high school kids.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
This might be another one of those "depends where you live" things. Most of the Taco Bell employees around here speak little English and hail from Mexico, Guatemala, etc. But, that's the case in almost all of the fast food places - except for Chic-Fil-A which almost exclusively is staffed by local high school kids.
Most of our town's Taco Bell employees look fairly "normal" and somewhat representative of the community. I suppose that's because we don't really have a heck of a lot of jobs in town, so even fast food joints don't have to take the rather, umm, eclectic applicants.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Jew Want A Yumbo Yak con Papas Fritas?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #7

Jew Want A Yumbo Yak con Papas Fritas?

Spanish language skills come in handy around here if you want to get una hamburgesa con queso, con papas fritas y un eSprite medio!

Video is NSFW

Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad taco bell got a thread of its own, as it should.

At the closest taco bell, there was an employee we nicknamed "the Tude" because of the attitude she had with everyone. Instead of hello may I help you, it was "What you want?" We stopped going to that taco bell and instead drive a minute or two further to get to a far superior taco bell.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm glad taco bell got a thread of its own, as it should.
I don't know that it needed to. Seems like discussion of Taco Bell was perfectly relevant in a thread about natural gas.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We call it "Taco Hell" around here. Funny little story, I used to work with a Hispanic guy who was a total hoot. One day another coworker came around taking orders for Taco Bell. He asked Juan (real name) if he wanted anything, and Juan said:

"Taco Bell? Are you kidding me? They're an insult to my ancestors"!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Taco Bell is to Mexican food as Chef Boyardee is to Italian cuisine.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Taco Bell is to Mexican food as Chef Boyardee is to Italian cuisine.
How bout Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa Johns, plus ANY frozen pizza, to Italian Cuisine?

I dated a 100% Sicilian girl in college, and her pizza was awesome, thin crust, fresh ingredients, etc.......

Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
How bout Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa Johns, plus ANY frozen pizza, to Italian Cuisine?

I dated a 100% Sicilian girl in college, and her pizza was awesome, thin crust, fresh ingredients, etc.......
Haven't heard those euphamisms before...
Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I own a cookbook entitled "Italy the Beautiful". The recipes bear very little resemblance to food served in the Italian-American restaurants that abound in my local area. The pasta is common, of course, but the sauces and combos of ingredients in my cookbook are just amazing. This is a very fun cookbook to experiment with.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #15

Once knew a guy who relocated from the keystone state to Texas. For years he would not eat Mexican or Tex-Mex food -- wouldn't even go into any place that served it. It took two or three years to find out why.

One of the first things he did when he got here was to try "Mexican" food one and only one time, and he hated it with a passion. The one place he tried -- Taco Bell. We finally got him straightened out and it turns out that he liked Tex-Mex food, just not Taco Bell.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Haven't heard those euphamisms before...
I did say pizza.........SHE was as spicy as a volcano pepper. She actually had an Uncle Guido, if you can believe that...........I am so glad she was NOT a stalker.........

Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did say pizza.........SHE was as spicy as a volcano pepper. She actually had an Uncle Guido, if you can believe that...........I am so glad she was NOT a stalker.........
This thread is useless without pics...

Both Mexico and Italy have tons of regional differences in terms of "cuisine".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This thread is useless without pics...

Both Mexico and Italy have tons of regional differences in terms of "cuisine".
I think that if I still had pics of any of my girlfriends before DW, she would have destroyed all evidence by now.......

I do have a pic of DW and I from about 20 years ago, maybe I should post that.......

Old 06-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
I don't know that it needed to. Seems like discussion of Taco Bell was perfectly relevant in a thread about natural gas.
Methane vs/ Propane?

a poll, perhaps?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We call it "Taco Hell" around here. Funny little story, I used to work with a Hispanic guy who was a total hoot. One day another coworker came around taking orders for Taco Bell. He asked Juan (real name) if he wanted anything, and Juan said:

Funny thing, I've seen Hispanic customers in the restaurant. Of course they may be American born citizens and never been to Mexico. Doubt it though.