Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Take care guys
Old 09-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It is a good idea to preview and recheck your posts before submitting them on this and in any forum.
But that's so much like work and we really hate work here btw. I'd just rather not post at all.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
I just got word that forum staff is getting complaints about my posts.* *Since my primary motive has always been to share what i've learned so far in life with others instead of being stingy with it, it seems that's not the way its being received.* *In other words, my goal for taking time to post is to help, and apparently i'm failing at that goal.
When I read your post I recognized your ID, but your profile didn't jump right out at me. (sorry about that). *So I took the time to refresh a bit by reading some of your posts.
I must say, having done *that, *your removal from the forum is the best thing that has happened since sliced bread.
JUST KIDDING AZANON.
Fact is, your are one of the posters I could probably enjoy chatting with in real time with real Corona. *
From your posts I'd say we have probably endured a few similar experiences. *
The nail has been thoroughly pounded on the head by multiple posters and even by yourself. *Your delivery sucks- - -You are clearly intelligent and well reseached, but that delivery is killing you.
It's really not about being "nice" it is about being effective. *I have a feeling that you are one of the posters here who would really like to change *hearts and minds and frankly I think that is noble. *But, if you look at the hearts and minds present for duty at this forum you find 1001 attitudes about religion, more than that about politics, guys that would like to see the Prez's chopper shot down, *and of course money yours, mine and their's. *So you don't think you have to tailor your delivery to be heard?? *Please...

I haven't read anywhere that you have been banned, only tattled on and subsequently warned. *That would piss me off as well, but if you really want to share, teach, and make better you will shake this off and go for the greater good with a new flightplan inhand.
On the other hand, if you find "dressing up" the delivery to much trouble,* then you are opting out of the changing hearts and minds business. Not to worry though, someone else will pick up that task, perhaps minus the background you have,* but in possession of the delivery.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #23

Azanon, hang around dude or dudess, I got thick hide into which thousands of arrows can be shot without effect. Shot one my way.

a "real time real Corona". Now that's my thinking.

Acutually several of the better (knowledgeable) posters on this board have told me I'm a fool and a waste of bandwith. I think Berstein is a sham and the thread I started on that got me reported/cussed/dissed/hissed/booed/bludgeoned/smacked and that was the good part.

Think THICK SKIN
Old 09-28-2005, 03:04 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I have never moderated a board before, and because I post quite often, and have exchanged frequently with all of you, including Azanon, I think I've "moderated" maybe two times, for fear of being hypocritical.

Having said that, I found Dory's message quite mild, it's not like Azanon was banned, and it was sent privately. Azanon, please continue to post, you leaving would have the opposite effect than intended, methinks. Personally, I thought some of your posts DID cross the line, but as stated above, I had "exchanged" with you too much to feel comfortable saying something myself. I'm a big boy and can take an arrow, but my concern is we have had too many threads like this as of late (for example, Charlie) where members have said goodbye because of the confrontational tone this board has taken at times. We (the moderators) have to try and balance the needs/desires/complaints of all sides. On the one hand, we want everyone to speak their mind, and on the other, we want to maximize participation and keep from scaring away new members.

This is the only board I participate on, and with reason. Boards that are left in an "anything goes" status descend quickly into a shouting, ALL-CAPS, momma insulting, virtual anarchy. At the same time, we don't want to go "big brother" and make everyone attend their group-think sessions and always chant the party mantra of "4%! Vanguard! Live Below Your Means!". (Anybody seen Shrek? "Welcome to ER Forum, such a perfect town, now we have some rules let us lay them down...."). As always, continued input from all of you is most appreciated.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:41 PM   #25

Well, how about somewhere in the middle then? I can certainly make an attempt to try to be nicer; to "tone it down", but its not going to be perfect.

Some of the responsiblity though does have to fall on the moderator and extend beyond things such as the pm i got from Dory. For instance, if a moderator allows a thread to run regarding christainity vs agnosticism (or one that evolves into that, no pun intended), it is reasonable to expect that such a thread is going to have some tension. If the moderator even allows said thread to stay open, he has to accept and expect that some people are going to get bent out of shape. To use an analogy, its not exactly fair for a moderator to pass out matchbooks and fireworks to everyone (or allow them to have them), then complain when someone ends up gets burnt later. Sure you can play with fireworks and matchbooks responsibilty, but even the most careful of us gets burned every now and then.

Azanon

Old 09-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #26

Damn, I'm starting to feel like Mr Rogers.

JG
Old 09-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #27

JG,
How the heck did you feel up Mr Rogers.

I used to think I felt like a stud but the lady friend always said "Not really". Guess feeling are pretty mushy.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I'm a big boy and can take an arrow, but my concern is we have had too many threads like this as of late (for example, Charlie) where members have said goodbye because of the confrontational tone this board has taken at times.*
I haven't read enough of Azanon's posts to understand or have an opinion on the problem as it relates to him. IMO, the limits are simple. One shouldn't use gutter language or crude references in a disparaging way against some named individual; or be easily identifiable as a psychotic.* Short of that, so what?

I do think in a more general way, most of the leavers have been passive aggressive twits (esp. those who leave behind bible references). IMO, if someone wants to leave, he should go ahead. Someone will take his place. But he should have the class to shut up about his oh-so-precious reasons for doing so. Itís just an unbecoming girly way of getting even.

Lots of people enjoy scattering tacks on the floor, then running to mommy if they step on one. These folks needed more quality time on the playground or football field.

Ha
Old 09-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
IMO, the limits are simple. One shouldn't use gutter language or crude references in a disparaging way against some named individual; or be easily identifies as a psychotic. Short of that, so what?

I do think in a more general way, most of the leavers have been passive aggressive twits (esp. those who leave behind bible references). IMO, if someone wants to leave, he should go ahead. Someone will take his place. But he should have the class to shut up about his oh-so-precious reasons for doing so. Itís just an unbecoming girly way of getting even.
There are at least two types of leavers. The noisy ones are the the ones most often noticed, but there are quite a few regular contributors who have quietly disappeared. We don't know about all cases, but some of the quiet leavers leave because of the argumentative threads.

Not everyone has thick skin, and not all that do care to read some of this stuff.

Both noisy and quiet leavers have made valuable contributions.

My personal take is that ER-minded people are a decisive and stubborn bunch, and nobody's going to win political or religious conversions here. After the points have been made the only reason to continue the argument is the joy of arguing which seems rather destructive to the quality of financial and ER info with contributors leaving upset, offended or bored.

Moderators can keep the spam away and split the controversial off-topic tangents from FI/RE-related threads, but moderators can't improve the social situation because every action and inaction just makes another thing to argue about.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #30

HA,
I stepped on a tack, peed my pants, ran to mom, she was doing "you know what" with a stanger and blamed you.

Any more good advice
Old 09-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
There are at least two types of leavers. The noisy ones are the the ones most often noticed, but there are quite a few regular contributors who have quietly disappeared. We don't know about all cases, but some of the quiet leavers leave because of the argumentative threads.
Right. My comment referred only to the noisey ones. But I think you forget another reason for leaving- it can get just too boring. Once you have an idea what you are doing ER-wise, you have to look around for other reasons for staying. For some, the role of senior advice giver-guru is very attractive. Some don't get much mileage out of that, but do enjoy the banter. Otherwise, what is the point of hanging around if you don't need hand holding? I mean, how interesting is "I only need 15 more years and $1.5 million more and then I am out of here? Or even worse, if someone would just give me $20,000,000 I could start a business.* Who the heck couldn't?

Quote:
Not everyone has thick skin, and not all that do care to read some of this stuff.
Good point, but last time I went to Unread Posts and didn't see anything I was interested in and just marked them "all read", no one jumped out of my computer and made me read the posts anyway.

Ha
Old 09-28-2005, 07:17 PM   #32

Quote:
most of the leavers have been passive aggressive twits
Ha, you ignorant slut.

The world is full of passive-aggressive twits. And aggressive twits like us. Should we try to mold them all into passive twits? Personally, I enjoy producing both heat and light. It's just dogma that I can't stomach. But without dogma, I'd have nothing to rage against, so I guess I would miss it if it were gone.

If an aggressive species crowds out another species, should we intervene and try to control the aggressive species or let evolution take its course. I vote for evolution, but it's not my board. This is one case in which we really have a God (and a few demi-gods). Let them decide. And then make it so.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Once you have an idea what you are doing ER-wise, you have to look around for other reasons for staying.
I stick around to watch you more, er, senior ERs for signs that your ER stamina is in jeopardy. Mikey, Jarhead, Eagle, you guys are my canaries in the mineshaft. "Breathe deep."

It's also a place where I can post Andy-Rooney style "Have you ever wondered--?" questions. My spouse really appreciates the work you're doing here, because otherwise she'd have to start ignoring listening to those questions again.

And I enjoy much of the banter. After all, how many of your average neighbors or co-workers would recognize the "you ignorant slut" phrase?!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNL.jpg (4.6 KB, 126 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:03 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
Ha, you ignorant slut.*
LOL.* There were good jokes on the joke thread today, but this one caught me totally by surprise and got the loudest laugh.

Last night I was having a drink with my older son, and to pass the time when we weren't flirting with the barmaid we were trying to decide who of us is the biggest pita- me, him, or his brother. He wanted the honors, but I held steadfast to my claim. When they were younger they were united in their opinion that I got the crown.

Their Mommy also votes for me.*

Ha
Old 09-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I stick around to watch you more, er, senior ERs for signs that your ER stamina is in jeopardy.* Mikey, Jarhead, Eagle, you guys are my canaries in the mineshaft.* "Breathe deep."
Nords, I think we are all in the clear. Not to worry.

Quote:
HA,
I stepped on a tack, peed my pants, ran to mom, she was doing "you know what" with a stanger and blamed you.

Any more good advice*
Didn't I warn you about tacks? As to your Mom's indiscretion, no comment.

Ha
Old 09-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #36
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

The social stuff is not insignificant. *Outside of the time I was boating, where perhaps 2/3 were ERs, I have had chance encounters with . . . uhhh . . . well, maybe I haven't met ANYONE who is a real ER. Several who were medically retired, several unable to hold a job, many between jobs, but I can't remember any bone fide retirees who retired early like we all talk about here.

Awfully hard to have discussions of these sort of issues with people who simply can't comprehend the idea of retiring early.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I stick around to watch you more, er, senior ERs for signs that your ER stamina is in jeopardy.* Mikey, Jarhead, Eagle, you guys are my canaries in the mineshaft.* "Breathe deep."

Nords: Hoping to be able to run the "full-marathon", but like a good "boy scout" have to be "prepared" for contingencies.

I met a retired Naval Officer that lives in Hawaii, and in about 6 years or so his daughter will be off to college. At that time he and his wife will probably be anxious to do some traveling.
It is obviously premature to bring this up at this point, but my fall-back plan is this:

My wife is an excellent cook, and housekeeper.
While the Officer and his wife are traveling, we will do all necessary maintenance of the property, and will even take care of any deferred maintenance.

When they are not traveling, I will be available for unlimited golf and fly-fishing instruction.

There of course, will have to be an understanding that 5 years would be the longest that we would be able to stay.

Aloha.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #38

Hey,
My daughter, presently residing in Spain, has indicated she is returning to Oahu early next year. So NORDS, I will have a place to stay unlimited, and cheap (free maybe). I guess surfing lessons are necessary, after all. Can I learn, at 62, without drowning, that is? Probably not, but I can snorkel. Maybe I can even get over there before Jarhead! Love that paradise, even if you have to watch the Cowboys at 7 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

IMH (and probably misguided) O...

I enjoy most aspects of this board: wide variety of experiences, education, politics, and a bunch of wiseasses! *

I don't like discussing religion, except as it pertains to government policy. I do not support teaching religion as science, and if I hear one more politician invoke the name of the Almighty, i'm gonna puke. But have at it... (Mark as read...)

Politics is a valid topic of discussion re: RE; monetary policy, tax policy, social policy, energy policy, etc. These issues affect our lives and wallets...

Ya don't have to read it if ya don't want...

The pendulum swings both ways for a reason...

Shouting is impolite, and only occasionally effective...

Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one, and they all stink...

Don't mind me; I had some fairly expensive extensive dental work done today, and I'm on hydrocodone... *:P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:08 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
The social stuff is not insignificant. *Outside of the time I was boating, where perhaps 2/3 were ERs, I have had chance encounters with . . . uhhh . . . well, maybe I haven't met ANYONE who is a real ER. Several who were medically retired, several unable to hold a job, many between jobs, but I can't remember any bone fide retirees who retired early like we all talk about here.

Awfully hard to have discussions of these sort of issues with people who simply can't comprehend the idea of retiring early.

I have had the same experience. Can not recall meeting an actual
honest-to-God ER face to face, ever! Oops, just thought of one. He is about my age and did it on a shoestring like I did, and has been retired about as long. Easier for him. Very very low level spending, yet he stills winters
in Arizona and lives near me in the summer. Anyway, I know a lot of people.
When I announced I was quitting for good..........shock and awe.

JG