Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'd take a few practice for retirement days (Formerly known as mental health days ).
Probably get someone here on FIRE working in the medical field to write you a note...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2009, 06:06 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's definitely a bad policy, but if it were me I wouldn't use them because it wouldn't be worth the guilt. Not saying anyone should feel guilty, just that I would if it were me and so it wouldn't be worth it.

I would feel ok about setting up extra dr's appointments and such if there's any reason to do that.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you don't feel right about taking sick leave because you aren't sick, then you shouldn't do it. Somewhere in your posting I sense the need to exit your job and make a statement about work ethic.

You should do as you planned, your boss will remember your actions, even if your co-workers don't. As others have said, sick leave is a benefit and designed to be there if you need it. You've won the health care lottery and you don't need it. Congratulations!

I'm sure that there are other benefits you've earned that you will never use as well. Good for you!

-- Rita
Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #24

Chaos Abounds, you see a high road, you should take it. Taking what you see as the low road will leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #25

I have a co-worker whose sometimes once a week doctor's appointments typically coincides with everyone else's work at home day, Fridays, Mondays, or the time when he needed to stand in line for concert tickets which he accidentally let slip a few days after his doctor's appointments. Your coworkers are not morons. They will figure out that you're slacking. Why give yourself a bad rep?
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Abounds View Post
So do I take the high road and just let all those sick days go to waste (there is no incentive not to use them) when I leave?
Think ahead to the month after you've started your ER. (Go ahead, we'll wait here until you're ready to rejoin the discussion.) How would you feel during that month? "Gosh, I'm really glad I took the high road and donated all my extra sick leave to those folks" or "Crap, I can't believe I didn't use a few more of those sick days!"

That's the feeling you'll likely have for the rest of your ER, so choose accordingly.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Opinion seems to be split pretty evenly.

I can't really see myself changing my values dramatically so I'll likely take a day here or there over the next six months but for the most part I see myself forfeiting all those sick days...sigh. But I will feel better about myself if I don't abuse the system...and who knows, it may actually sink in with one or two of the people who work here...nah...probably not.

On the bright side...I'm retiring!!!!!!
Chaos Abounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
But I will feel better about myself if I don't abuse the system...and who knows, it may actually sink in with one or two of the people who work here...nah...probably not.

On the bright side...I'm retiring!!!!!!
Hey, its a win-win situation! Enjoy

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #29

Quote:
... I feel like it would be wrong to call in sick when not sick but then also feel like a chump for not using benefits I earned....
You are probably making the right choice. Nobody is going to call you a chump. Going forward you might consider being a little more liberal in taking days off; just stay well short of the guilt line.

Had a coworker once take a morning off because thunderstorms woke her up and she said she didn not get enough sleep. Can see where that might be a valid reason in some professions, but not in this case.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I worked with a young pretty single woman who would call in sick two or three days in a row several times a year because she had gas.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I worked with a young pretty single woman who would call in sick two or three days in a row several times a year because she had gas.
I retired for similar medical reasons.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

This is why I prefer companies having PTO.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Waaaiit a second, can I get short term disability for this?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
This is why I prefer companies having PTO.
Exactly. You get X number of days per year. If you are really bad off, take short term disability.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Waaaiit a second, can I get short term disability for this?
After what I heard about you guys and the bathrooms at your office, please, for the love of all that is good in the world...take time off when you have gas!

I think Chaos is making the right choice, just take enough to feel like you are using them for reasonable reasons and then revel in the fact that you won't have to worry about it in...just 6 SHORT MONTHS!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Not to hijack the thread but it's interesting to hear the various sick-time policies represented here. My mega corp expected us to be at work unless we were truly sick. We got time off as needed for sickness/hospitalization Dr./Dentist, etc. However, the policy also included an expectation that one would not miss more than a given % of time within a year. Exceeding this % could cost a promotion or raise. Over time, the percentage shrunk from 4% to 2%. At one time, single absences due to significant (and documented) illness/injury were not treated as "harshly". However, toward the end of my c@reer, the company always pointed to its ever shrinking absents rate (about 1.5%) and expected folks to get with the program. So, during cold and flu season, my work group often sounded like a TB ward. Everyone got sick - just sick enough to make everyone else sick. But, by George, we didn't miss much work. Folks used vacation time for Dr. visits and even operations. So, once I knew that I wouldn't need to worry about a raise or promo for the next year, heh, heh, I have to admit to playing "hookey" a couple of days. 'Course, I also worked on my portfolio, check book and other personal stuff at my desk that last few months too. I almost hoped someone would say something about my attendance or work "ethic", but they never did.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
After what I heard about you guys and the bathrooms at your office, please, for the love of all that is good in the world...take time off when you have gas!
This should gross you out. One guy here who is notorious for flatulence issues would run into a female coworker's office, drop a stink bomb, laugh, then run out. That, my friends, crosses a line. Jovial jesting a la Larry Curly Moe is ok, but farting in another's personal workspace repeatedly and with knowledge that the ventilation is poor is simply malicious.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #38

Not making this up. Years ago, at the headquarters of a national convenience store chain, the place used some modular offices that had columns of holes in the walls for hanging shelving. A couple of guys -- I dunno what they had for lunch -- but it must have been pretty bad. The lady in the adjoining office actually made a complaint to HR and the boss had to call them in and counsel them for the unacceptable level of flatulence.

I sat in the office next to the boss and knew something was "up" because he rarely closed his door, but he did for this conversation. The two guys said the boss could hardly keep a straight face. I can imagine. Wonder how this was written up by HR.

Appologies for going off topic.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Not making this up. Years ago, at the headquarters of a national convenience store chain, the place used some modular offices that had columns of holes in the walls for hanging shelving. A couple of guys -- I dunno what they had for lunch -- but it must have been pretty bad. The lady in the adjoining office actually made a complaint to HR and the boss had to call them in and counsel them for the unacceptable level of flatulence.

I sat in the office next to the boss and knew something was "up" because he rarely closed his door, but he did for this conversation. The two guys said the boss could hardly keep a straight face. I can imagine. Wonder how this was written up by HR.
That stinks!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post

Appologies for going off topic.
I'm following in your wake...
Back when we were allowed to have fun at w*rk, I was President of an approved Social Activities Committee that would host an Annual Chili Cookoff during the lunch period. We would get volunteers (employees) to make chili for judging by the attendees and awarded prizes. We sold hot dogs (yes with onions) and soda and beer to finance the next event.
I would get the Committee members ROFL about the thought of what the w*rkplace would be like that afternoon.