Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of the people in my office think that if you "earned it" that you should use every bit of your sick leave. If you allowed them to earn 20 days a year they would use every day of it and not think twice about it. Seems like they don't understand that it is supposed to be there as a safety net in case of some sort of medical necessity - injury, severe illness, surgery, etc.

I think this goes hand-in-hand with spenders vs. savers. I bet most "savers" keep some sick time "just in case" and most spenders use it almost as quickly as they earn it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Abounds View Post
I think this goes hand-in-hand with spenders vs. savers. I bet most "savers" keep some sick time "just in case" and most spenders use it almost as quickly as they earn it.
I have noticed that trend as well at my company with vacation days. Those who are perpetually broke are also perpetually running out of vacation time, so that when a true emergency comes up, they are scrambling to figure out how to take time off from work. In contrast, I let mine build up to the max, knowing that if/when I leave, I can cash it all out. This way, I could always take off with pay if a family emergency or illness happened unexpectedly. Or take a long vacation if I wanted to.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I fall in the camp that sick days are for when you are sick and no other reason. However, that does include essential medical appointments as I do not believe employees should be forced to take personal time to go to the dentist or the Dr. I don't see that we have earnt this sick leave, to me it is more of a insurance policy in case something does go wrong rather than being an entitlement.

Last company I worked at changed their sick leave policy due to the abuse by a certain group of employees. We had a generous policy, 12 days a year accrued with no cap on how much you could accrue. We had employees who had been there for 5 years but had managed to burn thru all their sick leave. In 2007 it was changed to 5 days sick leave accrued a year with a maximum allowable of 96 hours. The strangest thing was one of the chief offenders who had abused the sick leave in previous years got pneumonia and due to his previous actions had to go on unpaid leave as he had burnt thru all his leave. Management did not feel the need to go out on a limb and pay him as we all knew he had been abusing the system.

A previous place of employment, I had someone in my section who had breast cancer. A lot of us donated our sick leave time to this employee as obviously she quickly exhausted her entitlement.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I have had a few ant/grasshopper debates with some here who use every day of vacation as soon as they receive it. Occasionally something will come up where they decide they have a legitimate need to take more time off than they have in vacation time (giving birth, visiting family for xmas, etc). Then they look to me and say "don't you have a bunch of weeks of vacation saved up? Isn't it only fair to give me 4 hrs or 8 hrs so I can be with my baby or family?". My polite response is "I have plans to use that vacation time so I can't really spare any at this point". Factually accurate and effectively evasive as well.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #45

My employer never could figure out a consistent policy on accumulating sick leave. One administration would want a change and negotiate something that made them feel good, a few years later another administration would be outraged by the old policy and demand a change, and that game continued over the years. At the time I left, the policy was to either give us a check for the value of the time when we retired, or allow a small percentage of people to "burn" the time prior to retirement. I opted for the latter and got a 2 1/2 year paid vacation before my retirement was finalized.

Nobody was left holding the bag because the day I started burning time they declared my position vacant and filled by promotion.

I did leave without using some "use or lose" training days, but I made the decision to leave quickly and was still in the process of implementing some policy and tactics changes that I wanted to see completed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...host an Annual Chili Cookoff during the lunch period. We would get volunteers (employees) to make chili for judging by the attendees and awarded prizes...
I would get the Committee members ROFL about the thought of what the w*rkplace would be like that afternoon.
So, are you saying there was some gastric distress? Why would chili cause....oh, no. Please tell me you guys didn't allow beans in your chili!

Chili Appreciation Society International Rule I A 2: NO FILLERS IN CHILI - Beans, macaroni, rice, hominy, or other similar ingredients are not permitted.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
...got a 2 1/2 year paid vacation before my retirement was finalized.

...So, are you saying there was some gastric distress? Why would chili cause....oh, no. Please tell me you guys didn't allow beans in your chili!

Chili Appreciation Society International Rule I A 2: NO FILLERS IN CHILI - Beans, macaroni, rice, hominy, or other similar ingredients are not permitted.
Nice deal on the sick leave. A well played hand.

And yes, even though we had some folks from different parts of the country participating, there were beans in most of the chili concoctions.
I personally didn't know about beanless chili until I went to San Antonio for travel and had some really great chili at Dick's Last Resort on the Riverwalk. The waitress explained it all to me. She was a hoot.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I personally didn't know about beanless chili until I went to San Antonio for travel and had some really great chili at Dick's Last Resort on the Riverwalk. The waitress explained it all to me. She was a hoot.
Real chili with a side order of insults. Welcome to Texas...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #48

Similar situation recently in my part time Adult School job. Got the pink slip and had use it or lose it days accumulated. I just let them go and didn't think twice about it until now. Couldn't see depriving my students of the pleasure of my instruction just to stay home a couple of nights a week.