Taking A Horse To Work

ag4gt

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am going to retire July 1 after 34 years and a few months. I have been thinking about taking a horse to work with me…just so there could be a whole horse at work at least once!
What do you think of the idea?

I asked a similar question when I ER'ed in January. I think was Nords' reply... went something like this:

On your first day of retirement, sit in a beach chair in the company parking lot, in your bathrobe with a large coffee, sunglasses and the morning paper. Wave to the poor bastards headed in to work.

BUM :D

ag4gt said:
I am going to retire July 1 after 34 years and a few months.  I have been thinking about taking a horse to work with me…just so there could be a whole horse at work at least once!
What do you think of the idea?

I wouldn't do it.  Might upset their equinlibrium.

JG

BTW congrats on your pending ER. When I was as close as you are to ER, I used to pray, "God please don't take me NOW!"

BUM said:
I asked a similar question when I ER'ed in January. I think was Nords' reply...
I wish I had said it, but you can be sure I will!

Anyway you'd have to get up early, fight rush hour, and then deal with the aftermath of the riot. I think you have better things to do with your spouse, er, time.

I favor the stealth departure where co-workers look up from their terminals a couple months later and ask "Say, where's good 'ol whatsizname been?  How much longer do you think it'll take him to finish that spreadsheet he promised to get to me?" 

I never saw a horse at work, but a few of their asses showed up...

Whats that old saying? You work with three kinds of people: show horses, work horses, and horses asses...and the latter usually ends up in management...?

On my last day I was working MY ass off to get a report in the hands of a partner who was inheriting a nasty case from me.  My partners had been too nice to snide with the beach chair idea (most of them).  They actually got me a very nice sport kayak for retirement instead of the traditional watch or some object related to golf.  It was the first time a kayak had been portaged into that country club (during the course of my very nice retirement dinner.)  They are not nice enough to make me consider going back, however!! 

windsurf said:
On my last day I was working MY ass off to get a report in the hands of a partner who was inheriting a nasty case from me.  My partners had been too nice to snide with the beach chair idea (most of them).  They actually got me a very nice sport kayak for retirement instead of the traditional watch or some object related to golf.  It was the first time a kayak had been portaged into that country club (during the course of my very nice retirement dinner.)  They are not nice enough to make me consider going back, however!! 

You know, I never had a retirement dinner, and now that I think of it
my departure (s) was/were so unconventional that it would have
been pretty hard to set up. I did have a few final "toddies" or
lunches with friends mostly long gone now. The only time I was
"honored" in any meaningful way was upon the end of my term as President of our local "manufacturing association" in Michigan.
Had lunch at the country club and I was presented with an
original oil painting of the local harbor/marina. It's hanging on the wall as I type. That kind of got to my heart. I suspect most folks
just said "I'm glad the SOB is gone!" :)

JG

BUM said:
On your first day of retirement, sit in a beach chair in the company parking lot, in your bathrobe with a large coffee, sunglasses and the morning paper. Wave to the poor bastards headed in to work.

BUM,

Actually, that particular suggestion came from me, but I have no problem in sharing the idea with Nords. :D

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=1741.msg26825#msg26825

Now that I'm sitting here enjoying my first morning of retirement (man, that has a nice ring!), it appears I'm losing some of my enthusiasm for the idea. Why on earth would I want to do that commute again, even if it was for the express purpose of gloating and getting some small measure of revenge... :D

REW, no longer workin' for the man

BTW, the company had a nice little going away in the caffeteria for me yesterday afternoon. Said some nice things and asked me to say a few words. Told them many people had said "stay in touch", and the best way to do that would be gather in one of their meeting rooms, dim the lights down low, stand in a circle and hold a seance. Promised I would try my best to contact them from "the other side"..... :D

REW

ReW,

You're going to love waking up Tuesday morning knowing you don't have to "rush" off to work. I remember that I was actually giddy for the first few months. I just want to wish you contratulations and many fun days ahead of you.

LL

Back
Top Bottom