Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Taking and Early Retirement Questionnaire for ESRBob's new book?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob
Bosco's right -- he is the all-time high scorer, which means he had better get out of the job quickly or my whole questionnaire goes out the window Actually, he's scheduled to leave in a few months - maybe people are even _more_ ready for ER in the months before they pull the plug than they are once they're free?

To all those still waiting for questionnaires, thanks and I'll get to them soon, but got a bit overwhelmed there for awhile. (and 'had' to spend the day sculpting today, too)

Gee that must mean I don't get a gold star? I already have the chest to pin it on. :

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #22

Send me one too. I would be happy to file one out for you.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you still looking for people to critique the actual questionnaire? Or are you waiting to disseminate it among the Board population? Either way, I would love to help. Whenever I get into a discussion with anyone about retirement, I always refer them to your first book!
Old 02-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #24

Just wanted to stop in here and say it's a fun and easy questionnaire, and not really privacy-invasive at all...doesn't ask what your NW is, or anything like that. More it's about your habits and attitudes and preferences.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #25

I have not gotten it yet.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Bob,

I'd be happy to fill one out if you still need people. I have my siblings reading your book now.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:58 PM   #27

Go ahead and add me to the list to receive a survey...
Old 02-25-2007, 06:55 AM   #28

Moorebonds, SecondCor and Almost Done. Thx -- I have been away on a quality of life break (a week in the sun without the web or email) and will get these out to you in the next day or so- thx for your interest and support. I think I have my calibrations pretty well set at this point, and have made a number of tweaks to the questions, too, based on people's feedback here.

I expect to have other things to 'road-test' from this upcoming workbook, and will ask for the collective ER community's help here.

For anyone curious and who took the test -- your results may vary as the test went through scoring and other revisions, including making it more singles-friendly. The idea was to match your self-assessment at the beginning, (whether you felt you were just starting out, moving steadily along the road or there/nearly there) with the points score from your answers. In almost all cases these lined up within pretty clear bands -- those under about 15 were all clearly thinking of themselves as 'newbies', and those above about 30 were generally pretty well-prepared to pull the plug.

The differences came up around the home equity question -- often people with a lot of home appreciation showed up with strong financials, but did not in fact feel they had sufficient savings to semi-retire yet since so much of it was tied up in the house. Valid point, and the new questionnaire tries to be more nuanced in how that is calculated.

One interesting point was that people who are just about the pull the plug frequently had some of the highest scores -- the "want-to" signals were all high, the financials in place, but they sometimes still feel stuck in place -- the phenomenon I think of as dancing around on the side of the pool trying to work up the courage to jump in. (I've been there -- it is a normal and healthy emotion, I think, to taking on something relatively risky). It suggests to me that any number of semi-retirement 'toe in, and then walk slowly down the steps getting used to the feel" approaches could help people get started without the full shock to the system of jumping straight in. (You can see who's been swimming this week ;-)

Thx again to all who responded.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #29

Send me one too, be glad to add my journey!

RE2Boys