Join Early Retirement Today

Talk About Motivation
Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Talk About Motivation

There's nothing like a funeral to reaffirm the need to ER. We had all left the company approx. 8 years ago due to a nationwide reorganization/pending acquisition. Well, 8 years later, it's safe to say that none of us was looking any younger/better.

I have to find a way out of my corporate prison. So close...but so far away.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hear that. In the past 3 years, two business acquaintances that I worked with closely for years and one relative (all males) have passed away. All in their late 50's or early 60's.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I really should not complain because I am only 38 and my job is not that bad other than only one 3% COLA in 6 of 7 years, but I am desperate to retire as soon as possible because I can see and feel the damage that a 40+ hour a week desk job is doing to me. The building where I work if depressing too; no one has gotten a raise for years, the pension system is in bad shape, and employee apathy and depression are high. Lots of co-workers have died or gotten cancer recently, some of them not much older than I. I am starting to get spooked about dying at work, or at least before I get to retire, because I see it way too much at work.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my college classmates died this weekend. He was struck by a train in Burbank, CA. He was a 37 year old fitness instructor and actor. Life can be so short. Seize it.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
I really should not complain because I am only 38 and my job is not that bad other than only one 3% COLA in 6 of 7 years, but I am desperate to retire as soon as possible because I can see and feel the damage that a 40+ hour a week desk job is doing to me. The building where I work if depressing too; no one has gotten a raise for years, the pension system is in bad shape, and employee apathy and depression are high. Lots of co-workers have died or gotten cancer recently, some of them not much older than I. I am starting to get spooked about dying at work, or at least before I get to retire, because I see it way too much at work.
If it's any consolidation, the male life expectancy in the U.S. is 77.4 years. Isn't it nice that the odds of living a full life are very good for you.

If you're dissatisfied at work, you have plenty of time to change jobs or professions. Now's the time for you to think about living, not dying.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
One of my college classmates died this weekend. He was struck by a train in Burbank, CA. He was a 37 year old fitness instructor and actor. Life can be so short. Seize it.
No kidding. But do be a bit careful seizing it.

Your classmate's story was national news.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Health was certainly a big motivator. My MIL contracted heart disease. My father got Parkinson's less than 10 yrs into retirement. My mother had a knee replaced. A college buddy got a hip replaced. I got a bout of arthritis (gone now). I remember reading, in the lab newspaper, that someone passed away a couple months after retirement.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
If it's any consolidation, the male life expectancy in the U.S. is 77.4 years. Isn't it nice that the odds of living a full life are very good for you.

If you're dissatisfied at work, you have plenty of time to change jobs or professions. Now's the time for you to think about living, not dying.
Get busy living, or get busy dying. - Shawshank Redemption

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote