Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,087
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Censor me unnecessarily please.
It was good for me, was is good for you?

__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,408
Re: Talking about "it"

well since its my article current running in money magazine in the makeover column i have to tell you my first reaction was i didnt want that info displayed for all to see...but then when i really thought about the well why not? i really coudnt come up with a valid answere...as long as it was in the interest of those people who read the magazine and these kind of articles to read them to get ideas,and to see how others are doing it i saw nothing wrong....i wouldnt just blab it around the office but in the interest of helping interested people or getting better ideas from others for myself ,it was all a go....
__________________

__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-18-2006, 11:42 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Talking about "it"

its always good for me.

Dont make me post a really, really long link...

__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sheryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,459
Re: Talking about "it"

Good topic (does anyone mind if I go back to it? : )

The only people I talk to about how much $ I have are my S.O. and my Dad.

I don't mind discussing things generally here, but don't feel a need to spell out my exact net worth. Anyone who REALLY wanted to know could piece it together from various posts, but who cares that much?

I don't talk about "it" IRL because (a) friends resent it, (b) partners worry I will be quitting soon (c) coworkers and friends constantly give me grief about being "cheap," living in a small, old, somewhat run-down house, and driving a 9 yr-old Toyota when I have plenty of money to upgrade.

The obvious answer is, "But if I did that, then I wouldn't HAVE plenty of money, now would I?" This somehow just does not compute. It seems to be impossible for about 80% of the people I know to understand that if you spend less, you save more, and then you have more.

__________________
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Talking about "it"

I tried "show you mine if you'll show me yours" here when i first joined up years ago, figuring "whats the big deal".

Posted my name, where I used to work, how much money I had, etc.

No takers. Ended up just deleting it.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Outtahere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,677
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl

coworkers and friends constantly give me grief about being "cheap,"

The obvious answer is, "But if I did that, then I wouldn't HAVE plenty of money, now would I?" This somehow just does not compute. It seems to be impossible for about 80% of the people I know to understand that if you spend less, you save more, and then you have more.
Sheryl I run into that every day, they don't get it and never will. They've stopped asking because they don't like my answers.
__________________

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 10:10 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SteveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,803
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
well since its my article current running in money magazine in the makeover column i have to tell you my first reaction was i didnt want that info displayed for all to see...but then when i really thought about the well why not?* *i really coudnt come up with a valid answere...as long as it was in the interest of those people who read the magazine and these kind of articles to read them to get ideas,and to see how others are doing it i saw nothing wrong....i wouldnt just blab it around the office but in the interest of helping interested people or getting better ideas from others for myself ,it was all a go....
I respect your decision to have your information posted and discussed in a public periodical but it would never be my choice to do so. Having my personal financial information out there for my boss, co-workers, family and friends to see would only create more "expectations" than I already receive for financial "considerations". I don't mind buying dinner out every once in a while for the whole family (14 people), or the occasional round of drinks with co-workers or friends but when they "expect" it beause of my net worth then that is when I have an issue with sharing this kind of information. I have already had to deal with family asking for money because they are in over their head and think I can "afford" to pay off their debt for them. No thanks....you got yourself in... get yourself out. I did it by myself years ago and no one gave me a dime. You learn a lot more by learning to do it than if someone just gives you a chunk of money to take care of it.

Maybe if this place was under lock and key except to authorized members I would feel more inclined to share more financial information but as it is anyone that knows me could determine from information in my past posts who I am. Because this is public forum you don't know who is "shopping" around for information on you.

__________________
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: Talking about "it"

My real name is "Justin". I don't mind disclosing some information on these forums as long as it is sufficiently vague or misleading as to be useless.

Of course, everyone must realize that I lie about half the stuff I post, and I don't tell the truth about the other half.
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
SteveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,803
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
My real name is "Justin".* I don't mind disclosing some information on these forums as long as it is sufficiently vague or misleading as to be useless.

Of course, everyone must realize that I lie about half the stuff I post, and I don't tell the truth about the other half.*
So, were you telling the truth in your post or were you telling a lie? Seems like a logic theroem.
__________________
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 10:59 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
So, were you telling the truth in your post or were you telling a lie? Seems like a logic theroem.
I always lie.

(ponder that statement for a moment).


(ok, stop pondering. It's a paradox.)


__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Talking about "it"

Going deep here...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mudd.jpg (11.8 KB, 82 views)
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Talking about "it"

Harcourt Fenton Mudd!!
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
cute fuzzy bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Losing my whump
Posts: 22,697
Re: Talking about "it"

Excellent!

And if you remember that much, you'll remember that Mudds androids were 'defeated' when Spock told them that he always lies, and then said "I am lying", or something to that effect. They became locked in the logic loop and locked up.
__________________
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
Excellent!

And if you remember that much, you'll remember that Mudds androids were 'defeated' when Spock told them that he always lies, and then said "I am lying", or something to that effect.* They became locked in the logic loop and locked up.
I hate when that happens to my androids.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sheryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,459
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Maybe if this place was under lock and key except to authorized members I would feel more inclined to share more financial information but as it is anyone that knows me could determine from information in my past posts who I am.* Because this is public forum you don't know who is "shopping" around for information on you.*
I considered recommending this forum to a woman a know who FIRED at 55.* She would fit right in (Intelligent, cynical, and from Minnesota) but I have hesitated, because I thought it might limit the details I post...* *Sounds stupid when you think about it, though.
__________________
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I considered recommending this forum to a woman a know who FIRED at 55. She would fit right in (Intelligent, cynical, and from Minnesota) but I have hesitated, because I thought it might limit the details I post... Sounds stupid when you think about it, though.
I have the same reservations about sharing this website with others at work or in my family. I would lose a certain degree of anonymity here.
__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 166
Re: Talking about "it"

Steve R-
I totally concur with your thinking - Unfortunately there are too many people - family, friends and acquaintances - who really think nothing of using up other people's money in one way or another. *Years ago a good friend asked us to co-sign a loan for her. *Knew it's not a good idea so told her no. *She got insulted. *Pretty nervy. *We are raising our kids to respect money and to learn how to EARN it, have always talked about family finances at dinner table - it has seemed to work.

Sheryl- *I hold back too much on giving out info on here as it is (yes - I AM paranoid) I'm trying to work on this. *Anyway, *I too have thought of recommending this venue to my (like-minded) sister but then I would be even more reluctant to post private info. *This is my forum and I'm not ready to share * - plus I wouldn't want to get negative feedback about it * *that would make me mad * * I guess I'm trying to say I totally see your point *

CFB - I'm so scared I'm shaking *- not another pole poll about "it" *

Anyway, guys - it's fun to "hang" with you all - and it's nice that people understand that not everyone is comfortable with being dis--clothed *
I mean disclosed! *

Have a great day!
Jane
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
Jane_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
free4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,225
Re: Talking about "it"

I try to remain anonymous here for all the reasons mentioned above... don't want people to jump to the conclusion that because I have a big wad of money that they can have a part of it. I am generous but it only works if I give when I want to, not because it's expected of me.

I figure this board is about finances, so I haven't held back in posting my financial details, right in my first post in fact. But the flipside is that I sometimes don't feel comfortable revealing personal details (even when they are relevant to my financial decisions) due to concern that I will be "identified" by someone I know.

__________________
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Re: Talking about "it"

Well, if some masochist read every one of my posts, and pieced it all together, they'd have a lot of relatively vague ballpark numbers, would know I live somewhere near Dallas, know what type of company I work for, and would have read lots of bad jokes/puns/wisecracks...

But, to paraphrase CFB, they still wouldn't know me...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Talking about "it"
Old 02-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #40
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Talking about "it"

Quote:
(except sticking nails into pee-pees and things like that.)

?!?

Excuse me?

dc
I think that refers to this thread.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
talking myself into the benefits of a bear market runchman FIRE and Money 8 03-22-2007 09:42 AM
Starting a business talking to young adults about finances? dandan14 Young Dreamers 38 01-20-2007 09:37 PM
Talking on Cell phones while driving is todays biggest problem on the Highways.. Cut-Throat Other topics 40 12-13-2006 02:26 PM
Who is my computer talking to? BOBOT Other topics 22 10-17-2006 09:32 AM
Your kids may not be talking to you, but... Nords Other topics 7 04-06-2005 11:56 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.