Tax day brings deadly car accidents

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
More people die in auto accidents on income tax day in the U.S. than on other comparable days -- about 13 more per day, in fact, according to Canadian researchers who studied 30 years of data.

The pressure of the looming Internal Revenue Service tax deadline -- and the fact that about 20 percent of all taxpayers wait until the last minute to file -- may contribute to a 6 percent higher risk of dying as a driver, passenger or even a pedestrian on tax day, which this year is next Tuesday, April 17.​
Yep, death and taxes...

Vitals - Deadly car crashes spike 6 percent on tax day, study finds

I wonder how many other days are 6% over the average. Could just be a statistical anomaly.

20% wait until the last day? Not sure I believe this, especially with e-filing, but I suppose it could be. I googled it and saw a few references that say 20-25% wait until April to file. I'm in that camp if I owe, but I usually file a week or so ahead of time, just so there's no worry of a last minute issue preventing me from doing it.

I wonder how many other days are 6% over the average. Could just be a statistical anomaly.

20% wait until the last day? Not sure I believe this, especially with e-filing, but I suppose it could be. I googled it and saw a few references that say 20-25% wait until April to file. I'm in that camp if I owe, but I usually file a week or so ahead of time, just so there's no worry of a last minute issue preventing me from doing it.

If you e-file then you can chose the exact day that the payment will go out of your bank, so there is no need to wait until the last week.

As e-filing increases, surely the numbers of last minute paper filers and car wrecks will decrease, if it is late filers that are the cause of the statistical spike on this date each year.

With all of us that have investment portfolios often containing dividend paying-stocks and capital gain-dispursing ETFs/REITs/others, I'd be surprised if many file early, given that you are technically supposed to refile if you receive a revised 1099, due to a stock/fund reclassifying a distribution.

I recall one year I received a revised 1099 DATED 4/10 (not postmarked 4/10, but dated 4/10) from TD Ameritrade. I had always waited until the last day to file because of possible revisions to my 1099s, but that one year made me realize that I should always wait until the last minute - I still have all my number crunching done, I just wait until the last day to verify the Interest/Cap Gains figures haven't changed (although these days, the Cap Gains can't change, given my huge carryover loss I'm slowly using up over time :mad:)

With all of us that have investment portfolios often containing dividend paying-stocks and capital gain-dispursing ETFs/REITs/others, I'd be surprised if many file early, given that you are technically supposed to refile if you receive a revised 1099, due to a stock/fund reclassifying a distribution.
Last year I filed in August.

Damn K-1s.

I don't think I have filed in April for at least 20 years. There is no discount for filing early, and now we have until October 15. That allows some Roth conversion strategies that otherwise might require filing an amended return.

With today's low interest rates, I am not even in a hurry if they owe me a substantial amount. Just apply it to estimated taxes of the current year, and you won't have to send a check for that until your refund is used up.

Ha

REWahoo's post aroused my curiosity on other big days as well, like the Election Day.

The study authors analyzed data about fatal accidents, focusing on presidential election days from 1976 to 2004. They looked specifically at accidents during polling hours -- 8 a.m. to 7:59 p.m. -- and then looked at the fatality numbers for the Tuesdays immediately before and after the elections.

The findings were published in a letter in the Oct. 1 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.

A total of 3,417 people were killed in car accidents -- including pedestrians -- on the eight election days and 16 comparison Tuesdays.

The risk of death on election days was 18 percent higher than the other days, or 158 deaths per day versus 134 deaths per day. The researchers estimated that resulted in an extra 189 deaths over the period studied.
Here is the kicker:

The ultimate winner of the presidential election -- Democrat or Republican -- didn't affect the fatality rates.
Traffic Deaths Spike on Election Day - Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

I always file early. If I'm due a refund I want my money ASAP. If I owe, I can still wait until April 15 to mail the check, notwithstanding when I filed the return.

Back
Top Bottom