Join Early Retirement Today

Tax-deductible lap dances
Old 12-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tax-deductible lap dances

I don't know if anyone has been following the sad tale of Robert McCormick, who was just trying to be a good businessman entertaining his clients with a night on the town and ended up being hit with a $241,000 American Express charge statement.

A thrifty consumer, McCormick (now the ex-CEO) says that he only spent $20K. I can see how that would happen in a strip club, especially if you're not careful with the tits tips.

It appears that the Mother of All Chargebacks has been successfully negotiated to a settlement. Sure hope you're not holding shares in Savvis, Inc.

I think the best part of the article is the author's keen sense of sarcasm...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Tax-deductible lap dances
Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've attended several M&A closings that were held in strip clubs. The entire "experience" (including the flat rate for the women assigned to the private party) was deducted as food/entertainment expenses associated with the transaction.

I don't know about you, but absent a "happy ending" a visit to a strip club to relieve the pressure from months of negotiations would seem to be counter-productive.

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I've attended several M&A closings that were held in strip clubs.* The entire "experience" (including the flat rate for the women assigned to the private party) was deducted as food/entertainment expenses associated with the transaction.

I don't know about you, but absent a "happy ending" a visit to a strip club to relieve the pressure from months of negotiations would seem to be counter-productive.
I'm just not going to touch, so to speak, any of those setups in that post. And that's independent of your definition of the term "straight man".

TH? Cut-Throat? Jarhead? Anyone else?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you referring to the success/failure of the merger; or to whether or not the stripper gave you the "Full Meal Deal".

Ha
Old 12-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm just not going to touch, so to speak, any of those setups in that post.* And that's independent of your definition of the term "straight man".

TH?* Cut-Throat?* Jarhead?* Anyone else?
I knew there would be someone who would start...

One caveat to my annecdote -- the closings were during the heyday of the dot-com boom, where everyone looked the other way as long as the money kept flowing.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 12-28-2005, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
I've attended several M&A closings that were held in strip clubs.* The entire "experience" (including the flat rate for the women assigned to the private party) was deducted as food/entertainment expenses associated with the transaction.
It may have been deducted, but if the amounts were excessive, they were probably not deductible. The IRS doesn't allow deductions for expenses that could be deemed more personal in nature than business.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
It may have been deducted, but if the amounts were excessive, they were probably not deductible.* The IRS doesn't allow deductions for expenses that could be deemed more personal in nature than business.
Assuming there was a "happy ending", I doubt things could get any more personal than that...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #8

Ugh, another hooker-like thread :P
Old 12-28-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Ugh, another hooker-like thread* :P
I'm pretty sure that's not a tax-deductible entertainment expense...

Old 12-28-2005, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's not a tax-deductible entertainment expense...
Not too sure. You got someone working on a laptop.
It's arguable.

JG
Old 12-28-2005, 06:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
TH? Cut-Throat? Jarhead? Anyone else?
Nah, i'm not into the cheap and easy today.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:12 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

This just encourages thinking inside the box... :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

« PCRIX | Invasion »