Join Early Retirement Today

Tax question
Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tax question

I was under impression that in 2012 capital gains are %15, but I think I was wrong, so I am looking for smart people advise.

Say you had income ~100K in 2012 and you also had ~300K in long term capital gains.

How much roughly you should pay in taxes to the Fed and say California?

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming you take the standard deduction, Taxcaster says you would owe $71K in Federal income tax if you are single, and about $67K if you are married filing jointly (you'd be in AMT territory).

I don't have an estimate for California but CA taxes long term capital gains the same as regular income. Looks like most of your $400K income would be taxed at 9.3%.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Assuming you take the standard deduction, Taxcaster says you would owe $71K in Federal income tax (AMT) if you are single, and about $67K if you are married filing jointly.
Nice and plus state I assume? Does it make sense to you?

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
Nice and plus state I assume? Does it make sense to you?
I edited my previous post to add some info regarding state taxes.

Once we get in AMT territory, not much makes sense to me anymore to be honest.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote