Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Taxes - Takes Too Much Time - 25 Hours So Far!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
By the way what are people paying to do their taxes this year..we already know that Justin sprang for some snacks, cold beverages, paper, pencil and stamps...

How about the rest
$1.56 - copies of federal and state tax returns at 6 cents per page.
$2.46 - first class postage at the post office.

A little bit for paper and inkjet ink. Call it $4 even.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
By the way what are people paying to do their taxes this year..we already know that Justin sprang for some snacks, cold beverages, paper, pencil and stamps...

How about the rest
I use TurboTax with e-file ($35) for my federal tax form, and filled out and filed my state tax electronically for free through the Louisiana Dept of Revenue website. Printer paper and ink were probably about $0.10 .

Until a couple of years ago I used to do my taxes by hand. I feel a little guilty about spending the money on TurboTax, but it is kind of fun and definitely faster for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:57 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
$1.56 - copies of federal and state tax returns at 6 cents per page.
$2.46 - first class postage at the post office.

A little bit for paper and inkjet ink. Call it $4 even.

2Cor521
Hmm.....$1.56+c$2.46c+ " a little bit" =$4.00
Did you use the same rounding method on the tax forms?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stuck all the info. in a manilla folder when it arrived in the mail (w-2's, 1099s, etc.)

Borrowed the software.

Minimal cost for paper and envelope, printer and ink.

Two (2) thirty-nine cent stamps. One for Fed. One for state.

Imported all of the info from last years and filled in what changed. Maybe 20 min. 10 min. more to get the signatures. All to get MY money back.

Now I'm gonna adjust my withholdings. The IRS can loan me money for awhile.

-CC
Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I was glad when my wife sold her portion of the family farm because that meant I not longer had to deal with a K-1 and a 1099G.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:00 AM   #26

Almost finished with mine. Won't owe a thing as usual, but have lost many precious hours of my life to this stupidity. At least I got rid of the last of my PFICs last year, so no more Forms 8621 for me from next year. Yay! Also reduced the number of open accounts, so Form TD F 9022.1 will become a lot shorter. What a ridiculous requirement, to have to report the existence of foreign accounts -- what fricking business is it of theirs anyway where I have my money, as long as I report the income from it?

For that matter, why should I have to file tax returns to some country I don't even live in? Grrrrrrrr. It is almost tolerable now because if I dot the i's, cross the t's, and look both ways before crossing the street, I at least don't end up actually owing anything. If that ever changes though...

Just thank goodness it will all be over soon for another year.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Also reduced the number of open accounts, so Form TD F 9022.1 will become a lot shorter. What a ridiculous requirement, to have to report the existence of foreign accounts -- what fricking business is it of theirs anyway where I have my money, as long as I report the income from it?
You need to start keeping less than $10k overseas and you wouldn't have to report. Haven't been able to keep it under that mark myself, but at least the 9022.1 isn't due until June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
For that matter, why should I have to file tax returns to some country I don't even live in?
I feel your pain. This year we'll file to 3 countries. US - okay we're citizens. UK - fine we pay tax on what we earned there. But Russia! is 13% of worldwide income. WTH - why are they entitled to 13% of what we make in the UK, UK or wherever. This really, really chaps my hide. This is where that tax equalization comes in handy.
Gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeps
You need to start keeping less than $10k overseas and you wouldn't have to report.
That would be impractical, or at least a much bigger hassle than filing the form. I'd have to be constantly shifting money to and from the US as paychecks came in, while keeping enough on hand to pay the mortgage, utilities, other expenses and for occasional emergencies. Also be kind of hard to buy a car without going over the limit. I also wouldn't feel comfortable having all my retirement savings stuck over in the US -- prefer to keep most of it close to hand.

Quote:
I feel your pain. This year we'll file to 3 countries.
Ouch!

And let me take a wild guess as to which one has the most convoluted, opaque tax code...

Quote:
US - okay we're citizens.
Here I disagree that it is ok. If the US were maintaining the infrastructure where I live, providing protection (besides that which I already pay for through my Japanese taxes -- speaking of the US military bases here), or providing any other government services, I could see why they would have the right to tax me. I think non-resident citizens should be taxed the same as non-resident aliens, as is done by every other developed nation on the planet. But no, they demand tribute to the Old Country, like some kind of banana republic.

Quote:
UK - fine we pay tax on what we earned there. But Russia! is 13% of worldwide income. WTH - why are they entitled to 13% of what we make in the UK, UK or wherever. This really, really chaps my hide.
I guess the way I figure it, Japan is providing all of the government services and general quality of life for me, so I don't think it is unreasonable to pay taxes to them as a resident (which implies being taxed on worldwide income in many countries, including Japan and, apparently, Russia). If I don't like what I am getting for my money, I can always leave -- after which they would leave me alone, even if I were a citizen. Not so the US.

Quote:
This is where that tax equalization comes in handy.
That must be nice to have.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #29

Fortunately for me, as my taxes have gotten more complex, I have a CPA brother who does it for free and I know it is done correctly. But based on what he's told me, I don't think I could afford his rates.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finished ours last week. That included DD's (she's on the road touring with "Hairspray") which required returns to two different states and our own fed and state returns. I probably spent less than 8 hours in total. I have been using TurboTax for many years. I install it in early January and transfer all of the standard info from the prior year return - time required 15 mins. As each w-2, 1099, etc. arrives in the mail I open TT and go directly to the section of the software for that item and plug in the #'s. At most, 15 mins. per form. The most time is spent on itemized deductions and schedule D but brokerage statement covers most of that. This takes only a couple of hours. Also, I spend about an hours reviewing the results before printing and mailing all the forms (my philosophy is to make the IRS's job as hard as possible by continuing to send in paper returns).

Overall, this does not seem burdensome to me.

Grumpy
Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Took me about 2 hours total, and half of that was what-if'ing.

Dont forget to take your long distance credit...seems many of the "pros" are forgetting to take it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

This is the last year that I had an accountant do it.

Here's the system I've used that has saved me from having to think much. In Quicken I saved all the reports related to taxes in a Taxes folder. I'd then just go through the reports, print them to PDF and send them to the accountant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TaxReports.jpg (28.7 KB, 14 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb TaxReports.jpg_thumb (17.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash
Hmm.....$1.56+c$2.46c+ " a little bit" =$4.00
Did you use the same rounding method on the tax forms?
Oops...math error. Should be more like $4.10, then.

For my federal tax forms, I do all my math to the penny, use a calculator, and do all the calculations at least twice. For my state tax forms, I have to round to the nearest dollar, but I still use a calculator and do all those calculations twice as well.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote