Join Early Retirement Today
Teaching English Abroad
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Teaching English Abroad

Hey everyone. I'm looking to go overseas for a year or two to teach English. I've heard S. Korea and China have a lot of opportunity. Anybody have any recommendations on where to go and how to start the process of applying (graduating in December)? Any other recommendations are welcome! Thanks.

flyeagle111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
#1 son's girlfriend just got a contract for a year teaching English in China. I'll try to find out more.

Age 55, retired July 1, 2012; DW is 59 and working for 4 more years. Current portfolio is 1950K split 50 stocks/20 bonds/30 cash. Renting house, no debts.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I knew a girl who taught in Japan for a year and loved it...

I have heard that some of the old Soviet countries have openings...

If I were to go this direction, the first thing I would do it try to determine where I would want to live and then see if there was any opportunity to get a job at that location...

However, I think that one requirement is that you can speak the native language.... at least enough to get by.... I think that is what the one who taught in Japan said...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
gone traveling
Originally Posted by flyeagle111 View Post
Hey everyone. I'm looking to go overseas for a year or two to teach English.
Just wondering. Do you know/understand the main language of the country of which you expect to "teach"?

I know a bit of French, but I would not like to teach (US) English without knowing and being proficent in the local language (even though I worked for a French company) in my earlier years.

Heck, I know enough "tourist French" to get by, but I would never think that I could be paid to teach English in that country...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe
A friend of ours once commented that she makes enough teaching English in Shanghai for 5 or 6 months a year to cover all of her costs of living very well here on Nevis for the rest of the year.
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
Friend has done this in China every summer for the last few years. He speaks no Chinese. I think you want to look for programs that offer their students total immersion experiences, so you, the instructor, are not expected to speak the native language. (But if you pick some up by "osmosis" so much the better.)
I still don't get it...
BOBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Our neighbor's son taught english in China for 1 year after he graduated from college. He was an international business major and thought the experience would be beneficial. He did not speak much mandaran and that was not required although he did pick up some conversational skills while there.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
My oldest daughter was looking into doing this last year...until she learned she was pregnant. Now she's a stay-at-home mom....
“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
-John F. Kennedy

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Google Dave's ESL board and start reading. There are country specific forums and general forums. You will usually need a certification like CELTA -- this is an intensive 1 month course that you can take in the USA or abroad. Best to take it in your target country.

Asia pays more than the rest of the world. Countries I strongly considered were Taiwan and Turkey. South Korea the most popular and pays well but most don't like it which is why it pays well.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe
Solicit as much firsthand advice as you can.

There are more crummy language schools than good ones.

Research as much as possible on Dave's ESL Cafe and get tips on good schools there.
thatgirlmjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #11
House Hunters International featured an episode where an American went to Korea to teach english. No comment on the teaching english aspect, however they have some extremely funky rental rules there, which if I recall correctly need you to put down significant amounts at the commencement of a lease.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe
Thanks for all of the advice. I've looked at Dave's ESL board and there is some good info. Some of what I've read for those interested:

-S. Korea and China seem to have the most opportunity.
-Studio apartment paid for, along with travel to/from country
-Starting pay in S. Korea from 1,600-2,300/month depending on education/experience
-If you do private lessons, you can earn extra cash on the side.

All in all, it doesn't seem like a bad gig, considering I'm young. I could hopefully pocket 10K for the year, if I spend frugally.

flyeagle111 is offline   Reply With Quote