Tech ?: Keyboard Issue

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Upon smacking the wireless keyboard on the desktop to remove crumbs, I believe I hit a key which has rendered my keyboard inoperable (well sorta). When I try and use the windows commands or try and type something, I get weird characters, or windows pop-up. I believe there's a control key that allows toggling back and forth between some weird Windows command mode and regular keyboard mode. I can't for the life of me remember the command to toggle back. Please help!

Orange flavored metamucil in the keyboard controller, eh? Try taking out the battery and reinserting. If that doesn't fix it, it's probably time for a new keyboard.

It's definitely a hot key/toggle issue. CTRL-Shift shuts the computer down, H minimizes windows, etc. It happened to me before and someone went to my laptop and pressed two buttons and I was back in normal mode.

I'm currently seraching in the bowels of google (with metamucil in hand)...

So, the battery thing didn't work? Should be equivalent to a hard reset of the keyboard controller.

If all else fails call Dell. Thank goodness I'm still within the 90 day purchase. I'm waiting for my call to be routed to offshore. I think my call is out in the Atlantic right now. As I wait, I'm listening to Dell propaganda and quick fix tips like powering down the computer (lol)

I love calling Dell support. "Hi, my name is Prithiharshkrishna, but you can call me Priss."

cube_rat said:
As I wait, I'm listening to Dell propaganda and quick fix tips like powering down the computer (lol)

Actually, that's not a bad idea. If you haven't already, reboot your machine. I've seen Windows get into a funky state with a corrupted key translation table in which it behaves as you're describing.

Well we did all sorts of things. I couldn't even manuever in the BIOS panel. So the end result is they're sending a new (well...refurbished)wireless kit. In the meantime, I'm going to rig my daughter's computer with my current wireless set-up to see if I have the same problem. If the problem exists on her computer, then I'll be convinced a new wireless set-up will work on my computer.

So much for cleaning the bread crumbs out of the keyboard

Back
Top Bottom