Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
Your HD will be better than anything any cable place can produce or want to give you.
Lucky you, to get a knowledgeable and honest technician. Must be rare. It's true that HD over the air is top quality and better than you can get with cable or satellite. (However, the number of available HD channels is smaller.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Already has, but has anyone noticed that a lot of basic cars are base priced with manual transmissions still, with automatics a $1,000+ option? You probably won't find any non-sports car with a manual transmission on a lot anywhere, and they would probably hate to even order one.
Nothing sadder than a modern re-start of a hot sports car (like a Mustang) with a six-speed automatic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I was talking to a 15 Y/O who collects old outboard engines last weekend. His dad has a 67 Chevy. The kid didn't know anything about timing lights and plug gap/valve gauges. Do they get used for anything these days?
Ouch. That one hurt. I guess they're only good for working on '67 Chevys now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I remember that day. I'm on the main floor on the right but I can't find myself in the video. It certainly seems primitive now.
Were you the guy swinging a hammer in such a threatening manner that it inspired a commercial?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Were you the guy swinging a hammer in such a threatening manner that it inspired a commercial?
Naw I was one of the numerous guys drinking the Koolaid, hoping that I could buy two Macs.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've heard that happens often. When I was 15 my Dad was the dumbest idiot east of the Mississippi. By the time I was 20 he sure learned a lot.
Here, here! It absolutely amazed me that during the first couple of years that I was in college that I was studying so darn hard but it was my Dad who was the one getting smarter. During that time, in my eyes he went from dumb to smart as a fox.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I wish they still put them there. It was a lot more convenient than that stupid multi-function stalk thingy.

That way people wouldn't be so prone to drop their coffee, hamburger or cell phone while driving....
I miss the headlight dimmer switch on the floor as well, I liked it better as a driver. They did tend to corrode and malfunction more than the current dimmer on the stalk though.

Also, remember manual shift on the column? or push button automatic transmission controls? Actually I remember one of our cars with an automatic transmission having a short shift lever on the dash that you would move to the left, then move up or down to your desired gear then return to the right.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Actually I remember one of our cars with an automatic transmission having a short shift lever on the dash that you would move to the left, then move up or down to your desired gear then return to the right.
We have one of those on our 2006 Prius. It also has a "Park" button.

When we registered the car the clerk said "Automatic or manual transmission?"
I said "I don't know. It's a continuously variable transmission, and it doesn't really "shift" like other automatic transmissions."
Impatiently she said "It's either automatic or manual."
Belatedly realizing this wasn't a gearhead conversation, I said "Oh, automatic."

We're picking up a 2005 Prius on Thursday and registering it on the way home. Same shifter. Same transmission. Hopefully that same clerk isn't on duty...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When we registered the car the clerk said "Automatic or manual transmission?" ..........
It is a good thing that she didn't ask "gas or electric". That might take 10 minutes to explain the various modes of operation.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
We're picking up a 2005 Prius on Thursday and registering it on the way home. Same shifter. Same transmission. Hopefully that same clerk isn't on duty...
Great choice!

Just remember to say "automatic" and you'll be set.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It is a good thing that she didn't ask "gas or electric". That might take 10 minutes to explain the various modes of operation.
My answer would be "Yes!"

Unfortunately it wouldn't result in me walking out of there with a registration slip, so it'd still be the wrong answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Great choice!
I sure hope so! The price is fair and we were willing to wait the three weeks for them to pack out their possessions and get ready to leave the island.

We'll have to verify that the car is in the same shape as the last time we saw it, but the owner is one of those people who runs to the dealer at the first "Maintenance Required" light or every six months (whichever comes first) and he has the two-inch-thick file to prove it.

The car's material condition may be irrelevant since my spouse has already made the emotional commitment to being a his&hers Prius family. Our 2006 is silver and this 2005 is black, so she's trying to decide between the names "Salt 'n' Pepa" or (my nomination of) "AC/DC" & "Back in Black".

Old 08-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I miss the headlight dimmer switch on the floor as well, I liked it better as a driver. They did tend to corrode and malfunction more than the current dimmer on the stalk though.
Shh! Don't tell my 76 Chevy Monte Carlo. That is one of the few parts I haven't replaced in the last 25+ years.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can imagine a kid watching the movie Apollo 13 and wondering why the guys at mission control are using white rulers to double check the astronaut's math.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #52

Quote:
Nothing sadder than a modern re-start of a hot sports car (like a Mustang) with a six-speed automatic...
That's a dual clutch automatic. In general they have faster acceleration through the gears than a manual tranny and better gas mileage than a single clutch auto. Considerably less soul, however. That probably doesn't matter in the slightest to those raised on video games.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
That's a dual clutch automatic. In general they have faster acceleration through the gears than a manual tranny and better gas mileage than a single clutch auto. Considerably less soul, however. That probably doesn't matter in the slightest to those raised on video games.
Hey, you can still pick classic muscle cars in the latest release of Gran Turismo. And choose "manual transmission" too!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

did anyone post about 8 tracks? I tried to explain to my kid about how the song would fade out and then come back in................
Old 08-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
During a family visit she was freaked out by her grandparent's phone, which was set to pulse dialing. (Grandpa doesn't like to pay the bahstids the extra $1.40/month for touch-tone dialing.)
Quote:
About 10 years ago my Dad asked DS to go into the garage and call someone. The garage had an old rotary phone. DS couldn't figure it out. Once Dad showed him how to dial a number on the rotary phone, DS was fascinated with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
A friend of mine was recently visiting some other friends. He was running late, and asked one of his daughters to call "mom" and let her know they were running late.His daughter got to the the phone, an old on th wall Bell dialer, and did not know how to use it!
Was at their new cottage with youngest grand-daughter and she showed my how to dial her other granma using the dial inside the wooden hand crank Nortel wall phone! Then back home she showed me how she saw her best friend at home when they were both using their iPods on WiFi with Facetime to talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Some stuff gets passed on even though we never used it. I call a refrigerator the ice box. At least I understand the origin.
We had an ice box at the family cottage and knew the iceman personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Hey, you can still pick classic muscle cars in the latest release of Gran Turismo. And choose "manual transmission" too!
But do they ever choose it?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #56

A long while back, a friend had a 33 1/3 yr birthday party. People dressed as (and brought) their favorite record/song/group/singer etc.

I was telling that friend's children about it. Blank stares. 33 1/3
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwest View Post
did anyone post about 8 tracks? I tried to explain to my kid about how the song would fade out and then come back in................
Yours was much better than my friends.... his changed with a CLUNK... no fade out...
Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yours was much better than my friends.... his changed with a CLUNK... no fade out...
Radio on my BMW wagon quit with no clunk or nuttin' one day. Maybe this IS tech the kids understand - turned out the radio (hidden back by the spare tire) sends a signal through the navigation cd player/computer (hidden below the rear side window)and thence to the display unit on the dash (silly me - thought that thing with a screen and knobs and buttons was the radio). If the navigation graphics display (?) gets sick then some other bit of BMW gimmickry, the I-bus, notes that the system is gerflunken and shuts off the radio after 2 minutes. 'Course the car is a 2000, I'm sure things are much better now..
Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I started a tractor with a hand crank last Saturday. And again last Tuesday. I really don't miss that! I have another tractor where you throw over the flywheel. Another fun day followed by an evening of Vitamin I (Ibuprofen).
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Fireball View Post
I started a tractor with a hand crank last Saturday. And again last Tuesday. I really don't miss that! I have another tractor where you throw over the flywheel. Another fun day followed by an evening of Vitamin I (Ibuprofen).
Preferred the Poppin' Johnnies. Open the brass pressure relief on the two cylinders, rotate the flywheel to the proper spot and give it a swing, close pressure reliefs it it started and was rotating the right way. None of that leaning over jazz.