Tech the kids don't understand

Nothing sadder than a modern re-start of a hot sports car (like a Mustang) with a six-speed automatic...
That's a dual clutch automatic. In general they have faster acceleration through the gears than a manual tranny and better gas mileage than a single clutch auto. Considerably less soul, however. That probably doesn't matter in the slightest to those raised on video games.

That's a dual clutch automatic. In general they have faster acceleration through the gears than a manual tranny and better gas mileage than a single clutch auto. Considerably less soul, however. That probably doesn't matter in the slightest to those raised on video games.

Hey, you can still pick classic muscle cars in the latest release of Gran Turismo. And choose "manual transmission" too! :D

did anyone post about 8 tracks? I tried to explain to my kid about how the song would fade out and then come back in................

During a family visit she was freaked out by her grandparent's phone, which was set to pulse dialing. (Grandpa doesn't like to pay the bahstids the extra $1.40/month for touch-tone dialing.)
About 10 years ago my Dad asked DS to go into the garage and call someone. The garage had an old rotary phone. DS couldn't figure it out. Once Dad showed him how to dial a number on the rotary phone, DS was fascinated with it.
A friend of mine was recently visiting some other friends. He was running late, and asked one of his daughters to call "mom" and let her know they were running late.His daughter got to the the phone, an old on th wall Bell dialer, and did not know how to use it!
Was at their new cottage with youngest grand-daughter and she showed my how to dial her other granma using the dial inside the wooden hand crank Nortel wall phone! Then back home she showed me how she saw her best friend at home when they were both using their iPods on WiFi with Facetime to talk.

Some stuff gets passed on even though we never used it. I call a refrigerator the ice box. At least I understand the origin.
We had an ice box at the family cottage and knew the iceman personally.

Hey, you can still pick classic muscle cars in the latest release of Gran Turismo. And choose "manual transmission" too! :D
But do they ever choose it?

A long while back, a friend had a 33 1/3 yr birthday party. People dressed as (and brought) their favorite record/song/group/singer etc.

I was telling that friend's children about it. Blank stares. 33 1/3 :confused:

did anyone post about 8 tracks? I tried to explain to my kid about how the song would fade out and then come back in................

Yours was much better than my friends.... his changed with a CLUNK... no fade out...

Yours was much better than my friends.... his changed with a CLUNK... no fade out...

Radio on my BMW wagon quit with no clunk or nuttin' one day. Maybe this IS tech the kids understand - turned out the radio (hidden back by the spare tire) sends a signal through the navigation cd player/computer (hidden below the rear side window)and thence to the display unit on the dash (silly me - thought that thing with a screen and knobs and buttons was the radio). If the navigation graphics display (?) gets sick then some other bit of BMW gimmickry, the I-bus, notes that the system is gerflunken and shuts off the radio after 2 minutes. 'Course the car is a 2000, I'm sure things are much better now..

I started a tractor with a hand crank last Saturday. And again last Tuesday. I really don't miss that! I have another tractor where you throw over the flywheel. Another fun day followed by an evening of Vitamin I (Ibuprofen).

I started a tractor with a hand crank last Saturday. And again last Tuesday. I really don't miss that! I have another tractor where you throw over the flywheel. Another fun day followed by an evening of Vitamin I (Ibuprofen).

Preferred the Poppin' Johnnies. Open the brass pressure relief on the two cylinders, rotate the flywheel to the proper spot and give it a swing, close pressure reliefs it it started and was rotating the right way. None of that leaning over jazz.

Back
Top Bottom