Techie question - Low cost web host/registration

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone have a recommendation for a low cost web hosting and domain name registration?
txs

Some of my family and I use dotster for domain registration. It's not the cheapest, but it seems to have a good reputation. I really haven't had it long enough or run into any situations to be sure it deserves the reputation.

I went with a VPS for my sites for reasons I won't expand on here, but a shared host will probably offer everything you need and is cheaper than the way I did it. I don't know who's good to go with, but go to http://webhostingtalk.com and read around a bit to get a feel for what's being offered and how much it costs. (Read the Web Hosting Forum unless you want or need a VPS or dedicated server--which I doubt.)

You might watch your PM box, too. I know at least one board member runs a web server and hosts websites.

EDIT: that -> than

You get what you pay for. An account with plentiful features, but on a heavily loaded server can be had for $5-10/month, maybe a bit less. Or about the same for meager features and a reasonably loaded server. Or about double that for an account with a good set of features and a reasonably loaded server. (Features... good control panel, lots of addon functions for no extra, etc.)

Domain names are readily available in the $9 - 15 range/year from many places.

dory36

I used Aplus.net a while ago for domain registration and web hosting. The web site was done using Frontpage and it seemed to integrate with Aplus reasonably well. No complaints.

Take a look at http://myhosting.com/ .  I have used them for several years and have been happy with the service.  They were among the least expensive when I found them.  There may be cheaper but they have kept me happy enough to not inspire a search.

Thanks for the replies. I'm just thinking about getting a domain name and posting things that interest me.
Definately nothing fancy.

Another vote here for Aplus...good service and tech support; no performance problems...I oversee or own about 20 domains there. Very inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom