Join Early Retirement Today

Technology Changing My Library Experience
Old 10-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Technology Changing My Library Experience

Just discovered that I can check out audio books from my library via the internet. Downloads to my computer in 5 minutes. I then transferred it to my MP3 player in under a minute. I'm listening to it now while I type. The download stays active for 21 days. No having to go to the library and then remembering to get it back.
Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been doing this for about a year. Great for the commute to w*rk or for on airplanes, too.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 AM   #3

Me too. Just wish I could use my iPod to listen - haven't figured out how to do it -- and was told at the library that it won't work on iPod. I have to save to CD instead. (What do you use to listen to the downloads?)
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

iPods don't support the 'subscription' format that some of these time-out audio books use.

Seems kind of silly for libraries to use a format that the most popular players do not support. Who do they think their customers are?

But, if you can get it to a regular audio CD, then you could just import it to your iPod (or any player). Worst case, there are programs that capture the audio stream on your computer to a file. You could play it and record it, but it would be in real time. Don't forget to turn off the email sounds, and don't let the kids get on and play shoot-em-up games while you record!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
iPods don't support the 'subscription' format that some of these time-out audio books use.

Seems kind of silly for libraries to use a format that the most popular players do not support. Who do they think their customers are?

-ERD50
he he he, maybe they figure library users opt for the cheaper non-ipod brands!
Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #6

I think it's more a Microsoft issue...the software the library uses needs Windows Media Player to work...whatever. I'll try the CD import to see if I can get the audiobook into the iPod that way....
Old 10-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
Me too. Just wish I could use my iPod to listen - haven't figured out how to do it -- and was told at the library that it won't work on iPod. I have to save to CD instead. (What do you use to listen to the downloads?)
Samsung K3.
I just saved it to file. Works with my Real Player, Samsung Media and Windows Player...seems to be open source. Thought IPOD was open source, surprised it doesn't work on the most popular MP3 player....
Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
he he he, maybe they figure library users opt for the cheaper non-ipod brands!
That's me!...that's why I use libraries instead of bookstores...I went cheap $100
Old 10-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #9

This is from the library's website:

Why can't I transfer OverDrive Audio Book titles directly to my iPod, or use these files on my Mac?

OverDrive Audio Book titles, provided by OverDrive, Inc., use DRM protection technology from Microsoft Corporation. Unfortunately the iPod and Mac do not currently support DRM-protected Windows Media Audio (WMA) files.
OverDrive, along with hundreds of online digital media providers, is hopeful that Apple and Microsoft can reach an agreement that would enable support for Microsoft-based DRM-protected materials on the iPod and Mac.

...in the words of Rodney King: "Why can't we all just get along?"
Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
That's me!...that's why I use libraries instead of bookstores...I went cheap $100
Creative Zen Nano - $20 after rebate. Squeak, squeak.

It is important to note that you need an MP3 player that starts again where you shut it off. Most are designed for 3 minute songs, not 10 hour books.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Creative Zen Nano - $20 after rebate. Squeak, squeak.

It is important to note that you need an MP3 player that starts again where you shut it off. Most are designed for 3 minute songs, not 10 hour books.
K3 remembers
Old 10-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:

Why can't I transfer OverDrive Audio Book titles directly to my iPod, or use these files on my Mac?

OverDrive Audio Book titles, provided by OverDrive, Inc., use DRM protection technology from Microsoft Corporation. Unfortunately the iPod and Mac do not currently support DRM-protected Windows Media Audio (WMA) files.
OverDrive, along with hundreds of online digital media providers, is hopeful that Apple and Microsoft can reach an agreement that would enable support for Microsoft-based DRM-protected materials on the iPod and Mac.

Your right..here's a list of tested players and the explaanation why Ipod & Zune don't work NetLibrary
Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
Your right..here's a list of tested players and the explaanation why Ipod & Zune don't work NetLibrary
Quote:

It's not even a matter of us 'all' getting along. Microsoft can't even get along with ITSELF! This is Microsoft DRM technology, yet the Microsoft ZUNE does not support it!

That is why I keep harping - OPEN STANDARDS.

It's unfortunate that the labels pushed DRM on Apple's iTunes store, but Apple is winning the battle. Lot's of their stuff is now DRM free.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've been checking out the audio book CDs, and converting them to mp3 format, and then I listen to an audio book on my 21 hour drives between TX and VA. I don't know if it's completely legal, but I erase the files after listening to it so it's like having the CDs, only I have it when I want it, and don't need to return it to the library after the trip, especially since I'm 1300 miles away. Plus I don't have to be swapping discs while driving, I just set up one playlist for the book. The selection of books at the library probably isn't as good as what you'd have online, but they could be played on an iPod or Zune. Zune really doesn't support DRM? Sheesh.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Interesting synchronicity on topics like this. I have just been looking into audio books for my sick brother. It seems that many libraries have download programs like this that are good for anyone. Some books you can only keep for a limited time and must play on WMP with DRM software. Others you can burn to CD and are free to dump on any MP3 player, including iPod. But for any of you who have visual or physical limitations there is a free national program that will mail books and very simple players directly to you. The players are allegedly very easy to use - good for visually/physically impaired but also good for technophobes. Here is the text of an email I got this morning from the person in charge in Illinois:

Good morning Mr. Heffernan,

Thank you for contacting us on behalf of your brother. We are part of a national program ( Home Page of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped ) that provides mail order public library service of audio or braille material to anyone who can't read standard print material.

Our program serves people with visual, physical and reading disabilities. Your brothers and sister are eligible for the program. There are talking book and braille service libraries in every state. Here are the websites for MD Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped and AZ ASLAPR -- Braille and Talking Book Library Division

Also, if you want to stop in at the DC Public Library, Adaptive Services Division, 901 G. Street, NW, Room 215, 20001, 202-727-2142, they could show the various machines that are available. I am not sure whether they provide PlayAways. That is an extra service we provide in IL. However, they are available in some public libraries and bookstores if you want to try them out.

Because your brother is a Chicago resident, his point of service is the Chicago Public Library Talking Book Center, 400 S. State St., 5th floor, Chicago, IL 60605, 312-747-1606. Once he is signed up for the service, the books he receives could come from any of our five state locations. A completed application should be sent to that address.

I can send your sister-in-law a packet of information about the program including an application. The Rehabilitation Center might have some on hand and could sign and certify that he is eligible. The application is available online:
http://www.shawls.lib.il.us/talkingb...20Service2.doc

I am not sure that the PlayAways are the best type of book for your brother. It depends on his physical ability to press small buttons. We have an Easy Cassette player available that also has a breath switch or other adaptive keys. Talking with his therapist at the RIC would give you a better idea of what he can actually do. There are options available and hopefully one of them will work for him.

I hope I have answered all your questions. I will need an address or email address to send your sister-in-law the information packet. If she has email, I can send the form location to her, she can print it and take it with her to the RIC for certification.

Just let me know what you would like me to do. I will be in the office all day today and tomorrow so if you would like me to call, send me a message and I will do that.

I hope your family does become involved with our program. It's one of those wonderful government services that hardly anyone knows about. Every day we get calls or notes telling us, "You saved my mother's life." That phrase is used over and over again. It's nice to go to work, knowing you make a big difference in people's lives.

Sincerely,
Sharon