Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's moving not fast enough for me. I just keep thinking how cool it would be if there were commercial/retails transportation to mars in my lifetime.

Also I hate to drive so I can't wait for driverless cars to pass all of the tech and legal hurdles.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Also I hate to drive so I can't wait for driverless cars to pass all of the tech and legal hurdles.
With you here! I hate driving, but love road trips. Boyfriend likes the trips, and the driving, but he can't always do it. I wonder if he'll trust the self-drivers. He sure won't trust another human being :P

So far, the self driving cars have had less issues than not, so fingers crossed that both the government and my boyfriend will come around

Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #23

Short answer: tech is moving along as best it can. I wouldn't have things any other way. After 35 years of growing up with all this innovation, I am ready for 35 more. I love when software or hardware breaks. Bring on more tech things.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Technology makes the workplace "keep up or lose out".
This is true of so many things. We each have a choice whether to stay mired in the past or try to keep up with the passage of time, but keeping up is always going to have its rewards and staying mired will always have its drawbacks.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
What are we missing, as we struggle to keep up with the quantum leap of technology? That's my question!

So far, the answer is not clear, though as I have more "slow" time, I begin to think more about humanity, and to sort out the differences between what I need to know, and what I want to know. I 'm leaning more towards spending more time in the outdoors, listening to the music I never seemed to have time for... Reading more about the world, and people, and the future... and digging into the relationships of people and governments around the world and the potential threats to life, like environmental degradation, nuclear risks, and overpopulation... So many things that are more important than the next social website, or news from the entertainment world.

It's too late to change for me, but I can't help but wonder where today's children will be when they get to be my age... and whether there will be any vestigial memories of the times that are still clear to me.
It's not too late to change -- I don't agree with that. It sounds like you are having a lot of worthwhile thoughts, and your attention is focusing on meaningful things rather than the transient BS most of us get caught up in.

The speed of change is much more rapid than it used to be. I remember reading Tom Peters and others talk vehemently about this, 20 years ago. Absolutely.

It is also true that all the technological advances have not coincided with any advancements in human happiness. In fact, the social indexes have decreased during the same period. I'm not saying there is any connection between the two -- but if there is, it would be hard to demonstrate that it has been an overall positive one.

"The culture of distraction," I heard it called once. I think that's pretty apt.

The only thing I would add is that we participate voluntarily in it. All the gadgets and media, etc., do not require that we pay attention to them. That's our choice. I say this as someone who regularly spends way too much time engaged in entertaining distractions of one sort or another, not holier than thou.

Anyhow, I enjoyed your thoughts. Good stuff.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's too late to change for me, but I can't help but wonder where today's children will be when they get to be my age... and whether there will be any vestigial memories of the times that are still clear to me.
It's always hard for me to tell if you have any interest in the questions you pose, or it you are just the board Socrates..

But if you are personally involved here, just climb off the train. I have quite a few friends who retired from academic or professional lives that gave them a good living without needing to master what we call technology. So they paid no attention to it. I joked to one guy that he really needed to get a cell phone. He said what for? I'm 73, well off, have a woman and have never had a cell phone. Why would I want one?

I see young couples passing by my place both with their faces buried in phones. No young guy in my generation would look at anything other than his woman when he was with a pretty woman, except regrettably sometimes another pretty woman.

Just because it is a change doesn't mean it is good.

Ha
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I do believe we are missing things that happen when technology or societal knowledge goes beyond what "we the people" understand, because we can't be on the front edge of what is affecting our lives... both directly or indirectly.

Who really knew the housing bubble was happening?
Who understood the bank bailouts?
Even now, who understands what part derivatives play in interest rates?
How long was nano second trading going on before we knew about it?
How long did it take for government spying (NSA) to become public?
What do retailers or online social groups know about you?
Dozens of lawyers chasing pharmaceutical errors that happened... why?
Why the F35 costs?
How much do doctors really know about ADHD?
Why does congress rely on lobbies for their knowledge?
Why has the US fallen so far back in edcuation?
Why hasn't technology paid off in medical costs? or National Health?
Why has the middle class income and standard of living fallen?

My dad was a textile worker with limited education, but he knew more about what was going on in government, the economy and his own personal welfare, than I do today...
Here is my theory: If not for today's communication technology, you wouldn't even know which questions to ask unless your local newspaper or radio station just happened to stumble upon these topics. You wouldn't even know they were issues. In effect, you don't know what you don't know.

I suspect that your father actually knew very little and it just seemed like the world was much simpler. In fact, the world was just as complex but nobody could see or hear anything beyond their own little day-to-day existence.

Look at people living in rural North Korea or China who don't get to benefit from open internet access. All they get is the heavily censored, revisionist-history (sometimes blatantly false), party line on whatever matter their government wishes to talk about. Very few of them probably even suspect that anything is missing.

Tim
Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It's always hard for me to tell if you have any interest in the questions you pose, or it you are just the board Socrates..

Yeah Imolder. Yours are often heavy questions set forth with a lot of angst from an old guy struggling to understand the world around him. Yet you seem to be getting by quite well in almost all respects, including technology. Oh well, keep posting your queries regardless the motivation, they are often very thought provoking.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I am not an early adopter but I love technology.

And for what children today will encounter techwise?

"I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, What a wonderful world."
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Early this morning out for a nice bike ride. We were going down this fabulous road; quiet and tree lined. Up ahead is a horseback rider. We are always cautious with horses and announce our arrival and cut a wide berth. The rider paid no attention. So we made more noise and finally startled the horse.

As we passed we noticed the rider was texting. Horseback texting, what has the world come to?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwalsh300 View Post
Here is my theory: If not for today's communication technology, you wouldn't even know which questions to ask unless your local newspaper or radio station just happened to stumble upon these topics. You wouldn't even know they were issues. In effect, you don't know what you don't know.

Tim
Good points. I wouldn't ever want to go back to my early day's where the small town newspaper and the major TV broadcasters were my only view of the world. That plus the local library with a modest book selection and magazines.

At least we know what questions to ponder now. And we can talk about it with people even if homebound and bedbound ... thanks to the web and forums like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My first novel is set near Emden East Frisia {northern Germany} in 1717. The rapid rate of technical change was a subject then, just like it is now. They were struggling with the effects of evironmental degradation from fuel extraction {peat}. People worried about what kind of world their children were growing up in. Gutenberg's invention caused such a marked drop in memory that scholars of his day lamented the death of education as they knew it.

But I know what you mean. For years I was able to control the beast in my study. I used Google to find 15th and 16th century texts I needed in my research, and left Face Book {stupid people saying stupid things} alone.

I can trace my downfall down to the day. My mom had been after me for a while to cut up a little garden spot for her. I was always so involved with my writing back then, it took me a month or two to do the thirty minute job. My old Ford 3930 tractor was having trouble with it's lift, so like I did for everything else, I Googled it. At the top of the page was a link to a forum about Ford 3930 hydraulics. Little did I know what that click would lead to.

I found good info for my problem, but I also found a community of tractor guys at TractorByNet.com. Soon I was not doing any writing at all, other than short posts on 'good morning' or 'I-phone photo of the day'.

A thread on retirement over there led me to you guys. Other threads have found the The Forestry Forum - Index for me. I do have money, tractors and timber, so all are good resources for information that I need. It is up to me to decide how much time I spend on them. So far the new hasn't wore off, so I spend way too much time reading and posting, and almost no time writing.

But I still have drawn the line at cell phones. The other night my friend came by my work to visit with me. While we were talking, he would constantly pull out his smart phone and read or send text and e-mails. Each time he would do this I would stop talking. It would take him a few seconds to even realize. Each time he would apologize and promise to put it away. But a few minutes later, it was back in his hand. And he is my age {52}. Young kids' brains are still evolving with this new technology. When a baby born today is my age, odds are the chips will be on the inside, not just in Google Glass.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #33

Quote:
I see young couples passing by my place both with their faces buried in phones. No young guy in my generation would look at anything other than his woman when he was with a pretty woman, except regrettably sometimes another pretty woman.
No guy in my generation would refer to any woman as "his" woman.

Quote:
Just because it is a change doesn't mean it is good.
Just because it is old doesn't mean it is good.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwalsh300 View Post

I suspect that your father actually knew very little and it just seemed like the world was much simpler. In fact, the world was just as complex but nobody could see or hear anything beyond their own little day-to-day existence.

Look at people living in rural North Korea or China who don't get to benefit from open internet access. All they get is the heavily censored, revisionist-history (sometimes blatantly false), party line on whatever matter their government wishes to talk about. Very few of them probably even suspect that anything is missing.

Tim
I think this is spot on. There have always been things that the people in power can and have done that we aren't aware of or have little power to stop. Technology can give them more power, but it also can give the people more awareness of it and hopefully have some power to stop.

Where I'm concerned about technology getting ahead of us is in weaponry. We got nukes 68 years ago, and we're still hoping to control who else has them. It seems like technology and knowledge make that closer and closer to being impossible, though maybe technology is helping us track uranium and monitor its use.

As far as a personal basis, you don't really have to keep up if you don't want to. We tried talking my parents a few years ago to get a DVR with their cable box but they just don't want to learn anything new, even if it could be more convenient. They have a cell phone for emergencies and could care less about accessing the internet with a smart phone, and I'll bet they've never texted.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Just because it is old doesn't mean it is good.
So are you annoyed if a woman refers to "her man", or this a one way problem of yours? Remember that great song, "Stand by Some Man.."? Or its sequel, "Stand by some properly chosen completely unattached self-directing erotic interest of unspecified classification"?

And regarding old etc, you perhaps don't realize that my statement is not invalidated by making an invalid attempt to inverse it. Catch up on some old disciplines like symbolic logic.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
...(snip)...
Where I'm concerned about technology getting ahead of us is in weaponry. We got nukes 68 years ago, and we're still hoping to control who else has them. It seems like technology and knowledge make that closer and closer to being impossible, though maybe technology is helping us track uranium and monitor its use.
I'm concerned too and feel that society forgets at it's peril. If biological warfare and/or nukes get used we will see a very different set of concerns in the media.
Quote:
As far as a personal basis, you don't really have to keep up if you don't want to. We tried talking my parents a few years ago to get a DVR with their cable box but they just don't want to learn anything new, even if it could be more convenient. They have a cell phone for emergencies and could care less about accessing the internet with a smart phone, and I'll bet they've never texted.
DVR -- new ones are wonderful
internet on smartphone -- not for me .... internet on tablet, yes ... smartphone with big screen, yes
texting -- who to, DW?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

bUU and Ha, come on guys ... I'm sure you both appreciate the opposite sex in your own way.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

Nukes can kill hundreds of thousands at a pop. With MIRV's that might get into the millions. A virus like we sent to damage the Iranian centrifuges can be sent back at us now. If the electrical grid was to go down for a few months, just as many people could die from starvation.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #39

Quote:
So are you annoyed if a woman refers to "her man", or this a one way problem of yours?
The problem is not with what I wrote.

Quote:
And regarding old etc, you perhaps don't realize that my statement is not invalidated by making an invalid attempt to inverse it.
Your original statement wasn't "valid" just because you made it.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
No guy in my generation would refer to any woman as "his" woman.
Really? Don't young men talk about "their girlfriend", or "their wife" in conversation? As in "My wife has a really great job", or "My girlfriend can change a flat faster than most guys." Girlfriends and wives are 'women', I think haha just used that terminology in a general sense.

-ERD50