Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

It does seem kind of disrespectful to refer to someone as your woman or your man instead of your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, or wife, because I don't think any of those titles disqualify them from being their own woman or man. I doubt I'd stay with anyone who referred to me that way, but I've never met anyone who does.

As far as technology moving too fast, not as an entity, but for us to keep up, it seems that that's just the way the world is for humans, whether for technology, or social phrases like the one being discussed.

We change and adapt, biologically, very well up until certain ages where we naturally become a bit more set in our ways. It's not completely set, but it's a lot more set, and so it might seem like everything is moving too fast, but it's a combination of things moving and the human naturally slowing down, is what I'd imagine the case is.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think haha just used that terminology in a general sense.
Let's go forward assuming that, then.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This just shows how easy it is to be misunderstood. Remember the context of my remark- two unknown young people of opposite sex walking down the street together.(Or sitting in a restaurant, or any thing similar. I think my people reading skills are good enough to tell that people are together, but certainly not good enough to know if they are "boyfriend" 'girlfriend" "husband" "wife" "SO" etc. As to using woman in reference to girl-what female over 18 wants to be called a girl? None that I know. Remember, it has been feminist women who have taught us to use the term woman, never girl(disrespectful) or female (too biological, may imply a childrearing role, too confining etc.), or lady (Puleeze, are you stuck in some tired old outdated idea that you have not had the sensitivity or wit to deconstruct?)

I don't think any woman has ever felt disrespected by me, or if so she did not telegraph that.

I certainly have never felt disrespected by some person of whatever gender calling me a man. Few know better than I how independent people are and how what you think is very stable is not necessarily so. People are always free to make whatever arrangements they like, and IMO that tis the way things should be.

Women tend to speak of wanting "a relationship". Well, I don't completely understand this, as most of them have many relationships, many of them more satisfying than most relationships with a man will ever be, outside of sex and showing your friends and mother than you "have one". I don't suppose I have ever heard a man say he wanted "a relationship". I sure don't know any who have, but obviously there are many men I do not know. Most of us are not quite that abstract in our desires.

One other piece of context- I live in the lgbt center of a city that along with Vancouver and Portland are the most urbane north of SF and west of Chicago. I would go nuts trying to keep up with whatever the latest nuances of acceptable terminology are. Talk about a learning curve!

Anyhow, no more observations about the oddness of people being together with their heads buried in phones.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #44

Each generation finds/has its own way and the older generation cannot comprehend it.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Getting awfully politically correct here... I hear plenty of young men refer to "my girl" or "my woman." Likewise, young women will refer to "my man." They say it with pride, not derision. And it's not a generation-specific term. Btw, would offense be taken to saying "my wife" or "my husband"? Well why not? Let's brand all use of the word "my" as sexist and objectifying. Uh oh, earlier today I talked to someone about "my dog." I feel guilty. I had better apologize to her for my insensitive use of the possessive.

People need to lighten up about this politically correct language stuff. Sheesh.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Why don't we go back to the OP's intention in this thread!!!

The title is "Technology moving too fast?"

If you want to talk about how guys see women, how about starting another thread.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Why don't we go back to the OP's intention in this thread!!!
The title is "Technology moving too fast?"

If you want to talk about how guys see women, how about starting another thread.
Truly. The only point in bringing it up in the first place is that the antiquated manner toward women went, explicitly or inadvertently, hand-in-glove with the antiquated manner toward technology. walkinwood summarized the situation very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Each generation finds/has its own way and the older generation cannot comprehend it.
That is the crux of the issue.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So are you annoyed if a woman refers to "her man", or this a one way problem of yours? Remember that great song, "Stand by Some Man.."? Or its sequel, "Stand by some properly chosen completely unattached self-directing erotic interest of unspecified classification"?
I always liked that old song "Every Day With Your Girl (Is Sweeter Than A Day With Mine)"...

Or something like that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #49

I hate to break up a loverly discussion about sexism, but I'd kinda like to go back to the beginning of the discussion and retry the original question, with what I had hoped was the original intent.... l

"Technology moving too fast?" For anyone who thought that the intent was to say "We'd better slow down technology"... let me disabuse you of that thought...
My momma had an ugly child, she didn't have a stupid child.

So let's go back to this post, that I hoped would put the question in perspective...

Quote:
I do believe we are missing things that happen when technology or societal knowledge goes beyond what "we the people" understand, because we can't be on the front edge of what is affecting our lives... both directly or indirectly.

Who really knew the housing bubble was happening?
Who understood the bank bailouts?
Even now, who understands what part derivatives play in interest rates?
How long was nano second trading going on before we knew about it?
How long did it take for government spying (NSA) to become public?
What do retailers or online social groups know about you?
Dozens of lawyers chasing pharmaceutical errors that happened... why?
Why the F35 costs?
How much do doctors really know about ADHD?
Why does congress rely on lobbies for their knowledge?
Why has the US fallen so far back in edcuation?
Why hasn't technology paid off in medical costs? or National Health?
Why has the middle class income and standard of living fallen?
The questions were posted, because most of the events that were mentioned, had already happened before most of our citizens even had a clue as to how or why they happened. The "TECHNOLOGY" that allowed them to happen occurred within the government, or private companies... long before they cme to the attention of the general public. The general public learned about them after the fact.
After the fact means after the events had already cost the public when they became aware. The horse was out of the barn.

So... although some perceive my opinion to be that of some old fart, sitting in his room alone and wishing back the "olden days"... I am well aware of the benefits of technology, but thought it might be well to point out that as "On Top of Tech" as many feel... there are challenges in the works, that you and I don't even know about... even as we speak.

Oh...one more thing... Technology does not by definition mean IT. Fracking, Fusion, Fission and Fomite... might be things that are getting ahead of us.

Thank you all for your interesting input... Made me feel good about being here. After some 22 years of posting on forums, the folks here are by far,
#1!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Oh...one more thing... Technology does not by definition mean IT. Fracking, Fusion, Fission and Fomite... might be things that are getting ahead of us.
Humans are not so good at asking "what if" questions. Fracking, for instance, has opened much needed petroleum supplies, which increases our GDP, and reduces our balance of payment and dependence on foreign supplies. But is it as safe/clean as we're being told? Count me as skeptical...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is how I remember it from my school days. I may be wrong, though.

Technology- tools and the knowledge to use them.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
The questions were posted, because most of the events that were mentioned, had already happened before most of our citizens even had a clue as to how or why they happened. The "TECHNOLOGY" that allowed them to happen occurred within the government, or private companies... long before they cme to the attention of the general public. The general public learned about them after the fact.
After the fact means after the events had already cost the public when they became aware. The horse was out of the barn.
I agree that in modern times it does feel like tech is moving too fast. I worked in the electronics industry for 30 years and always felt like it was a bit too much. I lived in Silicon Valley and people from all over the world came there to live and work. These people were (are) very smart indeed. You never knew enough, even in your narrow area of expertise -- there was always a race and I wasn't an elite runner, good but not in front of the whole pack.

Should we expect the public to be in front on tech, let alone on public policy and foreign affairs? Let's face it, most of us are followers.
Quote:
Thank you all for your interesting input... Made me feel good about being here. After some 22 years of posting on forums, the folks here are by far,
#1!
Should I take a bow now?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #53

Quote:
I hate to break up a loverly discussion about sexism, but I'd kinda like to go back to the beginning of the discussion and retry the original question, with what I had hoped was the original intent....
Thanks for getting things back on track, my man.

Quote:
[...] but thought it might be well to point out that as "On Top of Tech" as many feel... there are challenges in the works, that you and I don't even know about... even as we speak.
Absotively. Cybersecurity issues, for instance...
Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

One of my favorite phrases, said after struggling or watching others struggle with a balky application: "ah, yes, Man in the service of Technology!"
Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So... although some perceive my opinion to be that of some old fart, sitting in his room alone and wishing back the "olden days"... I am well aware of the benefits of technology...
But you've stated or implied multiple times that earlier generations "knew more" than people do today. While there are some potentially negative consequences of today's technological advancement, I just don't think that any of them involve people becoming less informed or less aware of the world around them. On the contrary, I think the most obvious benefit has been a global, free flow of information.

Governments and corporations have always done shady things. Today we might learn about them after the fact, but I think we learn about them and engage in heated public discourse much quicker than we used to. Technology has made attempts at secrecy and censorship increasingly futile, even for groups like the NSA that exist at the pinnacle of technological expertise. And I suspect that a fear of being found guilty in the court of public opinion now prevents a lot of bad behavior by otherwise powerful organizations.

I guess I've beaten that horse to death.

The consequence that I most often worry about is this: Traditional economic theory says that automation doesn't destroy jobs, it creates new ones (e.g. automobiles displace people in the horse business, but allow for those people to begin building or repairing cars instead). At some point, however, I wonder if the new jobs require more sophisticated skills than displaced workers are capable of developing. That time may already be upon us as highly-paid jobs for STEM workers go unfilled while the unemployment rate is 7-8% and people struggle. I'm afraid that not everyone has the intellectual horsepower to be an engineer, so how do they earn a living wage going forward?

Tim
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Just to jump back on the sex terminology generational digression for a second. My 30 something daughter in law from NYC has referred to my son as "my man" for the ten years she has known him. The terminology grates on my ears but I noticed her sister and some of her NYC girl friends use it too. Maybe it is an upper east side thing rather than a generational thing.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #57

Yeah, it's a subculture thing, not a generational thing. Certain subcultures use it. Others don't.

Okay, back to our debate about whether robots are going to take over the earth.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwalsh300 View Post
The consequence that I most often worry about is this: Traditional economic theory says that automation doesn't destroy jobs, it creates new ones (e.g. automobiles displace people in the horse business, but allow for those people to begin building or repairing cars instead). At some point, however, I wonder if the new jobs require more sophisticated skills than displaced workers are capable of developing. That time may already be upon us as highly-paid jobs for STEM workers go unfilled while the unemployment rate is 7-8% and people struggle. I'm afraid that not everyone has the intellectual horsepower to be an engineer, so how do they earn a living wage going forward?

Tim
I am very interested in this development too, it's something I've really enjoyed watching over the course of my life. I'm lucky enough to be born to programmers, raised in a programming world, put into gifted programs as a child, and consistently engage with friends and groups innovating in technology. A different friend has a successful tech Kickstarter every week lately. So I have no issues understanding tech, but I'm also very aware that plenty of people aren't of the skill level to work in those jobs.

On a much more personal level, I see it as a chance to develop a new economic system, obviously over the course of the coming decades and centuries. Technology has shaped societies in unimaginable ways over the years, and I only see it doing even moreso. Bitcoin mining is an interesting study of microevolution I've thought.

I don't quite know how things may change, but as humans, we have had relatively limited material off which we could base our economy, and I am excited to see how that changes in the coming sink-or-swim years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Yeah, it's a subculture thing, not a generational thing. Certain subcultures use it. Others don't.

Okay, back to our debate about whether robots are going to take over the earth.
My parents are in their 30s, from Tennessee and Georgia, and they find it as creepy as I do, so yeah, I'd definitely imagine it's subculture-based, like everything else :P Generalizations are another thing I wish were left in the past, but they like to hold on with all the other colloquialisms, guess I gotta live with it
Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #59

Quote:
Traditional economic theory says that automation doesn't destroy jobs, it creates new ones
Though it doesn't say specifically where those new jobs will be created. The concerns I hear people losing jobs today talking about have an undercurrent of concern about the prospect of the prosperity of the developed world being spread thinner and thinner as the population of the developed world becomes bigger.

Quote:
At some point, however, I wonder if the new jobs require more sophisticated skills than displaced workers are capable of developing.
I believe we can rely on that being a temporary condition, remedied by the vacuum for such skills created by the need for them. However, that doesn't mean the remedy will necessarily be applied to the same people who were displaced. It could just as well be applied to anyone anywhere. See above.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #60

Even the smartest have trouble dealing with change: