Join Early Retirement Today

TED
Old 03-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

TED

Technology-Entertainment-Design
... is the way it started out, but today, TED covers most aspects of life.

Have you- Do you watchTED?

I started with it on Netflix, and am hooked. Not all the time, because it can be heavy, and sometimes ya just don't wanna have to think... but for interest in what's going on in the world, a great source.

The recent thread on Singularity, came from watching the Larry page interview with Charlie Rose, and now the NSA's response to the recent TED interview with Edward Snowden makes for interest in the news behind the news.

The breadth of topics is infinite, from business, art, music, health, to sex, to animal behavior, work rules, and yes, retirement.

It's not an all day thing... most talks ranges from about 5 minutes to a half hour. The hardest thing for me to handle was the humility of finding out how much I don't know... followed by the disheartening revelation that I'll never know.

So... do you or have you watched TED?
The newer website allows you to watch online. Give it a try... here:

https://www.ted.com/

Two brand new talks just posted today:
Quote:
What will blow our minds in the *next* 30 years?

What will be the most important driver of change in the future?
Like you don't have enough to do.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Have you- Do you watchTED?
Probably watch at least once/week if not more (usually on iPad), as do others here. High quality, sometimes unusual topics/presentations. I'd recommend it also...
Attached Images
File Type: png TED-logo.png (26.0 KB, 12 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I have watched several TED talks. My favourite one to date has been Jill Bolte Taylor's description of her stroke at age 38.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep. Snowden was brilliant.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my favorite all time Ted Talks was the one delivered by Elizabeth Gilbert (author of Eat, Pray, Love). Although I did not care for the book, I did enjoy her musings on how "creative genius" has been handled by different cultures over the years. Not only was the content insightful, but, also, her delivery of the presentation was very engaging.

For anyone interested, here is the link...
Elizabeth Gilbert: Your elusive creative genius | Talk Video | TED
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Yep. Snowden was brilliant.
And the NSA didn't waste any time responding on TED a few days later.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I like to read the transcripts sometimes instead of watching them.
Here's a favorite to share:
John Francis: Walk the earth ... my 17-year vow of silence | Talk Video | TED

John Francis is a great writer--after I watched this, I picked up a couple of his books from the library. He was also the subject of some lively debate among friends about his ideas.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I need to watch some more of them. I've seen a few that I think are fascinating and very thought-provoking, then I seemed to run in to a streak that I found 'self-absorbed' or 'self-congratulating', and it kind of turned me off. One might have been a documentary on TED itself (or TEDx?) - IIRC the attendees paid a pretty high admission fee, and I got the impression that the applause the presenters got was largely because the audience was all caught up in 'the thing' itself, rather than taking a critical analysis of the presentation. They get all kinda "ooooohhhh' and 'aaaawww' over everything, like every presenter is going to save the world.

But I really do need to watch more, and not let a few questionable ones spoil the good for me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw Ted. That nasty foul-mouthed teddy bear really had me cracking up!
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #10

I've watched four or five, as I come across ones that interest me. Not all do of course. But the quality overall strikes me as excellent.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Makes for interesting viewing on a plane while traveling. The iPad app allows you to download for offline viewing.

One of my favorites is Susan Kaine's talk on the Power of Introverts. I really identified with the part about how interior designers are tearing down or truncating our cubicle walls - what's left of our offices - so we can all "collaborate." Like I need to listen to the idiot next door make every single phone call in his life on the speakerphone.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm not a fan. Maybe I hit a bunch of bad ones. I don't like some of the agendas being pushed in the background. I find some of the presentations pompous.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

I enjoy Hans Rosling's presentations. Some examples
Hans Rosling: Debunking third-world myths with the best stats you've ever seen - YouTube
Hans Rosling's 200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes - The Joy of Stats - BBC Four - YouTube
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #14

I enjoyed the TED videos talked about in the previous comments.

This is my all time favorite TED talk. Titled "Gratitude"
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
One of my favorites is Susan Kaine's talk on the Power of Introverts. I really identified with the part about how interior designers are tearing down or truncating our cubicle walls - what's left of our offices - so we can all "collaborate." Like I need to listen to the idiot next door make every single phone call in his life on the speakerphone.
I'm a bit more cynical about corporate motivations (surprise, surprise). I suspect they just don't want you to have any privacy. And I also suspect a lot of it is to make it harder for you to goof off or surf the Internet for personal use without being seen.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have enjoyed many TED talks, particularly those from the early years and/or from the full TED conferences. TEDx, which are regional TED lite conferences, seem to be a mixed bag with a lot of lesser presentations IMO.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I watched a speaker talk about the secret to a successful TED presentation:
- relating a personal experience
- ensuring its relevance to audience
- memorable
Length 18 minutes.

I know use this as a model to evaluate the videos.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have enjoyed many TED talks, particularly those from the early years and/or from the full TED conferences. TEDx, which are regional TED lite conferences, seem to be a mixed bag with a lot of lesser presentations IMO.
Agreed. I've watched maybe one hundred 'real' TED talks (subscribed to their channel years ago through 'Miro'). Can't say I made it to the end of a lot of them...I know it's laudable to help the poor in other countries, but after a few of those, I would sometimes bail after the intro. I do think TEDx waters-down the TED brand a bit. I've read quite a few books after hearing the author give a TED talk...great source for keeping ideas flowing!!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Agreed. I've watched maybe one hundred 'real' TED talks (subscribed to their channel years ago through 'Miro'). Can't say I made it to the end of a lot of them...I know it's laudable to help the poor in other countries, but after a few of those, I would sometimes bail after the intro. I do think TEDx waters-down the TED brand a bit. I've read quite a few books after hearing the author give a TED talk...great source for keeping ideas flowing!!
I started watching TED talks early, and still do. Just watched Sergei Brin's interviewed by Charlie Rose.

But I really think the regional TEDx have watered down the brand so much that I find myself back to watching TED talks almost exclusively by big name folks.

It used to be you can watch Bill Gate talk about 3rd world health problems,and then listen to some Doctor you never heard of describe some big breakthrough in AIDs, or Malaria and get two fascinating talks. Now days you can still hear Bill Gates talk, but the follow on talk is most often, some well intentioned college kid who thinks his windmill he made of recycle coke cans and put up in the Congo is the secret for solving world hunger.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Fair pay experiment:

https://youtu.be/meiU6TxysCg

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote