Teddy Roosevelt and Yellowstone

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
We took a trip in our RV a couple of weeks ago out to Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota and to Yellowstone. First time out there. I hope I don't clog up your downloads with my pictures:

The ubiquitous bison:

img_434874_0_dd04a4a9d9144357ab21ef7ca3f861f8.jpg

Bison poo, with praire dog for scale:

yellowstoneSept06328.jpg

Trees cooking in hot sulferous soil:

yellowstoneSept06348.jpg

Geyser, not Old Faithful:

yellowstoneSept06384.jpg

Canyon, not Grand:

yellowstoneSept06410.jpg

And a stop at the Corn Palace on the way back home:

yellowstoneSept06258.jpg

The outside is covered in corn.

Martha, did you stop at Mt Rushmore? Or Devils Tower? Or go thru Custer State Park? Or drive the Needles Highway? Or Spearfish Canyon?

Great pictures btw... I love it out there :)

Not this time. We have been to the Black Hills a number of times and skipped it. We were going to stop at Devil's Tower, but it was raining so we didn't.

Almost Ex-Germ Wife:

You forgot to tell folks about our inside visit to The Corn Palace, watching about 400 old farts dancing to Zydeco-Polka music. And all dressed up in their fancy 'go to the dance' clothes. Mmmmm! 70 yr. old women with short skirts twirling and dipping, better than Paris--Hilton that is.

I really enjoyed those pictures, thanks!

Thanks, Martha!

How were the crowds? Other than at the Corn Palace, I mean...

Yellowstone has to be one of the best parks (and definitely the most colorful) in the world I have ever visited.

A few things I remember is the vast numbers of dead trees lying on the mountains that look like scattered large toothpicks from a distance. I remember one of the park rangers telling us some of the trees from the 86(?) fire are still falling to this day!

One of my favorite places in Yellowstone was the long loop walk around Mammoth Hot Springs. I remember the waves of hot sulfer-smelling air that would hit every so often like you're in a convection oven.

Now I want to go back!!!

Nords said:
Thanks, Martha!

How were the crowds? Other than at the Corn Palace, I mean...

We went afer school was back in session, so there were hardly any families. There were a fair number of people nevertheless. But, we didn't have to make reservations at any campgrounds or restaurants, and the park personnel said it wasn't very crowded.

retire@40 said:
A few things I remember is the vast numbers of dead trees lying on the mountains that look like scattered large toothpicks from a distance. I remember one of the park rangers telling us some of the trees from the 86(?) fire are still falling to this day!

Still dead trees standing from the 1986 fire:
yellowstoneteddyrooseSept06305.jpg

My first trip to SD was in 87, the burned areas were like a wasteland, I'll never forget how that looked.

Martha,
Have you been to Yosemite yet? You might like it better than Yellowstone and you can park your RV there - if it isn't too big.

I've been traveled north from Texas, west to Washington, south through California and currently in Sedona.
Have fun!

Nice pics. I've never been to Yellowstone so it's high on my list of places to visit. Not sure where I'm going on my first trip as a retiree. I know I want to go on a cruise next year. I also want to drive to southern UT and hike some of the canyons there. So many things to see. :)

DOG52 said:
...So many things to see. :)

And so little time to do them all.

Life is too short to waste working when there so many things to enjoy and experience.

Dex, we haven't been to Yosemite yet. Maybe this coming spring.

Dog, we have been to Bryce Canyon and Zion in Utah. Well worth it. Most of the hiking is work. Don't go down further than you are willing to go up. :)

Martha said:

Dog, we have been to Bryce Canyon and Zion in Utah. Well worth it. Most of the hiking is work. Don't go down further than you are willing to go up. :)

I tried Angels Landing in Zion - I couldn't overcome my fear of hights.
http://utahrockclimbing.com/Zion_Angels_Landing.html

Martha,
There are many great hikes in Yosemite - you'll love it!

One of my friends told me of going to the Grand Canyon, walking up to a railing and looking over the edge. He suddenly dropped to his knees he was so startled by the huge drop off. He had to crawl away from the edge.

I get a bit of that feeling too.

Martha said:

I was at the Corn Palace in late July, on our way out to Mount Rushmore and the like................had a great trip, excedpt it was 106 out when we drove the Badlands Loop, and it never got below 100 degrees in Rapid City the whole week........ :eek:

astromeria said:
I visited the Corn Palace in 1972--looked about the same :)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I saw the pictures from 1941...........looks the same........... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom